Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to tell if a Model S has the dual chargers without feeding 11+kW into the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Turkey and a friend of mine just bought a P90D. Way things work here is you purchase through an importer "dealer" who goes through all the cumbersome tasks for you including picking it up from Tilburg/NL to importing to registering.

He paid the extra for the dual charger option yet he didn't feed anything more than three fase 16A (~11kw) into the car. Any way to know?

MyTesla doesn't list the full options I suppose?
Could we check through VIN?
Any physical checks to be done?

Thanks in advance for your help.

On the charge screen, where you can limit current draw, you can see how far up you can set the limiter. You can do this regardless of if you're plugged in or not. With dual chargers the limiter goes twice as high as with single charger.

Not so sure, single charger can handle up to 11kW, that's 3 phase 16A, but charging in single phase 220V at 32A (so 7kW) works just fine too with a single charger. Therefore max amperage is not a sufficient information to determine if dual-charger is installed.
Take a look under the rear seat.

Not so sure, single charger can handle up to 11kW, that's 3 phase 16A, but charging in single phase 220V at 32A (so 7kW) works just fine too with a single charger. Therefore max amperage is not a sufficient information to determine if dual-charger is installed.
Take a look under the rear seat.

How? Do I need to dismantle anything? If so how?

How? Do I need to dismantle anything? If so how?

Wait 10 minutes and I'll take a picture of the charging screen in my car and post for reference. You don't have to dismantle the back seat, trust me (my car was delivered with single charger and later upgraded, this was reflected on the screen interface: after the upgrade I was able to set double the amperage).

image.jpg

This toggle goes to 32 on a EU car with double charger.

Umm, I think HPWCs are connected to 240V supply in the US - at least mine is.
My point was to suggest that if the car allows to bump up the amps to anything higher than 40A, then the car has dual chargers.
But for this to produce the correct result, the car should not be plugged in.

Umm, I think HPWCs are connected to 240V supply in the US - at least mine is.
My point was to suggest that if the car allows to bump up the amps to anything higher than 40A, then the car has dual chargers.
But for this to produce the correct result, the car should not be plugged in.
Correct. All HPWCs are 240V, only the UMC has a 120V adapter.

Err, the 3 phase thing, I think is what I meant, well, I tried to learn all the electrical stuff when I first got the car but now I just plug it in and get a coffee... I think I get 64A max. to an HPWC with 1 charger and 32A to a typical 220V plug. (walks out backwards)

My Car (which Arrived yesterday) in the UK has a single charger and goes to 32A when connected to the blue adapter.
and 16A with a 3 phase red adapter connected

If connected to a 43kw capable 3 phase supply it only pulls 11kw

Yeah blue adapter is probably single phase 32A so 7kW. Where as 16A 3 phase is 11kW. It's easy to find 32A 3 phase plugs in Europe but Tesla (I think by law) doesn't allow 22kW charging with a good old cable for safety reasons even if you have a capable charger.(Whereas a converted Turkish EV called "DMA" allows it) You need an EVSE source or a cable with its built in EVSE to charge 22kW. That's how we do roadtrips with EVs in Turkey yet with "0" Superchargers or DC chargers. Every industrial zone, hotel laundry, restaurant dishwasher plug is 3 phase 32Amp. 110km charge in an hour.