Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone coming from a Pilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had planned on my next car being a Tesla, purchased at some point in the next few years. Two weeks ago, a careless driver t-boned me and totaled my Accord. So now I’m car-shopping a lot sooner than I expected.

Some context - my 12-y.o. son was in the Accord with me, in the rear passenger-side seat, when I was hit. The point of impact was the rear passenger-side door. Fortunately, nobody was hurt; the Accord did its job. But I am still pretty upset when I think about what could have happened if the other driver had been going 5-10mph faster when she hit me.

All that is to say that I’m moving up to an SUV no matter what, to reduce my odds of being the smaller car the next time something like that happens.

I’ve had a Honda Pilot before and really enjoyed it, but as I said, I’ve already had my eye on a MY for some time. So I’m at a crossroad here. The Pilot gets really good safety ratings, but not quite as good as the MY, it seems. But the Pilot is also taller, with more ground clearance,

Glad no one was hurt! Not a Pilot but I had a 16 MDX Tech (Luxury Pilot?) and it was a great SUV with no issues at all. The Tesla is next level though. Also one of the safest cars ever designed. Test drive one and you’ll be hooked for sure…

Reactions: squirk
Not quite a pilot but my family has an Acura MDX that I've driven extensively before I got my Y. My sister currently has it in college with a bit over 200k miles with zero issues other than routine services. I actually love that car, fantastic awd system. Personally thing SH-AWD is the best on the market beating out the Tesla hands down in snowy conditions. Teslas system doesn't really allow for slip so while it responds instantly, it does so by cutting full power and stabilizing left and right. Acuras system allows power to be sent to any individual wheel which does a wildly good job powering through corners in snow/rain. Feels more in line to a GTR than a 4x4. Another annoyance with teslas system in rain/snow is the regen. There is no more low setting so you have 1 default that you must master otherwise if you try to instinctively lift off throttle in a huge puddle so the tires sink down, you will actually hydroplane instead. Its a weird sensation trying to keep calm enough to balance your foot against momentum during rain/snow emergency situations. Even though I complain about there not being a snow/wet mode for regen, you will eventually master it, granted you drive it every day and don't switch between ice cars. Model Y ride quality absolutely sucks in comparison to the Acura but it is a bit more nimble. The Y actually has a pretty high seating position but lower ground clearance which is a bit of a pain if you go anywhere outside of roads but that makes for some fun handling in corners. And thats where the model y shines... the performance is leagues better than most of its ice competitors in its respective classes. Also not paying for gas and maintenance on an suv adds up... Technology is phenomenal and it feels like the future... The Y is a cool car and you wouldn't regret getting it.

So I have recent experience with all three of those vehicles. When I picked up the MY late last year, I traded in a Honda Accord. We had a Honda Pilot that finally bit the dust a couple years ago which we had drove concurrently with the Pilot for many years (it was an initial production year Pilot from forever ago).

Driving the Pilot, compared to the MY, it feels significantly higher up. Like you say, it feels heavier, wider, and taller. Everything felt bigger in the Pilot, including the interior/leg room, etc. which is nice, but the comparable downside is the Pilot feels like it had a lot more body-roll and was much more of a lumbering giant than a nimble linebacker like the MY. To me, it feels like the MY is positioned somewhere in between the Pilot and Accord. Driving the MY feels slightly closer to driving the Accord in terms of size and height than the Pilot.

The Pilot's height was nice since you could see more of the road. It did "feel" marginally safer in that regard, but I know the MY, in measurable terms, is the safer car. In terms of driving feel, the Pilot's body roll and lumbering acceleration made it feel like I couldn't drive as defensively. With the Y, it feels significantly more planted to the ground when taking turns (compared to both the Pilot and Accord). The MY is just a much more nimble car due to its low center of gravity and fast/instant acceleration. One big thing though, the MY does feel much less stable in snow and bad weather than the Pilot and feels similar to the Accord in bad weather. Though, this might be easily fixed by getting more weather-appropriate tires on the MY and minimizing regen breaking (track mode soon?).

To be fair, we're comparing a full size SUV (Pilot) vs compact SUV (MY) vs full size sedan (Accord) which are all drastically different classes of vehicles. Characteristics of cars in each of those different classes generally apply here, much as you would expect. The only real "surprise" to me is that the MY, when compared to other compact SUV's, drives/feels more like a sedan than an SUV.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and squirk
No car on the US market is rated "not safe" Almost all cars get some sort of "high safety" rating.
Also, the safety rating cannot be applied for every situation, so if you are unlucky, you can get hurt or experience death with the highest safety rated cars.
if your concern is side impact protection with high ground clearance, get this =)

f667c220a262344afd5968b5969205e8.jpg

Thanks, everyone. I really wish there was a way to rent one on a short-term basis, like a week, just to see how it feels after the initial novelty wears off. But Turo doesn't have anything near me, and I don't think Hertz or Enterprise rents out MYs anyway (at least, not in my area).

