Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y Supercharging Cost Calculators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently own a FUSC/Chargegate S85D. Also own a highway 20 mpg ICE.

Looking at a possible Model Y purchase. For a few road trips we will likely take the next few years, I'd like to calculate and compare drive + charge times and costs of the MY vs my S85D vs my ICE. I expect the MY to fall in between my current vehicles for both time and money. This is not the only factor in a purchase decision, but is not a non-factor either.

I know I can update my vehicle type in ABRP, but I have no insight on the charging cost that is presented - has anyone verified the accuracy? Does my example below seem realistic?

Example trip:
S85D (as a 90D limited charge with increased battery degradation) Supercharger route via ABRP:
1170 miles + 19 hrs driving + 5 hrs charging + $0 / FUSC

ICE direct route via Bing Maps:
1095 miles + 16 hrs driving + $110 @ $2/gal

MY LR AWD Supercharger route via ABRP:
1170 miles + 19 hrs driving + 3.25 hrs charging + $49 ....

Thanks for any input/insight.

The estimates, cost/time, should be in the ball park of actual.

I see the average speed for the ICE is ~69 mph, while the average speed for the Y is ~61 mph, based on miles/time provided. Not sure if that is intentional or not.

Some of what I've read is that SC stops are more often than gas stops, so more stops to stretch, making the trip perhaps a little more enjoyable. Some of the SC stops could be combined with a restaurant/meal to offset some of the charging time, and it doesn't appear you're including any time for gas in the ICE (stops can be shorter, but still, stretching is normal on those stops, so probably add some time).

If you are driving over 19 hours you are likely stopping for the night too. That's a lot of charging time you don't have to wait for. I have done a ton of trips where I leave the car charging overnight for free, like at a Volta charger or the hotel.

Personally I would prefer to have FUSC and taking about an hour more vs paying $50 to Supercharge the TMY, that's just how cheap I am

IMO the charging fees are accurate, the main source of error would be ABRP’s ability to estimate your consumption. I would suggest making sure the weather and driving speed are set realistically.

Fair point, looks like the ABRP defaults are the most ideal driving conditions so the charging numbers will only go up.

The estimates, cost/time, should be in the ball park of actual.

I see the average speed for the ICE is ~69 mph, while the average speed for the Y is ~61 mph, based on miles/time provided. Not sure if that is intentional or not.

Some of what I've read is that SC stops are more often than gas stops, so more stops to stretch, making the trip perhaps a little more enjoyable. Some of the SC stops could be combined with a restaurant/meal to offset some of the charging time, and it doesn't appear you're including any time for gas in the ICE (stops can be shorter, but still, stretching is normal on those stops, so probably add some time).

Yeah, once I had time to plug all nine SC stops in the same map, it came up with 17 hrs for the SC-included route. For the SC stops, I've done this example route before - it is not foot-traffic friendly (only 3 of the stops have sidewalks or pedestrian crossings). Fuel time would be 10 minutes-ish for each of the 4 fuel stops for the entire trip, so not negligible but not comparable, either.

If you are driving over 19 hours you are likely stopping for the night too. That's a lot of charging time you don't have to wait for. I have done a ton of trips where I leave the car charging overnight for free, like at a Volta charger or the hotel.

Personally I would prefer to have FUSC and taking about an hour more vs paying $50 to Supercharge the TMY, that's just how cheap I am

I fully appreciate being cheap...I made this drive solo (pre-chargegate) starting at 10 am. Kept going until I got to a supercharger at 1 am that was near 3 hotels. Walked to each front desk while charging, said, "I just need a bed for 3-6 hours, I don't even plan on showering, I'll probably be leaving before you even start continental breakfast, its late so you aren't getting any more customers, what's your best rate?" Lowest rate I got quoted was $90. I declined, slept in my vehicle for 3 hrs or so, and made it home by around noon.

And in that same vein, I have earned loyalty from business travel with one chain. In the two cities that could be reasonable midpoints to spend the night, neither have hotels of my loyalty chain with on-site charging. So I don't know if I do want to stop overnight...

I just did a 258mi test trip (100 to 0 percent) and cost to refill at SC was $22.5 ....seemed quite high (28c/Kwh) and equivalent to 35mpg
ICE at 2.5$/gallon.
Do you know of any similar vehicle (size, engine power) that will do 35 mph :) My BMW X3 m40i would do high 20s on freeway driving.

Anyway, most people will charge at home except for road trips, so kWh cost could be as low as 9c (depending a lot on where you live).

Do you know of any similar vehicle (size, engine power) that will do 35 mph :) My BMW X3 m40i would do high 20s on freeway driving.

Anyway, most people will charge at home except for road trips, so kWh cost could be as low as 9c (depending a lot on where you live).
Ford Escape Hybrid and Rav4 Hybrid are of same cargo size and get 35pmg
Power obviously less but I was on CHILL mode so probably not far away