Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any recommendations for solar in the NoVa area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a house in Silver Spring directly across from Brookside Gardens that appears to have solar tiles for part of its roof. It's new construction and the tiles are flush with the other roofing and look like glass roofing shingles. Not as nice as the Tesla shingles, but much more aesthetically pleasing than big glass panels. Am not really in the market to do this in our current house or I'd go knock on their door to get the info on who they used..

There is a house on Sleepy Hollow in Fairfax County that has similar. My son actually pointed it out to me. They look good.

Looks like there is a new Solarize NOVA campaign that started March 19th.
Solarize Alexandria
They advertise discounted rates due to volume purchase and we used this program for both of our installs (2 different installers) and were satisfied.

I just started this process. I've also been emailing with the solar rep from Tesla @ Tysons. May move forward with quotes from both. I really had no intention of doing Solar any time soon but we'll see where the quotes put us.

There is a house in Silver Spring directly across from Brookside Gardens that appears to have solar tiles for part of its roof. It's new construction and the tiles are flush with the other roofing and look like glass roofing shingles. Not as nice as the Tesla shingles, but much more aesthetically pleasing than big glass panels. Am not really in the market to do this in our current house or I'd go knock on their door to get the info on who they used..
I would love to know what they are using, this last storm we had destroyed my roof and it looks like I will be getting about $45K to do a new roof.....

I just started this process. I've also been emailing with the solar rep from Tesla @ Tysons. May move forward with quotes from both. I really had no intention of doing Solar any time soon but we'll see where the quotes put us.
I’ve been getting a lot of calls from Tesla Solar (Tyson’s?). They have some spiel about some credit we get as owners. What would that be in Virginia? Can we use our own referral for ourselves and it works?

And do they have Tesla Panels available finally? I was checking this out when the roof tiles first came out and there were no Tesla panels then and the roof was nowhere and with the cost of power here, it barely makes sense.

I got the same call - told them that no one in VA will buy the power wall since we don't have time of use charging. They don't have the solar roof for VA yet and frankly it is cost prohibitive. When you can get regular panels, racks, labor and wiring for $2.50 per watt why would you ever consider the Tesla roof?

I also attended the Solarize NOVA event at the Fairfax County Gov Center this week - if you have done a lot of research like i have done, it was a very 101 overview of Solar and the benefits. Bottom line upfront, it looks like the vendors who support this are pretty good companies. I hope they follow-up.

rates varied from $2.45 per watt to about $3.20 per watt installed - which is pretty good (not sure if that included the federal incentives or not - assume it does).

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 9.49.02 PM.png

Last edited:

My likelihood of following through with Solar dropped a bit when I calculated what I owe on Federal taxes this year.

I just finished with the installation process and finally flipped on the solar power yesterday afternoon! It was a vendor that I found through the Solarize NOVA program. Even though there were no campaigns going at the time of purchase, the sales guy spoke to his CEO and got us a good deal. We're excited to drink up the sun fuel, especially with the skies clearing up now.

Happy to provide more info if interested, as the company I went with has a referral program as well.

Great discussion here. I am in MoCo and have been looking to do this for a while. Two options I was looking at:

- On the roof - I don't have a south facing roof, so I need a lot more panels. I am looking $2.50 - $2.80 per watt to make it worthwhile. I have been getting quotes anywhere from $3.50 - $5.00.

- Solar carport - this would be ideal. I have a space for about 4 cars where the carport can be located. I couldn't find anyone that could give me a meaningful quote. I can get the carport built and put panels on it, but if it can be done as an integrated job, I would probably make it work with the tax credits and such.

Doing the work myself is really not all that difficult, but - one - I don't like hanging out on the roof, two - I don't have the equipment to put up a solar carport. Panel positioning and wiring - I can do.

If anyone knows someone with Solar Carport experience, send them to me.

I don't plan on living in the house for more than 10 years, so 10 years would really be a nice breakeven point. I might get some of it back when the house is sold, but no guarantees there.

FWIW, I ended up going with a company that sells SunPower panels, which seem to be good quality, have microinverters, and better warranties. Cost per watt was $3.80, which I am not happy about, especially as I need 31 panels because east/west roofline.
Every quote I had from other solar providers felt dodgy in that they were surprised when I asked what brand of panels they were using. I just wanted a product I could trust.
I didn’t go with TE panels because the best interconnect target date they could give me was September (which I found out 3 weeks ago, in spite of working with them since February).
Apparently Dominion Energy is primarily to blame for how long they take to approve designs and do interconnect inspection.
If anyone knows of a solar advocacy group that is going to Richmond and looking for disgruntled citizens, please have them call me.

Reactions: bhzmark
Apparently Dominion Energy is primarily to blame for how long they take to approve designs and do interconnect inspection.
If anyone knows of a solar advocacy group that is going to Richmond and looking for disgruntled citizens, please have them call me.

Interesting, when we installed our panels a few years ago, Dominion installed our new meters that allow time of use or net metering with solar fairly quickly. They were not involved in the initial design of the system at all. They simply wanted to see that there is a proper inverter that prevents backed to the grid in the event of an outage for safety. Dealing with them on charges for time of use/EV plans was a challenge, they regularly screwed up our bill. We eventually went with simple net metering and now pay just a $7 per month connection fee since we generate more power than we consume.

Turns out Dominion Energy wasn’t as much of a delay as I had feared, nor was the inspection. My meter apparently supported net metering already, so it only took a few days for me to get a text from Edge saying I could flip the switch.
Overall, I’m pretty happy with the system, although the first few weeks were some of the rainiest and cloudiest, so very little benefit in July. And there was a configuration issue with the software that wasn’t reporting all solar generated as “power used” instead of “power used by my house” + “power sent to grid”.

I am waiting on 2 powerwalls now - really hoping GF comes through and I can get them installed in this calendar year so I can get it rolled into the tax credit program. And it will be *so* nice to buffer my house from power failures.

Finally got approval from NOVEC for my Tesla design and installation is set for next month. Lots of back and forth about how much usage was actually used which never made sense to me as (1) they had the actual usage of course and (2) we gave them copies of the usage. Insane.

Had to remove a couple of panels finally to be under their limit. Final cost is about $3.25/W (and this is also an east/west system with 13.9 kW and 44 panels).

And, also have 2 PW reserved but who knows when the next step on those will be. This year or next will be full ITC credit, so should be fine.

I live in the eastern panhandle of WV, so not far from NOVA. I would suggest MountainView Solar in Berkeley Springs, WV and Milestone Solar in Falling Waters, WV as two quality installers for the area. I received quotes from both of them before installing my 11.3kW roof mount array. I am very happy with the Panasonic panels (I requested these specifically) and the SolarEdge equipment. Now if I could just get my Powerwall....

If you would prefer going solar with a group and having guidance through the process, I would also suggest checking into the non-profit Solar United Neighbors (SUN) for a local co-op opportunity. They issue an RFP for a group of local homeowners so that multiple installers can bid on the combined project and they provide guidance through the process, vetting installers, etc. Truth in lending: I do volunteer work for them in West Virginia.

Solar United Neighbors of Virginia (VA SUN)