Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody with insight about when Model 3 will have CHAdeMO enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just kind of assumed it would be available. Absolute deal breaker for us. Glad we have some time to our potential purchase.

What possible reason would they not enable Chademo? Inquiring minds want to know.
Just time and priorities I imagine. Someone has to do a lot of testing to verify compatibility and safety of the adapter with the car, and it just isn't high enough in the queue.

This is a Big Deal to me and some others, notably Japan and Canada, and Canadian deliveries are beginning, so it should be time. Does anybody know what is happening?
Have you sent an email to [email protected] and asked them what is the status on this ? It might be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

For me I have a CHAdeMO adapter and have used it maybe a couple of times at most. The CHAdeMO stations around here are often broken or iced so I try to avoid using them most of the time.

Just to pile on here: There were a lot of ChaDeMo and now CCS stations installed up and down the West Coast. I would like the option of using these especially since a lot of them are in places a long way from superchargers.

West Coast Green Highway: West Coast Electric Highway

I find it sad that Tesla does not support either of these on the Model 3. It feels like they are taking a "go it alone" strategy with their supercharger network.

Here is to hoping that they update the existing ChaDeMo adapter to make it compatible with the M3 soon! Or they come up with a new adapter...

J1772 is nice because it is common to all EV's. Fast charging is kind of a mess between ChaDeMo, Superchargers, and CCS / CCS2.0.

Reactions: KJD
Umm, I assume the reason they don't open CHAdeMO for the 3 is to ensure revenue stream for the SC now until they recoup and become profitable as a company on the whole...

Tesla makes no profit selling electricity at Superchargers. The prices are just covering their own cost from the utility companies. Selling the CHADeMo adapter they at least make a few $.

I agree, they have a lot of things they need to fix with the Model 3 and the CHADeMO adapter is just a lower priority.

My CHADeMO adapter (for my S) has been used countless times and has saved me on many trips. Definitely useful. I highly recommend getting one when available for the 3. Ultimately CCS is the standard that will be the most common and Tesla should just freaking add the CCS plug to their cars next to their own.

Reactions: gambit48
I suspect that there's a lot of software programming required to communicate between the ChaDeMo charger and a vehicle battery. This versus EVSE/ AC charging where it utilizes the onboard charger which is a simple physical adapter. Simply a prioritization of resources.

I suspect that there's a lot of software programming required to communicate between the ChaDeMo charger and a vehicle battery. This versus EVSE/ AC charging where it utilizes the onboard charger which is a simple physical adapter. Simply a prioritization of resources.

There sure is, but they have already done that for the Model S and X so it's not a little surprising it would take such a long time.

There sure is, but they have already done that for the Model S and X so it's not a little surprising it would take such a long time.

It has to be done and calibrated for each battery pack and its characteristics versus just a simple communication. So every battery pack size / variation etc. has to have a different profile programmed for a fast charger.

Reactions: eprosenx
It has to be done and calibrated for each battery pack and its characteristics versus just a simple communication. So every battery pack size / variation etc. has to have a different profile programmed for a fast charger.

That's already been done.The max charge rate of any given scenario has been established for the Model 3 when connected to the Supercharger. The communication with the CHADeMO charger has also been done. You don't have to rewrite everything.

Umm, I assume the reason they don't open CHAdeMO for the 3 is to ensure revenue stream for the SC now until they recoup and become profitable as a company on the whole...

I don't really buy that. I'll use a SC if available, but CHAdeMO would save me a lot of time for routes without SC, and make me more comfortable taking road trips to certain areas, all of which make me a happier owner.

CHAdeMO would be more efficient for me at work, in addition to having flexibility when out and about. There are two ChargePoint DC Fast stations at work. Ideally, 6 Teslas can get charged at each station during the day (75 minutes per car). Using a regular level 2 charger, only 2 Teslas can get their fill (4 hours each). Granted, there's a little more than a dozen level 2 stations in the parking garage that services the Bolts, Volts, eGolfs, i3s, Prii, along with the Teslas that can't use the DC Fast stations.

That's already been done.The max charge rate of any given scenario has been established for the Model 3 when connected to the Supercharger. The communication with the CHADeMO charger has also been done. You don't have to rewrite everything.
Even if the adapter would have otherwise worked perfectly without tweaks, something we have no real basis for judging, they still need to conduct a boatload of testing before enabling it.

Tesla makes no profit selling electricity at Superchargers. The prices are just covering their own cost from the utility companies. Selling the CHADeMo adapter they at least make a few $.

I agree, they have a lot of things they need to fix with the Model 3 and the CHADeMO adapter is just a lower priority.

My CHADeMO adapter (for my S) has been used countless times and has saved me on many trips. Definitely useful. I highly recommend getting one when available for the 3. Ultimately CCS is the standard that will be the most common and Tesla should just freaking add the CCS plug to their cars next to their own.

I mean profitability as a whole. Not from SC. Every penny counts. I'm sure covering their costs of the SC via M3 is a bigger priority than selling the adapter. once they hit profitability, they may relax a bit and enable CHADeMO. How much would the adapter cost? would it generate more revenue than SC? I think the revenue being generated by SC to cover costs would dwindle if they supported CHADeMO

Assuming that Tesla can use the existing CHAdeMO adapter being sold for S/X on a Model 3 (i.e., just flipping some bits in the firmware), that's an extra $450 they are getting from me.

My use of the CHAdeMO adapter would almost be entirely at work where we have ChargePoint DC Fast stations. Would save significant time over the Level 2 stations. It would provide peace of mind when out traveling but I would still rely upon Superchargers for nearly all my long trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD