Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody receive the camera upgrade required for FSD in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mobile service last Friday, but unfortunately two of the cameras were incorrect so it will be 2 weeks for another appointment. Now, I have no autopilot as the cameras are in conflict. Sitting at 96 safety score. Hope you have better success.
Oh no, sorry to hear that. Yeah hopefully they get mine right. But thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to ask if the cameras are correct. Hopefully it doesn't happen again to you at your next appointment.

Update:

After booking the upgrade on Wednesday through the app where it defaulted to Mobile Service for October 18th, I messaged via Tesla app to express my concern about possible incorrect parts being installed by the mobile technician (as per BobX's experience). I got a reply from Tesla indicating that they will have the parts ready and that this cannot be done via Mobile Service, so I had them change the appointment to the closest Service Center (Vaughan) for the same day (Oct 18th).

Today I got another message saying "In order to minimize the time your vehicle is in service we need a little more time for the part to arrive". They suggested Oct 31st but I'm unavailable that day so I had them reschedule for Nov 1.

So @BobX looks like you'll be getting it first before I do. Hoping they have all the parts ready for your upgrade.

Reactions: Vawlkus
My car is still at the SC so not report on the camera upgrade. However, yesterday I received a notification from Tesla that camera upgrades can be booked through the request service feature of the app. Camera upgrade is apparently a selection where you specify the nature of the repair/upgrade. Hope this works for you.

Reactions: Shaz
Just got the message that the upgrade is available to me now.

Booking it in the app went a little weird (local service had a blank ticket), but I’m booked in to get the upgrade done Nov 10th. Since it’s the first one in my area, mobile passed it over to the local service bays.

I am booked for mobile this Friday. Can't believe they would make the appointment if they didn't have the correct parts.

So it's tricky - they create the service appointment based on the expectation of when the parts will come in when ordered. Sometimes that estimate is wrong - parts supply chains are complicated and when they don't arrive, the related appointments need to be re-scheduled. The alternative would be that they don't let you book at all until they have the parts in - personally I think that would be a poorer experience, in general parts do come in within the window to do the scheduled service.

Received an invoice today for my appointment on Tuesday. Checked the camera parts on the invoice and they all look to be correct.
Would suggest anyone who has the camera parts to cross reference with this google docs sheet created by fellow TMC members: Tesla cameras retrofit

These are the part numbers of the camera they will be installing this week.
1667072644500.png

Also don't forget to set your software update in your car to "Standard" in order to avoid updates that will take you past the version FSD Beta is currently in. I believe if you are on a more later version then you will have to wait for the next release of FSD Beta. Currently FSD Beta is in version 2022.20.18 if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and BobX
So finally got my cameras upgraded today. Dropped it off at the service center at 9:45 am , got the notification to pick it up at around 8:15 pm.

Picked it up and cleared the camera calibration data to re-run the camera calibration since there's been a change to the cameras. Took a while to fully calibrate but was able to conplete it.

Decided to try out autopilot and found that at times it would be give me a warning "Autopilot speed limited due to poor visibility". I parked the car and cleaned the cameras to make sure nothing was blocking the visibility but it happened again. Not sure if maybe FSD Beta is supposed to fix this?....I did notice that the warning would go away if there was a car in front of me while driving. So that would indicate that the problem was the front camera.

I took a look at the dashcam and the front camera does look a bit pixelated and washed out...but I'm not sure if that's just how it's supposed to look. I uploaded a screenshot of it. Anyone knowing this is normal? I tried to look for older footage to compare but they were all during the day so it's hard compare.

Anyways if this continues il need to book another service appointment.

Let the waiting for FSD Beta begin...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101-223445_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101-223445_Video Player.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20221101-221335_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101-221335_Video Player.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20221101-223801_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101-223801_Tesla.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 37
So finally got my cameras upgraded today. Dropped it off at the service center at 9:45 am , got the notification to pick it up at around 8:15 pm.

Picked it up and cleared the camera calibration data to re-run the camera calibration since there's been a change to the cameras. Took a while to fully calibrate but was able to conplete it.

Decided to try out autopilot and found that at times it would be give me a warning "Autopilot speed limited due to poor visibility". I parked the car and cleaned the cameras to make sure nothing was blocking the visibility but it happened again. Not sure if maybe FSD Beta is supposed to fix this?....I did notice that the warning would go away if there was a car in front of me while driving. So that would indicate that the problem was the front camera.

