Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Performance owners regret not getting the perf upgrade package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if you wish you had gotten it before taking delivery, esp now that track mode is only for P3D+

Presently, I'm less concerned than I was before but the final verdict is a wait and see. The main reason I want track mode is for the higher regen capability I'd use during a daily drive rather than actual track driving. Based on footage from the Road Show review of the P3D+, track mode is a simple on/off button. Whether there are sub-menus that allows deeper configuration remains to be seen.

If its the former rather than the latter, it means the track mode is ONLY useful for on the track. While tracking looks fun, I'm not sure I'm ready to put all the money plus wear and tear on a track hobby.

So what does the PUP offer?

Pros ($ are my estimated values):
  • Track Mode
  • 10mm Lowered Suspension | $$$ Unknown
  • [bling+] 20" Sport Wheels + Pilot 4S Tires | $2000 | Improved performance i.e 0-60 in 3.4 vs. 3.5 and cornering
  • [bling+] Brembo Brakes + Lighter Rotors | $1500 | Red Color looks cool / actual value is only realized on the track
  • [bling] Carbon Fiber Spoiler | $1000
  • [bling]Aluminum Pedals | $150
So you're looking at $4650 worth of value +/- whatever you think some the components are valued at. Some of these items are cons however mostly around the tires.

Cons:
  • $5000 Extra
  • Pilot 4S Tires are much grippier and don't have Aero covers resulting in ~15% less range than 18" Aero wheels
  • 20" Rims are much more susceptible to potholes and damage
  • 20" Tires have a harsher ride than the 18" Aeros
  • Brake Rotor unique aspects that prevents easy installation of aftermarket tires
  • Brakes calipers can't fit most 18" tires

Last edited:
Presently, I'm less concerned than I was before but the final verdict is a wait and see. The main reason I want track mode is for the higher regen capability I'd use during a daily drive rather than actual track driving. Based on footage from the Road Show review of the P3D+, track mode is a simple on/off button. Whether there are sub-menus that allows deeper configuration remains to be seen.

If its the former rather than the latter, it means the track mode is ONLY useful for on the track. While tracking looks fun, I'm not sure I'm ready to put all the money plus wear and tear on a track hobby.

• Track Mode
  • [bling+] 20" Sport Wheels + Pilot 4S Tires | $2000 | Improved performance i.e 0-60 in 3.4 vs. 3.5 and cornering
  • [bling+] Brembo Brakes + Lighter Rotors | $1500 | Red Color looks cool / actual value is only realized on the track
So you're looking at $4650 worth of value +/- whatever you think some the components are valued at. Some of these items are cons however mostly around the tires.

Cons:
  • $5000 Extra
  • Pilot 4S Tires are much grippier and don't have Aero covers resulting in ~15% less range than 18" Aero wheels
  • Brake Rotor unique aspects that prevents easy installation of aftermarket tires
Great writeup. I think it boils down to mostly aesthetic choices for anyone who doesn't actually track their car regularly. I'm at peace with my decision now. Thanks!

I am really confused by who wants to buy the car without this package honestly..

If money is an issue then why not just buy the AWD or RWD and save a ton.. if you don’t care about performance then why buy the performance car to begin with.

It sounds to me those base 18 inch tires are really weak... I would be curious to see if you can buy a C class AMG or BMW M3 with tires like that (indeed I wouldn’t be surprised if a 320i came with better tires)?

And If you are planning to go aftermarket.. is it really worth it? Tesla is selling you this package pretty much at cost..

I am really confused by who wants to buy the car without this package honestly..

If money is an issue then why not just buy the AWD or RWD and save a ton.. if you don’t care about performance then why buy the performance car to begin with.

It sounds to me those base 18 inch tires are really weak... I would be curious to see if you can buy a C class AMG or BMW M3 with tires like that (indeed I wouldn’t be surprised if a 320i came with better tires)?

And If you are planning to go aftermarket.. is it really worth it? Tesla is selling you this package pretty much at cost..
I'm buying it because I want the extra performance, but it's also my daily driver and I don'y plan to race it on the track. Price is an issue for something I don't need. Went for EAP instead.

Range. 0-60 is still usable on the Aero wheels. Its cornering and handling that suffers the most without the performance tires which is not something you can't enjoy daily as much as the additional acceleration.

Last edited:
Unless you live in CA, FL, or another sunshine state, the P3D+ package won’t suffice. Summer is nearly over and the P3D+ tires are only usable above 40 degrees. Below 40 degrees, those tires are a safety hazard, and you must buy another set of wheels/tires to safely operate the vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax

Don't be so confused. Some people who did not spring for the + in the P+ are people that actually care more about performance than Tesla seems to. The P+ upgrades are more of a vanity upgrade with little regard towards actual performance. Heavy 20" wheels with heavy mediocre brake rotors, vanity pedals, and vanity carbon fiber tail is not what I would consider performance.

