Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any word on Superchargers near Greenville or Sulphur Springs (on I30 from Dallas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
As I consider a Tesla, one of my "use cases" is trips from Grapevine, TX to either Sulphur Springs or Paris, TX. We do these trips throughout the year, but very often around the holidays when it is colder, etc. I previously leased a Volt so I understand what happens with range at higher speeds, low temps, etc. The Tesla 2015 map APPEARS to show something on I30, but all I've seen reported here lately is the Denton supercharger. I hate to bank on a supercharger since it does appear Tesla can add or delete superchargers and the maps are forever optimistic. Anyway...anything?

I'm crossing my fingers that Collin Street Bakery in Greenville will be one of them. Tesla and CSB have a relationship (since they have them at Waco and Corsicana). So right now, I think we're guessing that Lindale (on I20) and Greenville Collin Street Bakeries will get a supercharger. I really hope so because the Greenville one would be very beneficial to me to give me some range assurance when going back and forth to the metroplex.

By the way, in the mean time, I'm just over in Mt Vernon if you ever are in a bind and need a quick top off. I have a 80Amp HPWC on plugshare.

So, I went ahead and called the Greenville CSB to see if they were planning to get one. The young lady I spoke to indicated there had been talk about it, but it all sounded very much up in the air (i.e. nothing definitive...which pretty well takes it off the list for 2015, not that it wasn't obvious already given the lead times for these). She did encourage me to send an email to CSB corporate encouraging them to put one in at her location!

Thanks for the offer JMG and if I end up with a Tesla I may just take you up on that! It was actually comments in this subforum that made me realize that one of the biggest benefits of TWIN chargers wasn't "at home" charging (which I considered overkill), but "on the road" charging when a Supercharger wasn't available - when you just need a "few more miles" and don't have a day to burn, they can come to the rescue. Destination charging, as always, seems to be the elephant in the room at this point in the charging infrastructure world.

At about 112 miles to Paris from Grapevine you could actually do that RT in an 85D with little concern. But more importantly don't overlook the 110V charge adapter. If you are visiting friends or family over a holiday you probably spend lots of time socializing and leaving the Tesla connected to just a simple 110V outlet can add 36 to 40 miles in a 12 hour overnight charge. Add that to your visit and you have extra miles to use the Tesla while you are there as well as a little extra for the trip home.
Range charging at the Denton SC on 380 might also get you a little more for the trip.
I just did about 3000 miles on a couple trips last month and I easily had 4 or 5 segments where I did 225-235 miles and has 25-40 miles of range left.
The 85D is an amazing vehicle and now the 90D makes it even better.
Dont hesitate on the purchase.

So, I went ahead and called the Greenville CSB to see if they were planning to get one. The young lady I spoke to indicated there had been talk about it, but it all sounded very much up in the air (i.e. nothing definitive...which pretty well takes it off the list for 2015, not that it wasn't obvious already given the lead times for these). She did encourage me to send an email to CSB corporate encouraging them to put one in at her location!

That is a good idea, so I went ahead and sent along a comment to corporate a comment of thanks for the existing partnership and hopes that their Greenville and Lindale locations will be in the future development. I also made mention of that fact that I always go inside to make a purchase when supercharging as a show of gratitude.