Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Plaid P is the only one I’m interested in, and it’ll have to move the needle more than the current one does when compared to the LR. There badly needs to be some differentiation in the models. Red calipers, wheels and a subtle spoiler ain’t it.

The Plaid P is the only one I’m interested in, and it’ll have to move the needle more than the current one does when compared to the LR. There badly needs to be some differentiation in the models. Red calipers, wheels and a subtle spoiler ain’t it.
Agreed and maybe it's why they've stopped offering the Acceleration Boost on the LR because once rolling there wasn't all that much in it. Only from 0mph could the Performance get a bit of a lead.

Rumours or well EU registration documents suggest it's only the rear motor that might be a Carbon wrapped Plaid model. The front one could still be the same. So in theory could have more power and less of a drop off at higher speeds but as the front one would still drop it still won't be quite as good as a Plaid at keeping the same power outputs regardless of speed. However probably would be moving the needle quite a bit forwards.

They've had a really good lead on their powertrain but others are catching up and maybe not too much further Tesla can go when limited to similar battery chemistry and tech as everyone else. Germans will probably be playing more in this segment in a few more years with cars with similar power, you know the Chinese probably will get there even sooner.

Hell the Hyundai 5N looks like a pretty cool package, some effort went into it for sure.

Reactions: Durzel
Agreed and maybe it's why they've stopped offering the Acceleration Boost on the LR because once rolling there wasn't all that much in it. Only from 0mph could the Performance get a bit of a lead.

Rumours or well EU registration documents suggest it's only the rear motor that might be a Carbon wrapped Plaid model. The front one could still be the same. So in theory could have more power and less of a drop off at higher speeds but as the front one would still drop it still won't be quite as good as a Plaid at keeping the same power outputs regardless of speed. However probably would be moving the needle quite a bit forwards.
They might copy Porsche and hold back the M3P (Cayman) so as not to compete with the S (911).

I hope they don’t, because the 3 and S aren’t really in the same market sector, and the latter is LHD which is a deal breaker for most people.

Then again, Tesla does love parts consolidation and I can’t see them going bonkers on a M3Plaid when they probably don’t have to, and it’s not their volume seller.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
They might copy Porsche and hold back the M3P (Cayman) so as not to compete with the S (911).

I hope they don’t, because the 3 and S aren’t really in the same market sector, and the latter is LHD which is a deal breaker for most people.

Then again, Tesla does love parts consolidation and I can’t see them going bonkers on a M3Plaid when they probably don’t have to, and it’s not their volume seller.
For ICE cars there was often a reasonable reason for this, down to size and cost. An M2 needs to cost less and is in a smaller body than an M3 so even when using the same engine the M2 is detuned. It has less cooling and improving that, maybe adding the space to put it in and before you know it, it kind of is an M3 in size and price is increasing also.

EV's seem to have shaken this whole model up completely. The limit isn't the motors really anymore but just the battery and those are getting cheaper and will get more energy dense and powerful. Lucid I think has the most energy dense motors that I'm aware of at least in production for reasonable price at 620hp. So even without going for 3 motors you could have 1,240hp if you could have a battery to power them that fits into a Model 3. Their motors are also lighter than the lower hp motors that Tesla uses.

Frankly I think when they can put 1,000 hp into something the size of the Model 3 and it's only the battery probably stopping that at the moment, someone will do it. It won't hurt the Model S Plaid as it'll probably be on 1,500hp+ by then or killed off because they don't sell enough.

Roundabouts will be fun when everyone has 1,000 hp+ under their foot and in the time you look right to see someone not going and straight to hit the pedal they'll be right in-front of you ;) Probably need to enjoy this while we can as likely some laws will come in the way to stop this. Like 1,000hp but can only deploy 50hp on public roads at no more than 20mph controlled by legally enforced software limits.

The limiting factor, I suspect, is going to be insurance. The M3P already accelerates as near as dammit as quickly as many supercars. If anything it’s faster in practical terms due to the lack of an engine, gearbox, etc.

Tesla insurance generally is getting to be ruinous for a variety of reasons, but you can’t escape the raw numbers. People who are getting into these cars for relatively small sums, due to 0% BIK, incentives, etc who could never afford a equivalent performance ICE car, i.e. a supercar, and therefore not be exposed to that performance are suddenly experiencing it.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
The limiting factor, I suspect, is going to be insurance. The M3P already accelerates as near as dammit as quickly as many supercars. If anything it’s faster in practical terms due to the lack of an engine, gearbox, etc.

Tesla insurance generally is getting to be ruinous for a variety of reasons, but you can’t escape the raw numbers. People who are getting into these cars for relatively small sums, due to 0% BIK, incentives, etc who could never afford a equivalent performance ICE car, i.e. a supercar, and therefore not be exposed to that performance are suddenly experiencing it.
Not so sure, once you get into the 50 bracket for insurance you're kind of at the top already. Also the Model 3 Performance makes it pretty easy, try something with that kind of hp that's rear wheel drive ;)

Model S Plaid if you look is cheaper to insure than my Discovery...

