Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Interest in a Tesla to J1772 adaptor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made an adaptor that will take your tesla plug and adapt it to a J1772 so you can charge a non tesla car, like a bolt volt leaf, etc.

Any interest in a part like that? Right now it would be just the plug, and you would have to solder on your own wires to the plug.

And before people say "you can buy it off tesla's website" No you can't. The one on tesla is from a J1772 to a tesla, so you can charge your tesla with a J1772 plug.

Let me know.

Thanks
Eric

Funny, but I was just thinking about that today. I would be interested in one that's ready to go (no soldering or other DIY aspects), and I'd expect it to be in the price range of what Tesla sells the other direction for ($95 retail, IIRC). I haven't looked yet to see if there's one on the market. If there is, I'm guessing it'd cost more than $95....

I made an adaptor that will take your tesla plug and adapt it to a J1772 so you can charge a non tesla car, like a bolt volt leaf, etc.

Any interest in a part like that? Right now it would be just the plug, and you would have to solder on your own wires to the plug.

And before people say "you can buy it off tesla's website" No you can't. The one on tesla is from a J1772 to a tesla, so you can charge your tesla with a J1772 plug.

Let me know.

Thanks
Eric

So does your adapter have a female Tesla receptacle on one side and a J1772 handle on the other side?

I had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage for my Tesla. When I got a Leaf I wanted a 240 volt charging option. A J1772 adaptor for my Tesla mobile connector would have been great to have.
I ended up getting a splitter from Brad at BSA Electronics. I purchased the RV Buddy splitter but had him install the LCD display so I could monitor the current so I did not exceed 40 amps.
With this I can keep both EVSE plugged in and charging.
RV Buddy 50A 240v Splitter, NEMA 14-50 plug to two 14-50 outlets
IMG_6563.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I have my FIRST prototype done and have been using it for a while now. I use it to charge my Cmax energi.

Here are a few pics of the 2nd gen. I ran out of black and had to print the back half out of white. I also made the white shorter to print faster. I plan to make it about 1" longer so you have a bit more to hold on to. I plan to make a better lock with a real spring shortly. I am 3D printing them right now to test them out, but I may make them out of plastic rod. I don't think I'll injection mold them because the volume will be low, and I don't know anybody in china.

I will also have an ABS 3D printed version. That one will be the cheapest, and the machined one will be more. Still figuring out how much it will be.

The 2 main power pins will be copper. The ground will be copper, and the control will be stainless steel.
IMG_20170506_190100.jpg
IMG_20170506_185941.jpg

I understand, and laud, the intent as I've been looking for an adapter for my HWPC to allow more PlugShare use, though you may wish to chat with @hcsharp or Tony at QCpower first to understand the concerns on constraints (e.g. Heat), tolerances and sourcing the right components. This appears easy at first, though is a lot more complex to do safely.

By having a reverse adapter, you can service all EVs sold with a HPWC, and charge Teslas at a high rate. Because there is currently (har) no real purpose for a J1772 L2 of more than 32 amps since J1772 cars are 32 amps or less.

Since an HPWC is about the price of a 24 amp J1772, it is a benefit for everybody.

Because there is currently (har) no real purpose for a J1772 L2 of more than 32 amps since J1772 cars are 32 amps or less.
What about all the Tesla based EV's like our Rav's, the MB's and other "modded" cars like my Leaf that can pull 10kw? You get this built and put this on Endless Sphere and those guys will love you!

You have to figure 40a or 10kw is the limit. The pins are there and already spec'd or built. Just do it (doo-eet).

Reactions: Cowby