Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I see here is a load of people who haven't tried a Tesla without stalks attempting to dunk on one person that has tried stalks. Then being rude on nationality grounds.

Mod comment: I've done a quick tidy up on the needless posts. If BMW was a country I suspect more posts would have been deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any young perspective Highland buyers, please chime in
Thinking might just be an old stoggy thing
I'm 25 and am impatiently waiting delivery of my Highland. I know it's going to be a pain at the start but I suspect that after a week or two of driving I'll pick it up easily and it'll be second nature.

It is a bit of a worry for me though. Only drove manual before so I'll be going for the clutch and gearstick all the time. The time when I get to a roundabout, it starts raining and the auto wipers don't kick in and I'm scrambling for the indicator stalk plus gearstick while trying to manually turn the windscreen wipers on without opening Netflix accidentally should be a laugh.

I suspect that after a week or two of driving I'll pick it up easily and it'll be second nature.

I've jumped between auto and manual over the years, and my M3H will be my 26th car in 17 years... What you outline is what I have always found historically. You go for the gearstick, or the clutch when its not there a couple of times, or you go don't go for the clutch and stall a couple of times, but as time goes on you familiarise yourself with the car and it all becomes second nature.

I too am a bit apprehensive about no stalks, but I am a stickler for modern minimalist design, so its a compromise. At the end of the day, there have been times where I have needed to shift gear in a car without Power Steering whilst going around a roundabout at low speed, hopefully its easier than that... if it is, then I 'm not too concerned.

Reactions: Durzel
I actually think one of the more cleverer moves is the gear shift on the screen. I know people talk about needing to do ultra quick 3 point turns, but how often is that happening, and will it kill them to take a couple of seconds longer on each manouerve to do it? Assuming it works well (I haven't tested, but videos show it seemingly knowing what you are going to want to do well enough) then it is - in my opinion - ingenuous. I actually like the swipe up and down input to choose forward and reverse accordingly. It makes sense in a car that only has two gears.

There's a few things like that where you describe it to people and they baulk at it, but in practice it's not a big deal. One pedal driving is another thing that springs to mind, it sounds so alien but the majority of people pick it up so quickly and it quickly becomes second nature.

I'll reserve final judgement on the indicators until I've tried it. :)

It’s not about taking a couple of extra seconds IMO - I don’t like the idea of taking my eyes off my surroundings. You need to be particularly observant when parking or doing a three point turn to avoid pedestrians or other obstacles so looking down at the screen would potentially ran doing a full all round check every time - where with a gear lever by your fingers you can do that blind (even with an old manual stick too)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It’s pants because you’ll need to accurately swipe it up or down with your left hand and I suspect that vast majority of us are right handed.

I have enough trouble as it is trying the hit the right icon for the apps with my weaker left hand

I know people talk about needing to do ultra quick 3 point turns

Have you tried it? If not might be worth having a go, before you upgrade, to be able to tell us all whether there is actually any "loss"

For me its not about the time, for me, per se, but the time for others. When I am in a carpark and the parking is difficult / tight (multiple back-and-fill) the time I hold everyone else up is important to me (as a courtesy to them, not for fear of their road rage - although there is that too!)

If you are not familiar with it then the test I would propose is:

Drive forwards slowly (i.e. at pulling-in-to-parking-bay speed)
Select reverse
Dab throttle (once or twice, depending on "familiarity" with the manoeuvre) to slow down
Once stationary, or "almost", then Dab again to reverse a bit
Once actually reversing then Select Drive and Dab-to-slow, and Dab-for forwards
... and repeat

Have you tried it? If not might be worth having a go, before you upgrade, to be able to tell us all whether there is actually any "loss"

For me its not about the time, for me, per se, but the time for others. When I am in a carpark and the parking is difficult / tight (multiple back-and-fill) the time I hold everyone else up is important to me (as a courtesy to them, not for fear of their road rage - although there is that too!)

If you are not familiar with it then the test I would propose is:

Drive forwards slowly (i.e. at pulling-in-to-parking-bay speed)
Select reverse
Dab throttle (once or twice, depending on "familiarity" with the manoeuvre) to slow down
Once stationary, or "almost", then Dab again to reverse a bit
Once actually reversing then Select Drive and Dab-to-slow, and Dab-for forwards
... and repeat
I'll admit I'm only going by videos, but it looks like when the person comes to a stop it's pretty quick to swipe up or down to change gear.

I can see that it's going to be a problem for people who are using to switching into Drive or Reverse while still moving.

looks like when the person comes to a stop it's pretty quick to swipe up or down to change gear.

Yup, I'm with you on that. I just think it will be a lot more awkward (eyes off road, rather than hands-on-wheel + eyes-on-road and flick-stalk-by-touch)

Yes, come-to-stop, look down, flick screen, will work (and be safe etc.). I've not tried it, of course, but I think it will be a lot more cumbersome.

Only drove manual before so I'll be going for the clutch and gearstick all the time

I predict that will be a non-event, but I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

The first 30 years of my manual-shift driving life was punctuated by business trips to USA and hire cars that were automatic.

My recollection of automatics was the "jerk" when they changed gear - that improved over the years, and the more upmarket the car / Brand was.

My Manual-shift driving was press-throttle then, as engine noise / Revs gets to "max", change gear. As noise / Revs fell to "low", or if about to overtake, then change down.

But EV has no gears, so "max" in gear-one will be terminal velocity! So just keep pressing the pedal :)

The other thing is the regen. Lifting off slows the car, it seems to me to be trivially easy to either lift of "just the right amount", or to "adjust the amount of lift-off" based on whether car is slowing too much (e.g. for corner / T-Junction) ... or not enough ...

... but I've been driving EV, exclusively, for 4 years (backup ICE was sold) and predominantly for 3 years before that probably 200K miles all-told.

So a more realistic comparison would be a number of people who I have let drive my car (I'd be happy if all my mates switched from ICE to EV). Those first time EV drivers are definitely not subtle when using regen - and in the passenger seat I get some jerk-slowing then thrust-compensating ... and I am sitting there thinking "Come on, it isn't THAT hard" :) but in reality they only drive my car for a handful of miles, country roads, and they have all taken to it effortlessly - even if not completely smoothly for the first half-dozen miles of their EV driving :)

So I predict ... "non-event", but enjoy :)

I'm 25 and am impatiently waiting delivery of my Highland. I know it's going to be a pain at the start but I suspect that after a week or two of driving I'll pick it up easily and it'll be second nature.

It is a bit of a worry for me though. Only drove manual before so I'll be going for the clutch and gearstick all the time. The time when I get to a roundabout, it starts raining and the auto wipers don't kick in and I'm scrambling for the indicator stalk plus gearstick while trying to manually turn the windscreen wipers on without opening Netflix accidentally should be a laugh.
Frankly all of that sounds more dangerous than texting while you're driving.. but perfectly legal.

I'm not worried about the gear selecting and don't see a problem with it. Yes it's different but don't feel like it's a major deal.

I do plan to have a test drive when that's possible to see and also interested in the extra comfort this model has over the previous ones. It's a shame as they seemed to have got close to a slam dunk with the Highland. Even the Performance model might be stellar if it's got a plaid carbon wrapped rotor on it. Nothing close to its price point will probably touch it if that's true.

Good that it stopped with cars :)
How do you know it did? ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Oxid8ter