They've had a really good lead on their powertrain but others are catching up and maybe not too much further Tesla can go when limited to similar battery chemistry and tech as everyone else. Germans will probably be playing more in this segment in a few more years with cars with similar power, you know the Chinese probably will get there even sooner.

Hell the Hyundai 5N looks like a pretty cool package, some effort went into it for sure.
It happened before once that when they revised the Model 3 they didn't have Acceleration Boost for a while, I guess they are monitoring the battery and motor performance for a while before deciding how to activate it. Also without there being a P at the moment it's perhaps the wrong message to have a faster LR. I bet it'll be back at some point after a new P arrives.

That’s the simple reality of it. After the Nth time of having to look at the upside down wheel or whatever to discern where to press and getting agitated, you’re just going to stop bothering to do it at all.
Missed this when posting yesterday, but thought I'd chime in anyway. Maybe I am lucky with where I live but most cars I have owned previously (whilst living where I am currently) I have rarely needed the wheel to be upside down (roundabouts are the big 'sweeping' multi-lane ones rather than mini roundabouts). 1/4 turn most of the time, and if its more its a junction anyway... so I am hoping (maybe naively) that having the buttons next to my hand (on a 1/4 turn) most of the time will be easier than sliding your hand around to the stalk 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying the inconvenience won't be there for anyone, but I don't see it being too big of an issue for me.
I don’t to be honest🤞
It didn't used to... but that died off when I left my mid 20's. We won't go down that rabbit hole though :D

due to 0% BIK
Just to play devil's advocate, BIK is now 2%, but still substantially less than many other cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger20 and GRiLLA
It happened before once that when they revised the Model 3 they didn't have Acceleration Boost for a while, I guess they are monitoring the battery and motor performance for a while before deciding how to activate it. Also without there being a P at the moment it's perhaps the wrong message to have a faster LR. I bet it'll be back at some point after a new P arrives.
Shouldn't really have that issue as it's the same battery and motors. As you say though could come back, it's extra revenue for nothing for them. I think this time if the rumours on the Model 3 Performance / Ludicrous are true it's going to be vastly quicker regardless.

Nope, I'm the same, also hate having g to check the App five times a day to make sure the VIN and reg hasn't disappeared and delivery date hasn't changed....
Only 5 times? I check it once an hour 🤦

Just let the initial demand fall, the offers will be back. Probably quite quickly, I'm not sure there is that much demand for the M3 in the UK these days.
I think the demand is still there, people just ate opting for pre-owned because of the price drop, that doesn't bother me though as I intend to keep the car for a substantial amount of time (that said, I've said that about my last 5 cars 😂)

And driving schools cancelling M3 replacement orders
They don’t get it, one day we won’t need driving schools with Robotaxi
Part of this I wonder if it is a transferability thing, e.g. you are being taught something quite niche (indicator buttons) which is not in any other car. It's a bit like learning to ride a unicycle and then being given a 21 speed bike.

I think the demand is still there, people just ate opting for pre-owned because of the price drop
M3 sales in the UK:
2021. 34,783
2022. 19,071
2023. <13,672 (slightly less due to MS/MX sales).

Whether it is because of the wider availability of secondhand vehicles or not, Tesla will want the M3 sales to rise again so will have to incentivise potential buyers if the Highland update on its own isn't enough.

• Informative
M3 sales in the UK:
2021. 34,783
2022. 19,071
2023. <13,672 (slightly less due to MS/MX sales).

Whether it is because of the wider availability of secondhand vehicles or not, Tesla will want the M3 sales to rise again so will have to incentivise potential buyers if the Highland update on its own isn't enough.
You left out the other compelling factor that led to reduction in sales of Model 3 in 2022. The context matters - Model Y literally gazumped Model 3 sales both in 2022 and 2023.

You left out the other compelling factor that led to reduction in sales of Model 3 in 2022. The context matters - Model Y literally gazumped Model 3 sales both in 2022 and 2023.
The compelling factor that people like SUVs rather than saloons will remain, therefore the M3 demand continues to decrease and Tesla will need to work hard to stop it declining further.

This discussion isn't about the MY, hence I didn't explicitly mention it. But to satisfy your insecurities the MY sales were:
2022. 35,551
2023. 35,899

your insecurities the MY sales were:
It is not my insecurities, highlighting the context of why M3 sales went down - irrespective of whether there was a change in M3 or not. It is more of other factors that led to reduction in M3 sales. The demand is relative compared to the vehicle models available with any manufacturer. MY wasn’t there earlier, so people went for the relatively cheap M3 compared to other brands. With MY Tesla more or less ate into its own M3 market that is all I wanted to say. This has happened in the past and will happen in the future - But we do not know what is Tesla’s expectation for Model 3 once Model Y was made available in most parts of the world. I think saying demand is not there by comparing a 2021 vs 2022 vs 2023 number is like politicians just giving the correct numbers for spending in NHS but not highlighting the population increase or the newer expensive treatments that are available that costs more money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrklaw