Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Solutions for 30/24 amp charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
30A outlets aren't as useful as you may think when traveling. Most dryer outlets aren't within reach of where you can park the car. If you have a 30A source that you would use every day at your house I would recommend the convenience of the HPWC. It's really a small expense relative to the price of the car.
Out here in California it is incredibly common for the washer and dryer to be in the garage so that 10-30 or 14-30 outlet are actually perfectly placed to charge a car. I guess I'm lucky to have 30A adapters for my Roadster and Model S (though it looks like you can still buy the entire suite of adapters for the Roadster including 6-30's).

Tesla — Universal Adapters - Available in North America Only

I wonder if the Roadster uses the same resistor settings as Model S? Since the Roadster adapters are on a pigtail to what I believe is an industry-standard connector (Leviton?), I wonder if you could hack off the end of the Model S UMC cable that goes into the wall, replace it with the Female connector that the Roadster uses and then use Roadster plug adapters? A crazy amount of work and I agree that Tesla should just make 14-30 adapters for the Model S but some enterprising person may want to give it a go.

Even simpler would be for Tesla to start making 14-30 UMC adapters again. Someone at Tesla reads the forums so they must see there is demand for it, and it would be safer than any of the kludges being discussed here which would benefit Tesla as well as the owners. So why aren't they?

I so agree that Tesla itself holds the answer to the simplest and safest alternative: start making the adapters again! It's more than a bit ironic that there's so much concern on Tesla's part regarding regular folks installing a fairly simple wall charging unit, however the absence of the 30 amp adapters has us all talking about inline fuses, parallel resistors, and hopes and prayers that the MS's current limiting feature doesn't reset to 40 amps on a 24 max. draw.

Tesla, the goal is to move us all ahead; please make the appropriate adapters available once again.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
I suppose that some one could cut off the the whole plug and put some sort of locking plug on there that has four conductors. Then one could make adapters with the proper resisters in them. The trick would be finding a plug that can handle the current, but wouldn't fit directly into any existing wall sockets.

30A outlets aren't as useful as you may think when traveling. Most dryer outlets aren't within reach of where you can park the car. If you have a 30A source that you would use every day at your house I would recommend the convenience of the HPWC. It's really a small expense relative to the price of the car.

If there is a relative's house out of town that you visit frequently, I would suggest installing a 14-50 outlet in their garage. That's what I did.

You can make an inexpensive extension if the dryer socket doesn't reach.

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-1_12-16-28.png
    upload_2016-5-1_12-16-28.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 72
How about buying a j1772 replacement cord for a charger and wiring it to the plug you want, then use your Tesla j1772 adapter? Car should recognize the adaptor and set to 24 amps

No, you need an EVSE between the power source and the car to handle the negotiations, etc.

And what adapter would the car recognize? J1772 can charge up to 80A and the EVSE connected to the J1772 cord is what tells the car what amperage is available to charge at.

Just as an update to this thread, I was able to purchase a 10-30 adapter from a service center in AZ and have it shipped. I am now able to build a series of extension cords based on either 14-50 or 10-30 adapters on the UMC end with a variety of 50 and 30 amp plug options that will be limited to amp-appropriate draws. Another service center told me that lack of interest caused the discontinuation of the 10-30's, however he did agree with the potential problems associated with relying on the MS to limit the current described in this thread and previously stated very well by FlasherZ. Let's hope that the volume of requests will help change their mind.