Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any luck with recent Y SR orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Model Y SR last weekend, VIN #109xxx and it has the old console. It was obviously a car the Service Centre's already had in inventory, because I got it in about a week. Anyway, I'm ok with the old console. I did get the heated steering wheel, double pane glass windows, and the 128GB USB stick in the glove box. Old headlights obviously, too. Build date was something like January 9 or 10th, 2021, before the new consoles started.
Interesting.. Thank you for sharing. Now I'm wondering if my MY gonna have old console and my SA was wrong saying that it was built a day ago 🤔

Originally ordered Los Angeles, SoCal MSM YSR with hitch on February 1st. Got a call from the my sales advisor today saying there was an YSR MSM without the hitch on its way down from the factory in Fremont and the original buyer couldn't take delivery (they were still waiting on CVAP approval) and wanted to know if I wanted to be matched to that VIN. Still not knowing if or when Tesla will produce a YSR MSM with the hitch, I decided to take it and have the hitch installed later (this can be ordered from Tesla for $1,200 and includes installation so it's going to cost me an extra $200). My born date is 2/18/2021 / VIN 133xxx. Sales advisor confirmed the vehicle has the refreshed center console.
Just to add, the reason I made the decision to match with an available VIN even though it didn't match the configuration I ordered was because my sales advisor informed me that out of all the orders at his location mine was the only order that has never shown a soft match or estimated deliver date on his side and because of this could slip through the cracks (seems like there are many at Tesla!). Given that I needed to take delivery by the end of March, he recommended I take this VIN to insure I would be able to take delivery by the end of the month and not run the risk of my delivery flowing into Q2.

hey guys few days ago i asked to unpaired with my model y sr order due to waiting for CVAP approval, but i dont think the application would have been approved by the last sr production so i asked to find a new one. I got matched with one with vin # 1219xx but im trying to figure out if mine is going to come with the new heat pump, center console, heated steering wheel, dual pane windows, and headlights. Any help?

All Model Y’s since production started have the heat pump. Heated steering wheel and dual pain glass have been on all models since the end of 2020 I believe so you should have all those features. According to all the Tesla Sales advisors I have spoken too recently, all Model Y’s manufactured AFTER February 7th, 2021 have the refreshed center console. Contact a Telsa Sales Manager and ask them for the “born date” of your VIN (this will include the day, month and year) and they will be able to determine from that if it has the refreshed console.

I ordered my SR MY on 2/28 and while sifting through the inventory with my SA, we noticed that Canada had a large inventory of SR MY. He stated that it's possible that if they don't sell, Tesla may ship that inventory to the states.

There are 68 in Canada, 120 in US. Base price in Canada is C$54,900 which at current exchange rates in $44,000. Not only will you pay $4,000 more to have a Canadian Y, you will also be on the hook for a large shipping cost depending on your location. Not to mention Tesla has already paid some type of import tax to get the vehicles into Canada (10% based on price?). And you’d have to pay some type of tax to import them back to the US (another 10%?). Might as well buy a new LR Y by that point.

There are 68 in Canada, 120 in US. Base price in Canada is C$54,900 which at current exchange rates in $44,000. Not only will you pay $4,000 more to have a Canadian Y, you will also be on the hook for a large shipping cost depending on your location. Not to mention Tesla has already paid some type of import tax to get the vehicles into Canada (10% based on price?). And you’d have to pay some type of tax to import them back to the US (another 10%?). Might as well buy a new LR Y by that point.
There is no import tax on importing a car from US to CAD as long as it's made in North America. remember USMCA (new NAFTA).

S
Ok. Then why the extra $4,000? And they won’t ship it here. I tried to order and use a US zip code and it wouldn’t allow it so there has to be some regulation that is preventing this.
Separate companies. Tesla Canada owns the car. Same as buying something at Walmart in different countries. Only company I know that works seemlessly access the border is Costco. You can buy in the US and return in Canada.

I placed an order on Monday when I called the dealer. The SA found me a car in Texas. I am currently living in SoCal. Appointment for delivery will be Thursday. I’ve got MVPA ready to go. Vin was assigned right away. The car has 15 miles on it.

White-Black with 19s.

Easy-breezy.

Last edited:
Reactions: noelegacy
Wow, $1,000 extra to go to NorCal. Texas, Florida, New York, Chicago were all $2,000 for us. Oh well. Still saved a bunch compared to LR Y.
Indeed. When I called the original dealer where I bought my Model 3 in August, the sales rep(not my first SA) said “I can’t order a SRMY, even if Elon said it’s off menu.” The rep said “I’ll send you over a catalog for a LR”. I knew something didn’t sound right, I decided to call another dealer, and sure enough the sales rep went into the system, found me a SR MY and placed the order on the spot. He said there were some in the system. Got my VIN, and RN immediately. I did the paperwork and got a delivery date for the 18th the follow day.

It is always best to call multiple dealers. I was fortunate enough to find one that helped me out and was honest.