Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to modify the navigation generated route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I see this, I wonder what crummy dedicated GPS you people used before Waze or Google Maps nav. to make you think these apps are good nav tools. (Crowd-sourced info notwithstanding, of course)

No kidding. Navigating with the apps most people use is just terrible in almost every way compared to a standalone unit. In addition to my onboard GPS (which is great for screen size and charging locations), I have a standalone Garmin that can find a hotel near my destination, a rest stop along the way and a Starbucks near me but in the right direction. I can store hundreds of favorites and group them based on what they are. The maps don't fail when I lose cell phone service, and navigation is not interrupted when I get a phone call. And the screen is larger than my phone.

I still run Waze in the background on my phone to alert me to accidents, debris in the road and law enforcement.

You might check and see what settings you have for traffic delays. If you try different times from 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. you might find that it would route you around that 15 minute traffic delay. When driving back from the eclipse, my car's navigation tried to route me around two delays. I followed the directions for the first delay and was routed to a virtually empty highway where I only saw 5 cars in the 30 minutes that I took the alternate route. It was a lot less stressful than the interstate that was packed with returning eclipse viewers who were all headed home at the same time and helped me avoid an accident where a semi had flipped over onto a car, backing up traffic for miles. I actually made it to the next Supercharger before a Model X which left the previous Supercharger 15 minutes before I was finished charging. A couple of hours later, my car suggested another alternate route but I didn't get off the interstate in time and ended up spending nearly 20 extra minutes in stop and go traffic.

I almost ALWAYS use the nav to go to work because there are two very different highway routes that are pretty much a wash unless there is an accident or traffic. The GPS knows about those and I don't. I ignore it at my peril. It also predicts reasonably well my arrival time whichever way it routes me, and I like knowing that.

The very first time I drove my car to work, I used the navigation and it routed me a back way. I thought it was odd but when I got to work, I found there was an accident that had virtually shut down the usual route and caused delays of an hour for a 5 mile drive. I don't always use navigation for my commutes, but when I do, it routes me around traffic. :)

WAZE app is awesome. I wish the Tesla/Google nav was Waze instead

I've never really liked Waze. Whenever there is an accident, it shows me 4 or 5 accidents along the same 4 mile stretch of highway. While there could be more than one accident, I'm pretty sure there aren't always 4 or 5 of them.

Last edited:
The Tesla navigation does seem to have a fondness for the GW Bridge based on a recent Boston to Baltimore round trip.

What I do - and it's crude - is force it to take the route I want by entering intermediate destinations (in reverse order). I do this right before I leave so that when I press "Navigate", they come up on the screen without having to type them in.

I get the benefit of turn by turn directions along the general route I want to take. But it requires some