Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on the major software rewrite?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol why are u “confident” in the wire frame UI? That is basically debug mode. Why would they give the a average user access to that before other fun features?
Im saying... If we will get ANYTHING related to FSD it likely only is the FSD wireframe UI. Elon mentioned it would become available. It was a sarcastic post... Stating only stuff that has no impact in driving.

Sorry for not being a native speaker.

Reactions: DDHEverything
Why post guesses at fact

To clarify, the next major software release that Tesla are working on is FSD .. the stuff in beta now. That is on a totally different track to the "holiday update" that some here have chosen (arbitrarily) to call "V11", even though it has never been called that by Elon that I am aware of.

So any comments I've made regarding the content of "V11" are not about the holiday release, but the FSD release that will occur sometime next year. Hence my comment about "the spotlight feature of V11 is FSD".

I thought the big “rewrite” was V11. This has nothing to do with FSD as it applies to everyone.

Wrong assumption?

There is huge confusion right now about what is coming when, and what stuff is going to be called. To be clear, there has not been any word from Tesla or Elon on a "V11" release by name, apart from some general comments made a year ago about the FSD work being the "next big release". The term "V11" is thus meaningless at present.

-- The "holiday update" is very unlikely to be called "V11", whatever it contains. I'm sure it will have some nice stuff in it, but it will just be goodies in all probability. Perhaps we will get some of the UI rework that is being done to support FSD (new layout), but I very much doubt this will include any changes to visualization (which, anyway, is only a debug feature that will be simplified/reworked when FSD is released).

-- What has been called the "big rewrite" is primarily a major reworking of the AI/NN stack to provide an integrated camera view that creates a birds-eye view (BEV) of the surroundings (sometimes called "3D" or "4D" though both terms are inaccurate). This very complex re-write requires the much greater processing power of HW3, and is intended to form the underlying foundations for most (all?) new autopilot features. This is really what Tesla have been working on hard over the last 18 months.

-- FSD (including the current beta) is built on top of the BEV re-write, and so is the first user-facing feature that requires this BEV re-write, and hence requires HW3. My guess is that the "V11" label will actually be applied to the wider (but still beta) release of FSD sometime in 2021.

-- After the FSD release, I would guess that Tesla will re-work the existing NoA (and maybe Smart Summon) to also use the new BEV stack, which will vastly improve NoA performance. However, since this will require HW3, Tesla will have to decide if an "NoA++" (or whatever it is called) will be made available to all users or only to those who have purchased FSD. However, I doubt we will see this update until 2022.

• Informative
Reactions: DDHEverything
I think you're the one adding confusion by insisting that FSD is the only rewrite. There's a UI rewrite that's been in the works as well, perhaps similar to the Cybertruck UI according to some leaks, along with a ton of other non-FSD related features that have been rumored - navigation waypoints, showing side cameras with turn signals, etc.

I would guess the original intent was to release all that stuff along with FSD, but the fact that FSD is very unlikely to be released this year doesn't mean that they wouldn't just roll out the non-FSD stuff as part of the already-acknowledged "holiday release" that people are calling V11. The two don't have to be intermingled if FSD is running late, and as you say, since FSD is tied to HW3, they always needed a non-FSD version of "v11" or whatever they end up calling it. And I don't see anyone claiming that V11 means FSD except you. V11 was always the term I've seen for the feature release - FSD is just a separate stack rewrite and functionaltiy that comes when it comes.

Reactions: camthehombre
The speculation about "V11" comes from a reddit leak that has since been been deleted.

The leak claimed to have inside info that V11 would roll out about a month after the FSD rewrite (FSD Beta?) rolled out. So I think that is why people think that V11 is going to roll out this month as part of the "holiday release".

I shared it back in August in the "V11 is going to be huge" thread:

Here is a thread on Reddit with some leaks about the rewrite and V11 from someone with inside knowledge:

"There are lots of cool stuff on the way! v11 is actually crazy from the things I’m told. Take a look at the CuberTruck UI for a teaser."

"From my understanding, the rewrite and v11 should be out around the same time. I’m told v11 will be out about a month after the rewrite is complete. Literally don’t take this as any bit fact, but I have a hunch we may see v11 as early as late September. From my understanding v11 is running ahead of schedule. The only reason v11 may be out slightly after the rewrite is if the v11 UI relies on stuff from the rewrite. That’s my theory anyway.

