Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any feedback on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased some Turbines mounted on Hancook V12 evo2's and wanted to confirm what PSI everyone is running at. On my 19's mounted on Michelins I'm running the Tesla recommend 50 but I've seen recommendations including 42, 45, and 50.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with my Hankooks. We got the car this spring CPO, so the car was aligned and had at least 6mm of tread depth per the contract CPO contract. My service center been able to locate the documents beside the service record so I don't have any of the tread measurements or alignment specs. I'm taking Tesla at their word that it the service was performed correctly.

The car came with Conti Extremecontact DW 245/35ZR21 which had about 4K miles on them. We replaced them at 7K miles as they were down to 2 mm in some of the tires and 3-5 elsewhere. I had a fair bit of fun when I first got the car.

After reading this thread, looking at others here and across the web, and a lot of going back and forth between the Hankooks of Michelins I thought I'd give the Hankooks a try as they did well on my previous car.

I got the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 from tirerack.com and had them mounted and road forced balanced by one of the local recommended installers at the end of August. I've been trying to be nicer to my tires, not launching off the line and in general trying to keep my accel to 80KW.

Last week I had the car in for an unrelated service and I asked for the tread depth to be measured and came back with 6 mm on the fronts and 4-5 mm in the rear. The tires had 3200 miles on them, mostly around town as my kids taxi and one road trip to Southern California.

To be fair, the road noise is as good or slightly quieter than the Contis, the traction is as good or better, the Watts/Miles is about the same, but the tread life seems to suck. The tires don't have a tread life warranty like the Michelins. Next time I'd spend the extra cash and get the Michellins. At this point I'm hoping that Santa brings my some 19s and some Michelin rubber.

As always, your mileage may vary.

An update on my Evos:

Took car in for annual service and had tires measured and rotated as part of service. At service there were at 8K miles and averaging 341 Wh/mi. Tread on the tires is showing 4-5 mm all around.

Maybe the Hot AZ late summer road ate the first 3-4 mm of tread or they were mismeasured at the first rotation.

I'm still planning on running them down to ~2mm then switching to 19s since I acquired wheels from a member just after Christmas.

Based on a number of posts in this thread, those who are getting poor mileage on the rear tires of any brand might consider getting adjustable camber links. Tesla specs on the rear camber almost guarantees poor wear. With adjustable links you can set the rear camber to -1.0 which much reduces the problem. Spec is -2.1min and -1.40 max. Most service centers set it within that range.

There are several threads on adjustable links and they're worth reading.

Just to update my post, I recently down to 19s. I ran the Hankooks down to 1-2 mm above the wear bar, and they were replaced at ~16K miles averaging 341 W/mi here in AZ.

Either the outer third of the tire is super soft and wears very quickly or my local service center had a unique way a measuring tread depth. I have no idea why the tires appeared to wear so quickly at the beginng.

I have 4K miles on a set of Evo2 in size 245/40-20 (gave up on 21's and found a set of 20's on Tirerack). I've been consistently impressed with the wet traction, much better than Michelin PS2 (21"). I've rotated the 20's once and so far I'm not seeing any noticeable wear, maybe a mm or two.