Some of us chose the P- because we can get way better stuff after market. How about some sub 20lbs forged wheels with fat 265 width tires, super light and large brake rotors, and coil-over suspension. That's what the P+ should have come with in order to exploit those performance motors. Short of that no thanks, I'll get the P- and get my own stuff.

I do. Why? Because I will actually drive it every day. I would guess the 20 inch wheels would mean a bent wheel every couple of months.

You are in CA so I understand why you would write this. Move to a cold weather state in a constant state of construction and your confusion will diminish.

Don't be so confused. Some people who did not spring for the + in the P+ are people that actually care more about performance than Tesla seems to. The P+ upgrades are more of a vanity upgrade with little regard towards actual performance. Heavy 20" wheels with heavy mediocre brake rotors, vanity pedals, and vanity carbon fiber tail is not what I would consider performance.

Some of us chose the P- because we can get way better stuff after market. How about some sub 20lbs forged wheels with fat 265 width tires, super light and large brake rotors, and coil-over suspension. That's what the P+ should have come with in order to exploit those performance motors. Short of that no thanks, I'll get the P- and get my own stuff.

I agree with this statement with my 10 year younger self.

After some age, I prefer OEM upgrades (and yes, I get it's not as good as aftermarket) that looks better than Aero wheels. For me, it was anything but Aero wheels, had to be OEM, and only other option was PUP.

• Track Mode

Cons:
  • $5000 Extra
$1,500 for rotors and 2 piece calipers... I would love to know where this number came from. Seems dirt cheap IMO.

Reactions: roguenode
$1,500 for rotors and 2 piece calipers... I would love to know where this number came from. Seems dirt cheap IMO.

I was trying to justify value upgrade over stock. Its easy to put a $2000 valuation on this component.

My numbers are not true market costs but what I thought the value was over stock. Keep in mind the Tesla rotors are not comparable to aftermarket rotors (quality and costs) so its hard to do a direct comparison here, but the calipers are Brembo which command at least a $1600 aftermarket cost.

Also in regards to the other components here are the Tesla aftermarket prices:

20" Tires - $4000
Aluminum Pedals (Model S) - $150
Carbon Fiber spoiler (Model S) - $1500

Been researching the price of a 2-piece caliper (i'm a newb with brakes and only started researching with the P3D+), but I'm seeing prices at around $2500-3500 typically for the base models. The P3D+ has a 335mm wide rear and 355mm front diameter rotor.

Last edited:
Unless you live in CA, FL, or another sunshine state, the P3D+ package won’t suffice. Summer is nearly over and the P3D+ tires are only usable above 40 degrees. Below 40 degrees, those tires are a safety hazard, and you must buy another set of wheels/tires to safely operate the vehicle.

It's a performance model. Honestly, all-seasons aren't good in any weather. They will severely cripple the handling in dry,wet and snow. I live in the NE and have an AWD car, but I still have two sets of wheels, because I want performance in all-seasons. This is not a valid argument to me.

Last edited:

Why do you keep saying it's a vanity upgrade? It's just not the spec you wanted. A spoiler adds downforce, stickier tires add grip, and bigger rotors and calipers add braking capabilities. The only thing that's "vanity" might be the pedals. Everything else adds to performance whether it's mediocre or not. Honestly, I'm really surprised people are turning up their nose to an OEM BBK. I get the wheels, but people are dying on that cross for no reason.

They should have just kept the one performance model.

Folks who care about performance, but aren't taking the car to a (non-drag) track regularly, will just spend <$1000 on PS 4S tires on the 18" aeros and likely beat the P3D+ in a straight line while getting better mileage and saving over $4000 bucks.

Folks who like to turn too will buy aftermarket 18/19" lightweight wheels and put wider PS4s on and beat the P3D+ across the board.... this may or may not save them $ over the 5k package depending what they do brake-wise (in some track applications simply better pads/fluid will be enough, in harsher track use they may need to go with something like MPPs planned upgrades).

The above may or may not hold true once we have more info on what track mode can really do for a P3D+ vs a P3D-, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold true apart from that- thus why folks who "care about performance" might well have skipped the mostly-bling-with-giant-heavy-wheels $5000 upgrade up to now.

For those of us who live in the "sunshine" state of California but enjoy mountain driving (and skiing), all-seasons are the only viable option. Changing wheels/tires every time one passes through elevation 7,000 is not practical ... ;)

I thus do not regret P3D- purchase.

Our 3 LR is amazing, especially for its range ("310" = 335).

We need one mountain/snow car --> AWD. And, at least for me, the premium for a 22% reduction in 0-60 time yields acceleration that is a daily pleasure ... and collision-avoidance boon, to boot.