Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone come from an X3M?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BMWY

Mar 29, 2021
SJ
Curious is anyone here came to the MY from a BMW X3M? I had an X3M a few years ago and loved it, but ended up selling it when I went FT WFH. Looking for something new now though and I'm stuck between the refreshed X3M and the MYP. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

I had a x3 m40i and I miss it to be honest. The interior was perfect and if they made a x3 with the MYP drive train I would be all over it. I also miss when the seat belts would tighten up whenever you’re about to floor it. Felt like my car was hugging me haha.

Not going to gas stations is nice though and the acceleration is unreal. The x3 M is probably a different animal compared to my 40i.

I had a x3 m40i and I miss it to be honest. The interior was perfect and if they made a x3 with the MYP drive train I would be all over it. I also miss when the seat belts would tighten up whenever you’re about to floor it. Felt like my car was hugging me haha.

Not going to gas stations is nice though and the acceleration is unreal. The x3 M is probably a different animal compared to my 40i.

I had one of those (X3 M40i), a 2019 model that we ordered. It had every option but the tow hitch. It only had 7k miles on it when we sold it this year, and we took delivery of it in Jan of 2019.

The fit and finish on that car was quite a bit better than my model 2018 model 3. The 2022 model Y performance we replaced it with is closer, but still not BMW standards yet. I feel that the Model YP is faster, but the X3 handled better, at least when driven in sport mode (we had the adaptive suspension).

Im not sorry for selling it, because even though my wife doesnt drive that much, and the car had almost no miles, being able to not go to the gas station with either car now is liberating. My wife basically cruises around town (7k miles in 3 years, as I mentioned) and even though we special ordered that X3, I grew to dislike driving it after getting used to the instant response from my Model 3.

We very (very) briefly considered the iX but felt it was too expensive for what they were offering with it, and I felt a lot better about owning a tesla longer term than a BMW, as far as maintenance goes. Time will tell, but my model 3 has been mechanically solid, only minor issues on delivery. The biggest outstanding thing I have on my model 3 is the wind noise when driving, and the 2022 model Y we have is quite a bit better in that regard, but not quite BMW either.

Total package, we are happy with the Model Y P. We have had it a month and half, wife is very happy not sitting in the costco gas line anymore, and I actually feel better about the model Y P sitting in the garage not being driven for a week or more, and only puttering around town, than I did for the BMW. BMW engines really want to "be driven" as it were, at least in my opinion. Not really that worry (about not putting it through its paces enough) on the Model Y P.

Reactions: z335is
I replaced X3 (not M version) with MYP.
1. Ride quality much softer on X3 with good suspension and higher clearance. MYP sits much lower with rougher ride, relatively speaking.
2. X3 interior is nice and high quality. Seats are comfortable. Screens are nice with wireless Apple CarPlay, but not much entertainment option.
3. Space in the back seats is tiny in X3. Very limited leg room vs spacious legroom’s in MYP.
4. Trunk storage in X3 is fine. MYP is bigger.

Off the light there’s no comparison. MYP will smoke X3 10/10. Not to say X3 is bad, just not as fast.

Reactions: mangrove79
I took delivery of my MY today and also have a '21 X3 30i as my last remaining ICE vehicle. Both of my models are a step down (two steps down for the Bimmer) from what you're asking about, but while I do love my MY I also really love my X3. Build quality inside and out is much better and feels so refined when driving versus the MY. Back seat space is much better in the MY as is cargo space and seats are so much softer than the X3 (M Sport package). I really do love both, but it really depends on your primary uses for the vehicle as to which would be better for you (i.e. do you do a lot of long distance driving, would you have a way to charge at home, etc.).

I sold my 2021 X3M Competition and went with a 2022 MYP and I'm very happy with my decision. Nothing wrong with X3MC, just wanted a bit more cargo room, since mine had the spare tire hump, and wanted more comfort as the X3MC suspension is stiff. Also; the gas savings advantages are considerably since I used my X3MC for our weekend trips. I am not kidding when I say; so far the gas savings have been over $500/mo!

IMG_1869.jpg

MYP or MYLR + AB for your daily, and get a B58 or S58 BMW in a smaller body shape for the weekends.

The B58 and S58 are IMO probably the best motors BMW have ever made. 👍 Maybe a manual, because if you look after it, it will look after you financially in the long term when the BEV market is saturated and business as usual is resumed in terms of new vehicle depreciation.