Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any success story of an authorized RWD 75 uncorking yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More clarification from Corporate. I don't get the impression that any of the service centers outside of North America have been briefed yet.

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017 (clarified Tuesday, October 24, 2017)​
  • This software update is only applicable to 75D (dual motor). The powertrain in RWD 75 Model S before June 19, 2017 was not designed to support the torque and current draw required to deliver the enhanced performance.
  • This update is focused exclusively on 75D. 60D and 70D customers need to pay for the range upgrade to 75D to even be eligible for uncorking as the enhanced performance update.
  • This was a global change, so Service teams in UK and Canada will have access to the same eligible VIN list. We are still rolling out the communication but I expect all teams to be caught up soon.
  • This update is best managed through a hardwired connection in Service…encourage those that want it to follow our recommended process.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mesomaxl
Not exactly sure when mine is manufactured but being in Canada it would be may 2017.

Vin183xxx , 70D unlocked to 75D was eligible. Just unlocked it today in toronto.

Definitely makes all 4 wheels spin from 0-100

Finally played around with the API yesterday.

The vehicle state data request indeed shows "perf_config":"P1" for our S 75, so the performance level works differently on RWD vehicles.

As it looks there is no way to get the PerformanceAddOn setting reported through the API, right?

Nothing else to do but wait now I guess, as it seems pointless to inquire further with Tesla as their support team does not seem to know any more than we do here. Even those from Executive Care only reply the same what they have been told to over and over again.

I have a 60 S RWD delivered new in April 2017 and just called the service center (Alanta / Marietta) and they said my vehicle is not eligible, and that the only vehicles they have seen eligible are dual-motor 75’s.

:-(
considering how many screw ball answers the shops dole out to inquiries on the variety of topics, it's best to take pretty much any/everything they tell folks w/ a grain of salt.

One thing I think is missing here and no one is discussing is a POSSIBLE marketing decision by Tesla to slow down what they thought first to be a selling point. If you remember we had an announcement by Tesla last June or July claiming all Teslas will have an improvement of one second in their acceleration. All inventory models after that were showing a stunning speed of 4.3 or 4.2 s for 0-60 on all S75 and S75D models. I have screenshots of those cars.

This made me to buy my S75 RWD model and decided to go for RWD for two simple reasons: 1- The 0-60 for S75 RWD according to Tesla website was 4.2 S and for model S75D was 4.3 S! When I asked I was told RWD models had bigger motor and less grip on the road than AWD model so slightly faster. S100D was slightly quicker and of course P 100 D was at 2.5 S. 2- The rage difference for S75 and S75D was only about 15 miles and I thought overall S75 RWD is a much better deal.

Now from marketing point of view, I can only see three possibilities here:

1- Either they deliberately improved the performance of the RWD models or at least announced the performance upgrade to get rid of all inventories of RWD or

2- They realised it was a mistake to make an entry level model S so good that made the difference with Performance so little! People might have shifted to buy entry levels more and we all know the margin for higher models is far more than the entry model or

3- They made a genuine mistake in their announcement as they rushed to announce their achievements.

If you go to Tesla websites around the world and check inventories, you will see they have changed the performance of remaining RWD to 5.8 S and 75 AWD to 5.2 or 5.3 S.

Screenshot 2017-12-08 16.58.51.png

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
@croman where did they explained it?

What improvement then was 1 s announcement last July? Even S75D inventory models are now showing 5.2 S.

Are you saying original cars had performance at 6.2 and now improved to 5.2?
S75 RWD build before July 2017 do 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds (for S75D it was 5.2 seconds). S75 RWD built July 2017 and later do 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds (for S75D it's 4.2 seconds). Initially in July 2017, Tesla indicated it was hardware changes that allowed the performance increase. It was later discovered that the 75D performance increase was actually just software changes, and Tesla began "uncorking" 75D models built before July 2017 (there are a few that apparently cannot be uncorked due to hardware). However, for the S75 RWD, Tesla did not offer any uncorking or performance upgrades for those built before July 2017, and seem to indicate it's hardware changes in the drive unit, but have not been explicit about what changes were actually made.

@MIT_S60 I am not sure if this is entirely correct. My S75 RWD has DU00 or new drive unit but apparently the issue is not only drive unit and there are other components that need to be upgraded in order to uncork the car. Moreover, I see all inventory RWD models are showing 5.8 s now on Tesla website even those made after July. The same for S75D models that is showing at 5.3 S even though based on your claims those S75D should already have the capability to be software upgraded.

I am having lots of discussions with Tesla currently for this issue. Before I bought the car the salesperson explicitly confirmed the car would have and will be eligible for upgrade and my car would have the 4.3 s performance.

Before delivery of the car, I contacted service centre and they also told me the car will have latest update before delivery (not sure if they did understand my question and gave an unthought answer).

After delivery, I noticed the car was not as quick so I contacted the centre again with my VIN number and they confirmed my car had new drive unit and its acceleration was 4.3 S.

Then I got the Power Tool app and tested the car and best I could get was 5.6 s. @Krash kindly helped me to analyse the data and ideed the car was slower.

Then I raised the issue again with Tesla and this time they said it was a mistake and my car could not have the performance upgrade or be uncorked. I am currently having a serious discussion about this with them as I feel Tesla misrepresented their product to me in several occasions. I am not suggesting this was deliberate to get rid of RWD inventories or to boost end of quarter sale but whatever happened the result is that I was sold something that was not as offered to me.

I think I gave this example somewhere else in this forum. Imagine you buy a TV with 3D capability only to realise it can not play 3D movies when you bring it home then you go to the shop and they say oh..yes, it was a mistake but don't worry at least you have a good TV!

Cheers

Reactions: Mark77a