Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any truly quiet drive units?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Just traded in my 2013 S85 for a 2017 S75. I’m hearing a highway drone between 81-85 mph in my new Model S. My 2013 had DU replaced a few times for drone noise between 76-80 mph, and it was never completely quiet after each DU change, and it was always in that same speed range. I love the new car, as I loved the previous, but I wonder if it’s just normal for all DUs to have this bit of noise, in a specific speed range, which is not the same in all Model S. I’m glad at least in this car it’s in a speed range I don’t drive in too much. Anyone else who has driven several Model S have thoughts?

I hear a slight whine from the front motor of my Model X75D from around 50 - 55 mph. When going below that or going above, I don't hear it at all. I am guessing the motor whine is different from the DU sound that you refer to? Also when the radio is on you don't really pick it up at all in my case.

Yes it’s the newest (faster) DU, car build date mid-July. The drone is actually a little louder than on the 2013 I traded in. Ryan tank, I’m not sure if whine and drone are the same thing? Drone is a low pitched sound, been described as similar to bad wheel bearing. I think I’ve read every post ever on the DU drone.

@Reefdiver Ah, I see. The sound that I hear is just the whirring sound of the front motor, I believe. Similar to my previous Model S, which I think had it more in the 40mph range. I wouldn't characterize it as a "drone" sound and I don't think it can be heard from the outside, just right in the front motor area inside the cabin.

I might hold the record with 7 drive units in my car.
The one I have now is definitely quiet at any speed. I tested it up to 125 mph. I always had the buzzing sound at low acceleration and they kept swapping it out. Not sure about the drone noise. One DU I had did make some noise at around 50 mph during regen.

I'm not sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to DU noise. There is no such thing as a quiet DU. They all make some sound and you can hear it, especially when accelerating. Some are more sensitive to certain frequencies. I just drove an almost brand new MS 75 and the sound from the DU was very similar to mine.

New 75 loaner drive unit was louder than my 2013 85 (with its second drive unit, wheel bearing to me). I have unfortunately, or maybe not, been in about 10 different MS loaners. Two new, and one model X and mine has been one of the quietest.

So the new 75 cabin was quieter, but DU louder, if that makes sense. So I felt that conversations could be had on the speaker phone and in person in the 75-85mph (and slower, obviously) range easier, but the DU was more apparent. Weird.

Hi all. Just traded in my 2013 S85 for a 2017 S75. I’m hearing a highway drone between 81-85 mph in my new Model S. My 2013 had DU replaced a few times for drone noise between 76-80 mph, and it was never completely quiet after each DU change, and it was always in that same speed range. I love the new car, as I loved the previous, but I wonder if it’s just normal for all DUs to have this bit of noise, in a specific speed range, which is not the same in all Model S. I’m glad at least in this car it’s in a speed range I don’t drive in too much. Anyone else who has driven several Model S have thoughts?
recording please

FWIW, the one area the Range Rover I traded in for the Model S was superior at was silence at speed. So was the Jag I had before that. Most high end or luxury ICE's do a better job at sound isloation, even as their engines are droning on outside the cabin.

Regarding the DU itself, my 2014 is completely silent with only a barely audible whine at full power.

• Helpful
Reactions: FutureShock
I’ll try to get a recording. What I’ve noticed in the cars I’ve owned and am wondering if is normal or not, is that I don’t hear the DU at all until I get to a very specific speed range, It’s silent below or above that range. The range itself is short, in my current car 81-85. Above 85, silent again. Maybe it’s so noticeable because it’s so silent otherwise, and it comes up so abruptly. Is this what others hear?

I took a longer drive this morning with the radio off. I wouldn't say the front motor noise is isolated to the 50 - 55mph speed range. I also hear it slightly in other ranges. Once the speed is steady/constant, then it suddenly fades away. I also hear it more when the car is doing regen. That's the sound, I would say. This all sounds normal to me now that I think about it. It also disappears the moment I turn on the radio. :)

On my 2013 S85 I had two occurrences of "drone":
1) About 1 year in, at speeds above 70MPH; Tire noise; fixed by wheel alignment
2) About 3 years in, at speeds above 50 MPH coupled with the "balloon squeal" at lower speeds (I don't recall which came first).

My DU was replaced with a re-furb "Q" unit IIRC. Whisper quiet thereafter.