Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought the track package for a daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 21” Arachnid are interchangeable with the 20” Zero G track wheels—not sure the 19s are.
Yeah the 19s don’t clear the track package, but I’m running aftermarket 20s (Volk TE37s). For other cars they always had a reputation of being pretty good for clearing BBKs, but some have suggested that’s not the case here. I don’t personally know anyone with the track package to test fit them. And I don’t know the critical dimensions of the track package calipers to try to measure things up.

I just got mine and thought about it but won't get it until I decide to track it.

If you go to drag strip, probably get it.

I don't think I'd ever use it for commuting. Even now the times that I max the pedal, I have given myself enough space to regen brake back to cruising speed or very light brake.

If you are more aggressive than I am and brake hard after flying, maybe it's a good insurance policy hehe.
On the other hand, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (come on Plaid cars) are AA traction and the Goodyear Eagle tires with the track package are only A traction. The latter tolerates repeated turns better. On the surface it seems the stickier tire would be better for the drag strip, since the car automatically applies anti-slip. I believe it would do so less with better traction tires. Less chirp is better.

I wonder if the 20" wheels are a good option for the street. Seems like exactly the right size. The 21s are too big and heavy, 19s have too much sidewall ....
You can always do an aftermarket fully-forged setup. This typically results in a stronger and lighter wheel.
The Track Pack wheels are of cast construction, if I'm not mistaken.

-Danny

I am running 295/35/R20 all around. You can make your own judgment regarding enough tire or not. I will say the extra tire up front reduces the car pushing in turns when in track mode.
Ditto. I ran a square 245 setup on a P85D, including one trip to a track. It was sidewall flex in turns which the narrower Michelins (PS2?) 21's seem to struggle with (even at 50+psi). If I ever go Plaid, 295 or maybe 285 all around would be preferred. No issues braking / accelerating the lesser P85D. It's so much nicer to rotate scalloped tires and balance more inevitable inside wear. I lowered the coils and installed the camber kit (EGarage), which takes camber from -2+ to -1deg and saves tires. Not sure Plaid fixes the Model S geometry issue that adds >1 deg of negative camber on the way down, but it used to wreck tires on "Low". With wider ones, I'd expect worse.

Rupe: Not easy, but there may be forged makers who meet the bolt pattern and offset for 20" wheels. You might find a set, or make them work with spacers. Good hunting.

The forged aftermarket wheels seem to be big bucks.

Deciding between the 21" setup for $4k or 20" setup for $6k....
We've been doing a lot of bespoke BC Forged for these new Model S.
Under $4k for a 20" setup. ~20lbs

image.png

Lug pattern, center bore, TPMS sensors, and lug nuts are all plug & play affair. Also, Track Pack brake clearance can be accommodated for.

More info:

-Danny

Does anyone know the weights of the track pack wheels? Tesla says they are forged on the website. I wonder if they are actually lighter? Seems like an equivalent tire and wheel package is $6700 from here:
Around 30-34lbs.

They're also of cast construction and not forged apparently. Not exactly sure how Tesla is getting away with advertising them as "Forged" on the website...
tesla_track_wheel-jpg.993267

-Danny

Around 30-34lbs.

They're also of cast construction and not forged apparently. Not exactly sure how Tesla is getting away with advertising them as "Forged" on the website...

-Danny

The might be spun-cast or flow-formed which has is not fully forged but has some properties of forging due to the folding that happens as the cast spins. In between cast and forged in terms of strength.

Reactions: MODEL+
That makes a lot more sense now.
But you and I both know that 30-34lbs is still rather heavy for a 20" forged wheel.

-Danny
I'm nervous about aftermarket wheel manufacturers talking about how light their wheels are. How can we know they are strong enough? Although Tesla doesn't have a great reputation for engineering things to be strong enough, like suspension parts.

I'm nervous about aftermarket wheel manufacturers talking about how light their wheels are. How can we know they are strong enough? Although Tesla doesn't have a great reputation for engineering things to be strong enough, like suspension parts.
You can definitely count on a reputable company like Rays or BBS. Other manufacturers you’ll have to make a judgment call. I would generally trust a lesser known forged wheel over a cast wheel in most cases.

Reactions: MODEL+
Do you daily drive the track pack wheels and tires?
I use to daily the stock set up for a while until i caught a nail in the tire. They werent too bad when I used them in the summer but they definitely kick up a ton of rocks. Im on michelin PS4S in the same size now with over 8k miles since first getting the track pack. Only thing i dislike is Tesla still hasnt put an option for the 20 inch wheels so the speedometer is still off.