Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any gov incentive for PW2 for CA resident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have reserved my PowerWall 2 about a month ago and was told that the current wait is about 12 months. So in the meantime, I would like to do some research and see if there is any government and/or tax credit program which I can take advantage of. I live in Northern CA with PG&E as my utilities company.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Really? How can I justify/prove the case to IRS? I have a 5.5kW solar system and is planning for a 3 unit PW2 (which is about 39kWh?)
The logs should help. I presume you are only going to use a fraction of the powerwall each day. 5 hours of isolation should generate 25kWhrs of energy. You can control how much of the 39kWhr capacity you plan to use each day.

Last edited:
From the SGIP thread, it seems like the Powerwall can be eligible for either Investment Tax Credit or SGIP but not both. How is the two different?
No, that's not right. If you get the SGIP, then your basis for calculating the ITC is your net cost, and the ITC would be up to 30% of the net cost.

Claiming the ITC requires that your batteries be charged primarily from your solar power. There is a 75% cliff, in that if the charging percentage is less than 75%, you get no ITC. At 75% or above, the ITC is pro-rated by the charging percentage. So if you charge the Powerwall 80% from solar, the ITC would be 24% of your net cost.

Cheers, Wayne

I have a 5.5kW solar system and is planning for a 3 unit PW2 (which is about 39kWh?)
Note that other people have reported that SGIP for "Small Residential" for Tesla Powerwall is already sold out for all steps. However, SGIP for "Large Scale Storage" applies to 3 or more Powerwalls and is currently available for Step 2 with PG&E. Tesla is only about 90% of the way towards exhausting its Step 2 Large Scale Storage developer cap, so they may have room for you still; you'd have to check with them to see how big the queue is. There are some additional requirements to meet for Large Scale Storage than don't apply to Small Residential.

Also, in "Large Scale Storage" there is a reduced reimbursement rate if you take the ITC. So in that category you may be better off taking SGIP only, rather than SGIP plus ITC.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the info. They sure make it complicated. So IRS will actually audit the source for the charge? It seems like something hard to check/audit.

No, that's not right. If you get the SGIP, then your basis for calculating the ITC is your net cost, and the ITC would be up to 30% of the net cost.

Claiming the ITC requires that your batteries be charged primarily from your solar power. There is a 75% cliff, in that if the charging percentage is less than 75%, you get no ITC. At 75% or above, the ITC is pro-rated by the charging percentage. So if you charge the Powerwall 80% from solar, the ITC would be 24% of your net cost.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the info. They sure make it complicated. So IRS will actually audit the source for the charge? It seems like something hard to check/audit.
I imagine that if you take the ITC for a solar charged battery, and you get audited, then the auditor may ask you to demonstrate that the percentage of solar power used to charge the battery is in accordance with the ITC taken. Tesla should have the necessary logs to demonstrate this. I forget if this requirement for the ITC remains in force for 5 years or 10 years.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks again for the info. I guess when the time comes, I will see if the Tesla rep may have some idea.

I imagine that if you take the ITC for a solar charged battery, and you get audited, then the auditor may ask you to demonstrate that the percentage of solar power used to charge the battery is in accordance with the ITC taken. Tesla should have the necessary logs to demonstrate this. I forget if this requirement for the ITC remains in force for 5 years or 10 years.

Cheers, Wayne