Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Performance owners regret not getting the perf upgrade package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mountain Pass Performance is doing some cool aftermarket mods for the Model 3. Their rotor / caliper kit addresses some of the issues as far as brake cooling on the performance models and the price isn't bad.

Rotors & Caliper Brackets - $1380
MPP Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit

They will also be making lighter rear rotors soon as well.

Rich Rebuilds had it on on their latest video too:

That does not include calipers just brackets to make the work with the bigger rotors.
Yes, but having talked to them, their track tests show that the problem with Model 3 brakes is not the strength of the calipers but the dissipation of heat. Therefore replacing the rotors with larger ones (larger than the P+) is all that's needed for endless laps on the track without brake fade. They are also lighter than the P+.

Reactions: Msjulie
Yeah it does look like a nice kit, but I want to wait and see what Tesla publishes as their "Aftermarket" path to track mode before making any performance mods

That is holding me up as well because...

not the strength of the calipers but the dissipation of heat

The larger rotor dissipates heat better, is lighter and has a larger sweep area - back in the day, swapping the larger Audi A8 rotor plus carrier to an A4 was the cheap trick on getting better OEM brakes. Worked well on the track but they were heavier but 2 out of 3 wasn't bad..

Reactions: wbhokie
That is holding me up as well because...

The larger rotor dissipates heat better, is lighter and has a larger sweep area - back in the day, swapping the larger Audi A8 rotor plus carrier to an A4 was the cheap trick on getting better OEM brakes. Worked well on the track but they were heavier but 2 out of 3 wasn't bad..
In our case they are also lighter so 3 out of 3.

Reactions: Msjulie
So I got an interesting conundrum. Would you get get the P3D+ package if it means getting your car a few weeks earlier? Especially if you were on the fence about it, and just really want the car?

I'm having that debate right now because Tesla offered me that option due to my special circumstance as they canceled my delivery despite already paying for it.

So I got an interesting conundrum. Would you get get the P3D+ package if it means getting your car a few weeks earlier? Especially if you were on the fence about it, and just really want the car?

I'm having that debate right now because Tesla offered me that option due to my special circumstance as they canceled my delivery despite already paying for it.

Only if it made the difference between getting the full tax rebate or not. If you get the upgrade, get it for the right reasons! (Meaning, you actually want it, can afford it, etc)

Only if it made the difference between getting the full tax rebate or not. If you get the upgrade, get it for the right reasons! (Meaning, you actually want it, can afford it, etc)

The only thing I didn't want were the sticky tires, as I didn't want the impacted range, however I feel an aftermarket solution may eventually solve it, but definitively a spare set of MXM4s can fix most of it.

I cancelled my delivery appointment and added the PUP. If I'm gonna spend this much money on a car it had better have everything, both now and in the future

Yep. Do it nice or do it twice.

If you are in 64,000 you are in for 69,000.

Either that or drop down to used Model S P85. :)

It won't be as bad as for the Model S and X's but expect continuous improvements to the car even if you checked all the boxes.

It depends on what you want in your vehicle as well. Troy brought an important cost/benefit analysis that if you primary care about the latest features, you should get the base model rather than the upgraded version and swap every few years like a lease. I argued that if you care primarily for 0-60 performance, the upgraded performance will not be as significant in advancement.

Here's Troys and my comment on the subject:
Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

We don't know what track mode will be exactly, nor do we know what else may come later (customizable track mode? ludicrous?). The best way to be sure you have any future offerings is to get the PUP. I also think the car's resale value will be higher than P's without it.

↑This. You want whatever goodness might be coming down the road (Ludicrous anyone?)... You spring for the top tier offering. We've seen it with Track mode already. (Yes, I know it will be offered to P3D- customers; but as Tesla has stated that it will require a Performance retrofit of some sort, effectively making it a P3D+.... only more expensive than configuring outright.)

Reactions: MXWing
It depends on what you want in your vehicle as well. Troy brought an important cost/benefit analysis that if you primary care about the latest features, you should get the base model rather than the upgraded version and swap every few years like a lease. I argued that if you care primarily for 0-60 performance, the upgraded performance will not be as significant in advancement.

Here's Troys and my comment on the subject:
Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

Except with the sheer number of Model 3’s out there, Tesla can’t easily make changes on the fly without pissing off half a million people.

While it wasn’t entirely Tesla’s fault, dead ending AP1 affected the low tens thousands of people?

Dead ending AP2 not an option. I purposely delayed delivery until after the Q2 con call so I can listen in on announcements that could affect my car.

I was comfortable in keeping my order knowing AP3 would be included with FSD purchase.

Since AP is the main demarcation point for Tesla generations, I don’t expect Model 3 to get old fast in a significant fashion.

Air suspension as an example is not a big deal to me - it’s autopilot hardware that matters the most.

Tesla eventually might really end the free unlimited super charging program so there’s a highly irrational but emotional value to retain that.

Range. 0-60 is still usable on the Aero wheels. Its cornering and handling that suffers the most without the performance tires which is not something you can't enjoy daily as much as the additional acceleration.

It's this for me.
Chance of everyday driving - 100%
Chance of tracking - maybe 2%

This will be replacing our S that does multiple roadtrips a year so range is priority over brake fade.

I'm still waiting for my car, but switched the order between PUP and non-PUP multiple times.

Here's why I'm (probably) finalized on non-PUP.
  • I don't want 20" wheels. They're heavy, dumb, reduce performance, and more likely to be damaged by a pothole. A perfect example of bling-over-function.
  • I want the option to run 18" wheels.
  • I want the option to run the aero caps. I am paying $9,000 for a bigger battery. I'd like the option to take advantage of it rather than have my range always reduced by 15%
  • I don't want a stupid 3mm lip on my hub that prevents most aftermarket wheels from fitting without a spacer
  • I don't need ludicrous mode. I wouldn't mind having this, but I'm not willing to pay money for it. I will burn up tires fast enough with 3.5 0-60 acceleration. I don't need more.
  • I don't need track mode. I don't see going to the track again, and I'm over pushing my car to the limits of traction on public roads.
  • As much as I would have liked the lowered suspension, it's just not a significant enough of a difference to justify the other negatives. If I have to I will invest in some aftermarket suspension upgrades with the 5K I saved. I'm hoping Koni eventually comes out with a nice sport single-adjustable shock within a few years and I'll install them.

When I placed the order, the performance package was only 20” wheels/tires, spoiler + cosmetics. So I declined. Later it changed to better brakes, track mode, etc. they told me it would push my delivery to next year to change it and lose the tax credit. So instead I bought 7.6Kg forged wheels, carbon spoiler, performance springs for half the price so far. Will look at brake options later. I expect to have a faster car for same or less $.

Reactions: Perry