Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any options to buy my friend's ordered Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend ordered a LR with the 3rd row several months ago back when the fee was $100. His current daily driver was getting closer and closer to needed a very expensive repair so he ordered a Performance model after the fee went up to $250. Well the Performance showed up first and the LR isn't due for a couple more months. There have been about $5.5k in price increases since he first ordered the LR and I'd like to pick up his LR when it arrives versus paying more for a new order.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation?

Okay. We stopped by Tesla today and they made the process sound simple.

You call Tesla and let them know you want to change the name and address of the registration.
They'll send an email to the current account owner and you'll need to send them pictures of the front and back of the drivers license of the new buyer.
Then on delivery day tell Tesla to transfer the vehicle from original account owner to the new account owner.

So tonight we called Tesla and did the first part. I'll update once we have this confirmed.

Okay. We stopped by Tesla today and they made the process sound simple.

You call Tesla and let them know you want to change the name and address of the registration.
They'll send an email to the current account owner and you'll need to send them pictures of the front and back of the drivers license of the new buyer.
Then on delivery day tell Tesla to transfer the vehicle from original account owner to the new account owner.

So tonight we called Tesla and did the first part. I'll update once we have this confirmed.
I’ve heard stories of this happening but the new owner of the order is expected to pay the current price of the car. Make sure that’s not happening to you.

Try to do what has been suggested in advance, but if you are paying cash, there are no loan or insurance issues, and you should be able to walk in and have the car titled anyway you want. The person who ordered need to accompany you and be the one who makes the request.