The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. A lot of new features will come really fast tho after about the first month. 90-degree turns will be in early access almost straight away. As well as smart summon is getting some huge improvements pretty fast after release. I’ve been saying, new smart summon will drive like a human. People will say “well humans drive bad”. I mean as far as moving in a parking lot. It drives with the flow most humans drive with. Whereas now summon stops randomly in the road and can’t see parking spots. With the rewrite, most people wouldn’t know the car is driving itself unless they see there’s no driver of course. It’ll park and everything like a human."

"What you’re describing with the NOA/lane changing on city streets. That will be around the same time as the 90-degree turns. We’re going to get a lot of “big” updates within a really short time period. From how it was described to me, within a few months we’re going to get multiple of these “big” features. I’d assume that’s why we won’t be getting any new big features until the rewrite is completed.

As far as the no conformation, I meant the feature is ready to go. I’m not sure if we will get this before or after the rewrite. I’d assume after. Also, to be honest I’m not sure if it will just be traffic lights, or lights and stop signs I wasn’t told and didn’t think to ask."

Version 11? : teslamotors

V11 sounds like it is going to be HUGE!

I think you're the one adding confusion by insisting that FSD is the only rewrite. There's a UI rewrite that's been in the works as well, perhaps similar to the Cybertruck UI according to some leaks, along with a ton of other non-FSD related features that have been rumored - navigation waypoints, showing side cameras with turn signals, etc.

I would guess the original intent was to release all that stuff along with FSD, but the fact that FSD is very unlikely to be released this year doesn't mean that they wouldn't just roll out the non-FSD stuff as part of the already-acknowledged "holiday release" that people are calling V11. The two don't have to be intermingled if FSD is running late, and as you say, since FSD is tied to HW3, they always needed a non-FSD version of "v11" or whatever they end up calling it. And I don't see anyone claiming that V11 means FSD except you. V11 was always the term I've seen for the feature release - FSD is just a separate stack rewrite and functionaltiy that comes when it comes.

I didn't say "V11" means FSD, I said there was no reason to call the holiday release "V11" and that "V11" has never been mentioned by Tesla connected to any release whatsoever. And yes, there has certainly been some UI rework going on also, as well as other "nice to have" things (again, as I mentioned) that may (or may not) be part of any holiday update. If you want to arbitrarily call the holiday update V11, that's up to you, but to then tell someone else that they are wrong in how they use "V11" based only on this arbitrary use seems pretty silly to me. The purpose of my post was not to lay claim to any terminology but to clarify the various speculations.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
I didn't say "V11" means FSD, I said there was no reason to call the holiday release "V11" and that "V11" has never been mentioned by Tesla connected to any release whatsoever. And yes, there has certainly been some UI rework going on also, as well as other "nice to have" things (again, as I mentioned) that may (or may not) be part of any holiday update. If you want to arbitrarily call the holiday update V11, that's up to you, but to then tell someone else that they are wrong in how they use "V11" based only on this arbitrary use seems pretty silly to me. The purpose of my post was not to lay claim to any terminology but to clarify the various speculations.

You're the one adding confusion by constantly interjecting FSD stuff into threads about "v11" and "holiday update" and "major software rewrite". There are two things going on. One was known a fair while ago to not be hitting customers by the end of the year (FSD) and the other is traditional in the last week of the year and specifically mentioned in a recent tweet ("holiday update"). Yet a few times you've contradicted yourself by steering discussion toward the FSD/AP rewrite, then acknowledging that there are two separate, non-intertwined things going on. Most people, when they mention v11 or holiday update, are not talking about FSD (which is good, because as even you say, there's almost no chance the FSD rewrite is going GA tomorrow). In either case, it's going to be moot in 24-48 hours when we find out if there's a holiday release :)

Also, for posterity in this very thread:

upload_2020-12-21_20-31-1.png

You're the one adding confusion by constantly interjecting FSD stuff into threads about "v11" and "holiday update" and "major software rewrite". There are two things going on. One was known a fair while ago to not be hitting customers by the end of the year (FSD) and the other is traditional in the last week of the year and specifically mentioned in a recent tweet ("holiday update"). Yet a few times you've contradicted yourself by steering discussion toward the FSD/AP rewrite

If you had looked, you would have noticed that I only "interjected" when there were already posts from people confused by what was being released and when. Go read the threads. Sure, you may know what you mean by "rewrite" etc, but others dont. As you note, it will all become moot if/when the next update(s) are released.