Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Update on basic playlist display / audiobook list selection? Not gonna happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my model S P85 for 2 years now and wondering when I will be able to display and control playlists on my large touchscreen? This is a basic function one gets on even a basic rental car for some time now and that I have enjoyed for years on my other vehicles, even my trucks. I would like to not have to pull my phone or iPod out to change playlists or select audiobooks. (Also would like a better choice of streaming radio... had never heard of slacker before I bought a Tesla). Maybe I ask too much given the public Elon Musk disdain for Apple and maybe that explains why the Tesla is so backward in this one respect. I would put my music on an android device if I could get to my lists from my Tesla touch screen. -- Cheers. Doug

Across the board, the software delivers basic functionality (on a beautiful 17" touchscreen). We're missing so many features that are present in other cars (at much lower prices) - media playback should be much better (playlists?), navigation is relatively limited (waypoints, route customization, real-time traffic notices, information on upcoming POIs, ...), browser can't even display all of the Tesla website, calendar app is minimal, limited smartphone integration (no text messaging - which is a driver safety issue), ...

Yes - the Model S can play music from a USB drive or play music or audiobooks from a Bluetooth device - so it does support the basic requirements. And while it was understandable that Tesla was limited in what they could do in 2012 and 2013 as they ramped up production - after 3 years of building the Model S, surely they can start attacking the backlog of missing, requested and promised features...

Music from a USB stick that you mess with on your computer ahead of time ... how advanced! I like my Model S but the really backward nature of the browser (can't use it to see home drop cams or Nest stuff cause it is so backward...) and the music is baffling. I am guessing the internet connection Tesla negotiated (with Verizon?) just won't let them do anything interesting... I would love spotify, or beats, or apple music... or to see a playlist on my screen... lol... I was also promised a console for a year or more as well before they finally admitted they were not really going to make one in my custom finish (lacewood) as promised when I bought it (and every 3 months after for a year). I am not going to hold my breath anymore for a world-class sound / console experience and try not to be too bugged when i get into my other vehicles or a rented Kia...

I've been able to access my Slacker playlists since I updated my subscription to Premium ($9.99/mo). I still have to control my list on my laptop which then eventually syncs to the car. Every time there is a software upgrade I have to reenter my Slacker username and password on the touchscreen (Controls, Settings, Media) because it defaults back to the pre-installed Tesla username and password. When my car was in for service I asked a Tesla SR how to access my playlists - he didn't know either. I found the instructions on how to do it from somewhere in this forum.

Have had my model S P85 for 2 years now and wondering when I will be able to display and control playlists on my large touchscreen? This is a basic function one gets on even a basic rental car for some time now and that I have enjoyed for years on my other vehicles, even my trucks. I would like to not have to pull my phone or iPod out to change playlists or select audiobooks. (Also would like a better choice of streaming radio... had never heard of slacker before I bought a Tesla). Maybe I ask too much given the public Elon Musk disdain for Apple and maybe that explains why the Tesla is so backward in this one respect. I would put my music on an android device if I could get to my lists from my Tesla touch screen. -- Cheers. Doug
Yes extremely frustrating!!! Had my MS for 2 wks....no idea I would not have functional playlist capability like every car we have had for years! I thought this thing was the most technologically advanced car built? Stop worrying about Mars and get us a functional interface.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Unfortunately, many owners end up using their smartphones to listen to media or even for navigation.

Because of the numerous USB playback issues, I use Audible on my smartphone to listen to audiobooks. Others use Waze for navigation.

And this has been true since the first Model S cars were produced four years ago - and 8.0 has only made things worse (in some areas).

With 8.0, acquiring album art from the internet appears to be broken - or will no longer be supported.

Album art can be restored by using a tool like Media Monkey to embed album art into the music files - and when this is done, it eliminates the inconsistent album art we have been getting with prior releases.

If Tesla is now expecting owners to more carefully manage file content on the USB memory, they could also define a "playlist" file format, and let us create our own playlists offline - and play them in the car. That would provide us the playlist capability, without requiring Tesla to implement all of the UI required to create, edit, delete, reorder, ... playlists in the car. While not ideal, I'd be satisfied with that.

If we had playlist file support, someone might even develop a tool to manage the playlists for us offline.