Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model S & 3 owners who still prefer their Model S...or vice versa?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super interesting thread! Great responses!

Everyone I see with a 3, the first thing they say is “I love it, but I’m sure it’s not ss nice as your S!”

Glad to hear the 3 is impressing s owners. Question I have is about the stiff ride comments in reviews and “build quality” whatever that means...

Do you notice a rougher ride than an s? Notice any cheap interior issues?

Everyone I see with a 3, the first thing they say is “I love it, but I’m sure it’s not ss nice as your S!”

Glad to hear the 3 is impressing s owners. Question I have is about the stiff ride comments in reviews and “build quality” whatever that means...

I'd like to know the same thing. I like the ride on my Model S with air suspension and 19's. I don't mind if the 3 is a little firmer, but I'm not into brutal track suspensions on commuter cars.

I just drove an S loaner for 2 days 80 miles whiles my 3 was in for warranty service. I found I could not see the speedo once I had the steering wheel where I wanted it. The 2 screens were too much, I love the 3 and hardly look at the screen any more. I really like the size of the 3. The S is a big car. I never got the S seat where I wanted so I think the 3 seat is more comfortable. The ride in the S is better and a hatch is much more useful. Need the Y but could not wait. Also I love the range of the 3 and how economical it is. The 3 is fast enough for me.

I'd like to know the same thing. I like the ride on my Model S with air suspension and 19's. I don't mind if the 3 is a little firmer, but I'm not into brutal track suspensions on commuter cars.
I’ve HEARD about 3 ride issues. I’ve had a 3 since March and have not noticed ANY ride harshness. Could be function of where I’m driving it... but I drive an air suspension S in same area and have not perceived an issue.

Reactions: MarkS22

I’ve not noticed any difference. I did hear that some of the early 3s had a firmer suspension, which was adjusted.

Another update, my wife’s 3, that we picked up a month ago, had an issue with water in one of the tail lights.
I was going in to get a temp tag (because our DMV is the slowest in the country). The part had just arrived, so the service center asked me if I wanted to take care of both at once.
I didn’t have an appointment, and the service center was busy. I asked if they had time to do it?

Sure enough, one of the mechanics came out to where I drove in and replaced it in 10 minutes.
Replacing a tail light in the Model X is a three hour appointment. For the replacement in the Model 3 they schedule a 15 minute appointment.

I had heard the 3 was made to be easier to build and easier to repair. I just saw first hand how much easier it can be :)

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele

I don't notice a stiff ride or build quality differences from the Model S P85D with 19" wheels. Of course, they drive differently and ride quality differences can mask that. As I've noted earlier, the Model S is certainly more commanding on the road, while the Model 3 is more nimble. The Model S feels heavier and more sturdy, while the Model 3 feels more agile and sporty. But the Model 3 certainly doesn't feel "harsh" to me.

If I had to complain about something on the build, the trunk on the Model 3 is heavier to open and close than feels necessary. Premium should include an automatic liftgate. Some people suggested it gets better with break-in, but it's the same after six months on mine. I don't see any gap issues. One of my headlights is not completely flush and they can apparently adjust that next time it's at the service center. Nobody except my detailer and I have noticed yet.

I also don't love black piano finishes. I wouldn't call them "cheap" but they're annoying to keep clean and certainly not high-end. I ended up wrapping my console in matte black and think it looks better. If only to prevent fingerprints and fine scratches.

Last edited:
Resurrecting my own thread as there are now almost twice as many Model 3 owners out there as there were just a few months ago. Any additional thoughts from those that own both the S and 3? Since I originally posted this I have test driven the 3LR RWD, rented a 3LR RWD for a day and test driven the P3D+. I find myself still on the fence as a Model S owner (even with my older P85+). If I did not own an S I would almost undoubtedly get a 3 as it offers much of what makes the S great for less cash (e.g. better ROI), but owning one, I still see the pluses of the S, and wonder if , after 6 months, if I wouldn't gravitate back to driving it over a 3. Any additional or further thoughts are welcome!

Ok I’ll update my post as well. I have a 2012 S P85, a March RWD 3 LR and a September P3D.

Still love my S, but... the 3 is a far better car IMO. Love the cabin layout. Much more drivable. Better handling. And the P3 has more usable power than the PS. Sorry... but when I’m in Chicago driving the S, I miss the 3.

Before the Model 3 went into production, most were concerned about the lack of a 2nd screen behind the steering wheel. Now that many have their Model 3's, I wonder if everyone feels the same? This is not about seeing just your speed, but I worry about the functionality I will be losing to adjust the fan speed or cabin temp among other adjustments possible using the steering wheel controls etc. Moving my eyes to the center screen while driving will definitely be one of my frustrations coming from the Model S and moving to a Model 3.