I took a look at the dashcam and the front camera does look a bit pixelated and washed out...but I'm not sure if that's just how it's supposed to look. I uploaded a screenshot of it. Anyone knowing this is normal? I tried to look for older footage to compare but they were all during the day so it's hard compare.

Anyways if this continues il need to book another service appointment.

Let the waiting for FSD Beta begin...
Picked up my car yesterday from SC. Error message continues on instrument display: "Autopilot cameras not available". Navigate on autopilot does not work whereas it did before the camera upgrade. Immediately returned to SC. Their explanation as written on the invoice:
1667396751258.png

I don't understand why they would do the camera upgrade if they know that it will not work until 2022.44 is available. I am worse off now since navigate on autopilot was working just fine before the upgrade. In addition, our cars are identical--2017 X. How is it that your problem and mine are so different. Very strange.
On a positive note, they successfully dealt with my connectivity issue which was the bigger problem. Presumably 2022.44 is just around the corner.

• Informative
Picked up my car yesterday from SC. Error message continues on instrument display: "Autopilot cameras not available". Navigate on autopilot does not work whereas it did before the camera upgrade. Immediately returned to SC. Their explanation as written on the invoice:
View attachment 870185
I don't understand why they would do the camera upgrade if they know that it will not work until 2022.44 is available. I am worse off now since navigate on autopilot was working just fine before the upgrade. In addition, our cars are identical--2017 X. How is it that your problem and mine are so different. Very strange.
On a positive note, they successfully dealt with my connectivity issue which was the bigger problem. Presumably 2022.44 is just around the corner.
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Yeah it is quite odd with both cars being identical models, but totally different errors. I just checked my invoice and there was no mention of 2022.44 . Only comment was "Retrofitted cameras. Verified proper operation". But thanks for the info on 2022.44, something to keep an eye out on going forward. I will update here once I get the update and see if I still get the same error.

Not sure if it's always been like this and it's only now that I'm actually looking at it because of the upgrade, but I notice some big gaps on the side of the camera (attached photo). Anyone know if this is normal?

Attachments

• 20221102_111722.jpg
    20221102_111722.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20221102_111612.jpg
    20221102_111612.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 40
Got the FSD beta update tonight. Can confirm that the update did get rid of those Autopilot warnings as I tried out FSD Beta in the thick fog around my neighborhood and did not get the "poor visibility" error. Hope you guys get your camera upgrades and updates soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-222716_Signal.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-222716_Signal.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Vawlkus
Got the FSD beta update tonight. Can confirm that the update did get rid of those Autopilot warnings as I tried out FSD Beta in the thick fog around my neighborhood and did not get the "poor visibility" error. Hope you guys get your camera upgrades and updates soon.
Good for you! And thanks for posting the details regarding the cameras. I checked my paperwork and compared it to your part #'s and I now believe they installed the wrong camera on the RH side location. I believe that is why I am getting the error message as what they installed is not compatible with the others!!!!

Good for you! And thanks for posting the details regarding the cameras. I checked my paperwork and compared it to your part #'s and I now believe they installed the wrong camera on the RH side location. I believe that is why I am getting the error message as what they installed is not compatible with the others!!!!
Ahh man that sucks!! Yeah take a look at that spreadsheet the other TMC members have been gathering information on and see if that part number is compatible or not.

As for me, I've been doing some more testing and I think something is up with my front camera. It keeps detecting something is there. Will need to do further tests.

Really hope you get your cameras resolved. It's not fun going to the SC.

Just an update on this, before trying to clean it myself I decided to see if the service center would be able to do it for me (for free) and booked an appointment. Explained to them what's been happening and they booked me in for service. The estimate indicated that it was free so I accepted.

Today was the appointment and they actually found a wiring harness blocking the front camera. They fixed it and cleaned the front camera lens.

Attached is the work done.

Will update here if the warning comes back again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-095031_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221107-095031_Drive.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: BobX
Mobile Service came and installed the correct camera. Drove a while on the highway to calibrate the cameras. The "wheel" completely circled the steering wheel on the instrument cluster, so I thought I was done. Next trip on the highway, tried to turn the Beta autopilot on, received error that there was still 5 % calibration still required on the cameras. That took about 20K. With calibration complete activated Beta autopilot. Drove 130K with navigation/autopilot on. Car knocked out autopilot 4 times in very funky intersections. However, on balance, very favourable first time experience.

Reactions: Vawlkus and Shaz