The S is great for us as a family vehicle, as it gives us everything we would have needed in a minivan, without forcing us to actually have a minivan.

I do enjoy the handling of the 3 and generally find it more fun to drive than the S. Not that the S isn't fun!

In terms of driving experience, one thing I love about our S is the large sunroof ("panoramic roof"). Given the right conditions (sun not too high in the sky, temperature not too cold/hot, not driving fast, good scenery), having the roof open is a joy. In those conditions, I would rather be driving our S.

Like asking which of your kids you like better. They are just different.

For a single person, driving in an Urban area with tight parking and congested streets, the 3 is a great choice. It is the most efficient of all the Tesla, quicker charging per mile traveled and greater range.

If in addition to driving around, you actually need to do something, then the X is the better choice. More space inside, convenient hatch design, ability to seat up to 7. Lots more room for the dog, able to tow up to 5,000 lbs (for short distances).
You get easier entrance/exit, huge panoramic windshield for open feeling, automatic opening of all 4 doors and hatch. Put you foot on the brake and your door automatically closes. You can open the hatch with a press of a button or fob. You can remotely open your falcon wing doors to let someone in our out, without leaving your drivers seat.
You get far greater visibility from sitting up high, you can raise and lower the air suspension if desired. On the open highway it is a much smoother riding and quieter vehicle than the 3.
If you have a profitable business, Section 179 makes it much less expensive than buying a Model 3.

Biggest thing the Model S has going for it its the stunning beauty and presence from it's design. It seats up to 7, has power hatch and doors. It is much better cruising on the open roads. The free supercharging that came with so many of them is just a delight as you plug in on the road and know that your travel energy is free. The Model S was the first full production Tesla. It paved the way for all the rest to come. Elon thanked all the buyers, as he was going to use the profits from the Model S and X to provide the experience and $$$ to develop the more mass market Model 3.

Really, no bad choices here. All are clean, powerful and enjoyable to drive.

My plan is to drive my X for several more years, then trade it in for a new Model Y. That might end up being the perfect Tesla for me as I retire and slow down a bit. Hope to get enough for the X to trade even for the Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: abasile
Before the Model 3 went into production, most were concerned about the lack of a 2nd screen behind the steering wheel. Now that many have their Model 3's, I wonder if everyone feels the same? This is not about seeing just your speed, but I worry about the functionality I will be losing to adjust the fan speed or cabin temp among other adjustments possible using the steering wheel controls etc. Moving my eyes to the center screen while driving will definitely be one of my frustrations coming from the Model S and moving to a Model 3.
Not a problem at all. 3s screen is higher and horizontal orientation makes it much more “heads up”.

So, ironically, I'm quite the opposite when it comes to screen differences between the Model 3 and the Model S. The Model 3 is the first Tesla vehicle I've purchased. I've driven the Model S previously in my friends' vehicles, but recently had to drop off my Model 3 at an SC to have some warranty work completed. The SC gave me a Model S loaner so I was able to put a lot more drive time into it for a day or so and found that:
  • The Model S dual screens to be, for a lack of a better word, annoying.
  • I kept accidentally hitting/bumping the cruise control stalk, and although AP software wasn't enabled, I read through the online manual on how to use the AP features and it seems to be a lot easier to use it in my 3.
Otherwise, those two were my only real gripes. Model S is still a fantastic vehicle and most of my drives are long-haul and it's more of a touring car. I can't wait until Tesla releases the Model 3 with the air-suspension upgrade that was promised down the road. Maybe next year.

Resurrecting (yes, for the second time) my own thread. Would be interested to hear any additional thoughts given the "3" has been out for quite some time now. Coincidentally, a buddy with an 85D Model S recently test drove a new X, S, and 3 and felt the S (a new Raven) was "still their best car". Conversely, he indicated that he "really wanted to like the X, but after driving it...just didn't".

Anyway, happy to hear more thoughts!

I own both cars and they are different.

Model S is better for long trips as it's very comfortable and unbeatable in cargo space. Two screens is much better. But of course smaller Model 3 is perfect for the city (specially in Europe where parkings are very small) and has better overall tech. Model S still looks much better IMO and has some nice benefits like free Supercharging (I made the calcs and save $2,000+ per year on that alone so $20,000+ in 10years ownership counting they don't increase rates... that they will!) and also has unlimited km drivetrain and battery warranty which is HUGE.

After a year with a 3, I still prefer it 99% of the time. It’s more fun to drive and technologically superior.

I miss the S interior space when transporting 5 adults, rare as it is. Maybe once I’ve wanted the extra trunk or frunk space. S styling is still better.

Overall, I’m glad I chose to switch and would not consider an S before an interior refresh. Even then, probably not. Having too much fun.