Owner of a Model Y Long Range currently, came from a 2014 & 2018 Pilot, happy to give pros for a Honda Pilot compared to a Model Y:
Pilot PROS - more room (2nd row, 3rd row), more ground clearance, waaayy more comfortable ride (suspension), arguably better reliability, quieter ride especially on highways, better speaker system (I had the touring, the ELS audio system was something else), Apple Carplay
Tesla PROS - cheaper cost of ownership, way more fun to drive, more comfortable seats, better safety (i.e. autopilot) features, a better driving experience especially with in-city driving

Keep in mind this is purely my perspective, I'm sure some may disagree. One last thing, I can't understate this enough, the ride in the Model Y is very jarring FIRM. You will feel every bump, dip, imperfection on the road. Coming from a Honda Pilot, this was the toughest adjustment I encountered - for many Tesla owners this is not a deal breaker but I cannot stress this enough that the ride is borderline uncomfortable for me.

No car on the US market is rated "not safe" Almost all cars get some sort of "high safety" rating.
Also, the safety rating cannot be applied for every situation, so if you are unlucky, you can get hurt or experience death with the highest safety rated cars.
if your concern is side impact protection with high ground clearance, get this =)

f667c220a262344afd5968b5969205e8.jpg

Yes, I was just thinking that last night. All the hype about MYs getting the highest possible safety ratings from IIHS and NHTSA? The MY doesn't appear to be only SUV, or even the only EV SUV, to have that distinction.

Owner of a Model Y Long Range currently, came from a 2014 & 2018 Pilot, happy to give pros for a Honda Pilot compared to a Model Y:
Pilot PROS - more room (2nd row, 3rd row), more ground clearance, waaayy more comfortable ride (suspension), arguably better reliability, quieter ride especially on highways, better speaker system (I had the touring, the ELS audio system was something else), Apple Carplay
Tesla PROS - cheaper cost of ownership, way more fun to drive, more comfortable seats, better safety (i.e. autopilot) features, a better driving experience especially with in-city driving

Keep in mind this is purely my perspective, I'm sure some may disagree. One last thing, I can't understate this enough, the ride in the Model Y is very jarring FIRM. You will feel every bump, dip, imperfection on the road. Coming from a Honda Pilot, this was the toughest adjustment I encountered - for many Tesla owners this is not a deal breaker but I cannot stress this enough that the ride is borderline uncomfortable for me.

Thanks. The lack of CarPlay is not a deal-breaker, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a concern.

On the whole - it seems like you're happy with the switch from the MY to the Pilot?

Coming from an MDX and I tell you what, once Lexus releases their RZ all electric EV I'm gone. You'll notice a lot more wind noise due to the stupid one piece glass roof design, poor quality and lower ride height. Don't get me wrong, it's fast, you don't have to gas up but it lacks for a $60k + car. If you can wait, which you would be anyways if you ordered today (not available till august), I would. By then the next generation pilot will be out and if anything like the current generation MDX, it would have 360 camera and wireless CarPlay, which the Y does not.

I came from a previous generation (2016) Honda Odyssey, so not quite a Pilot, but I understand they have/had the same platform? I switched about 6 months ago so I barely remember anything about the Odyssey's ride, but despite all of the comments I've read about MY's (and especially MYP) harsh ride, it hasn't bother me at all. Yes, it's definitely very firm, but for me, coming off two Odysseys spanning about 13 years, the MYP's ride hasn't been an issue. I think it's just something you need to test drive and decide for yourself.

Regarding Carplay, my Odyssey didn't have it, but I used Carplay for a month and a half in rental cars while my MYP was at a body shop. I would say the only function I would probably use in Carplay for in the Tesla is fast fowarding podcasts. Otherwise the Tesla navigation and Tidal covers pretty much all other functions I might use Carplay for.

Do you have a service center nearby that provide test drives? If so, maybe schedule one near their closing time and see if they would let you take it home. That's what I did and the overnight test drive solidified my decision to order the MYP.

Pilot Pros: No need to check for panel gaps with a micrometer, no need for PPF, cheaper insurance cost, cheaper tax, larger interior and cargo volume, no phantom braking, 2nd row caption's chair (easy access to 3rd row), no haters (less chance to get keyed or kicked or rolling coal attack), ventilated seats, Homelink standard, tires last longer, Widely available/accessible repair/maintenance network.

MY Pros: Faster, Better AWD (with dual motor), no need for engine/tranny oil change every 5k miles, less chance of rollover, connectivity (between you and the car and internet), better resale value (for now), Cameras recording 360 degrees of your car while parked and driving, you can charge at home, you don't deal with evil car dealers, Still cool car that a lot of people pay attention to.

I came from a previous generation (2016) Honda Odyssey, so not quite a Pilot, but I understand they have/had the same platform? I switched about 6 months ago so I barely remember anything about the Odyssey's ride, but despite all of the comments I've read about MY's (and especially MYP) harsh ride, it hasn't bother me at all. Yes, it's definitely very firm, but for me, coming off two Odysseys spanning about 13 years, the MYP's ride hasn't been an issue. I think it's just something you need to test drive and decide for yourself.

Regarding Carplay, my Odyssey didn't have it, but I used Carplay for a month and a half in rental cars while my MYP was at a body shop. I would say the only function I would probably use in Carplay for in the Tesla is fast fowarding podcasts. Otherwise the Tesla navigation and Tidal covers pretty much all other functions I might use Carplay for.

Do you have a service center nearby that provide test drives? If so, maybe schedule one near their closing time and see if they would let you take it home. That's what I did and the overnight test drive solidified my decision to order the MYP.

Yes, the Pilot and the Odyssey (we have had both) are the same platform and very similar. I briefly looked at an MDX (again, same platform), but didn't see enough of a bump above the Pilot to justify the price premium. If the MY and the Lucid R1S weren't kicking around, a Pilot Elite would be a no-brainer.

Re: Carplay - I lean on it a lot. Three kids, a lot of text messages while driving. Love Waze. The family is knee-deep into both Apple Music and Amazon Music. We don't use Spotify, and seriously, using Bluetooth for accessing our music services of choice seems very anachronistic. That's one of the reasons I'd like to drive a MY for, like, a week, if I could - to see how much I'd really miss those services and/or how much a downgrade or PITA it would be to go back to Bluetooth streaming.

I do have a service center near me, and I just reached out to them to see if they offer an extended test drive as you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion.

I agree with your pros/cons list above. My experiences are very similar (other than speakers - I had a first run Pilot with stock speakers. they were just... fine.)

The ride quality on the highway (bumps, road noise, wind noise, etc) in my Model Y is honestly very similar to the ride in my 2010 Scion TC that I lowered with cheapo coilovers and put big wheels with rubber band tires onto (rolled fenders, 1" ground clearance, front/rear strut bars, etc). That TC was a "ricer" and was NOT a very comfortable ride at all. Form over function and all that. Unfortunately the MY doesn't fare too much better in terms of ride quality.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and squirk
Yes, the Pilot and the Odyssey (we have had both) are the same platform and very similar. I briefly looked at an MDX (again, same platform), but didn't see enough of a bump above the Pilot to justify the price premium. If the MY and the Lucid R1S weren't kicking around, a Pilot Elite would be a no-brainer.

Re: Carplay - I lean on it a lot. Three kids, a lot of text messages while driving. Love Waze. The family is knee-deep into both Apple Music and Amazon Music. We don't use Spotify, and seriously, using Bluetooth for accessing our music services of choice seems very anachronistic. That's one of the reasons I'd like to drive a MY for, like, a week, if I could - to see how much I'd really miss those services and/or how much a downgrade or PITA it would be to go back to Bluetooth streaming.

I do have a service center near me, and I just reached out to them to see if they offer an extended test drive as you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't like using the Bluetooth streaming. It connects easily and painlessly to the car most the time but you're trying to control the music through an app... it's very annoying and dangerous to have to pick up your phone to navigate the app, instead of on the giant screen in front of you.

All that said, I still wouldn't pick the Pilot over a MY just because of the music situation. There is SO MUCH to love about the Model Y and the car is just leagues beyond most traditional ICE vehicles in a similar price range.

If you use Carplay heavily, it would be really good to try to have an extended test drive to see if what Tesla has can satisfy your needs. I've never used text message functions in Carplay or the Tesla, but Tesla does have a text message function. I noticed with the V11 update, Apple Music, which I used a little bit before subscribing to Tidal, at least got a list of upcoming songs in the UI.

One thing that I don't see much discussion about is that I think the Tesla is a GREAT car for waiting for kids during activities that are far enough from home that it doesn't make sense to do a return trip, mainly thanks to the fact that HVAC can stay on as long as you have enough power and the giant screen. I find myself actually looking forward to waiting a couple of hours for my kids' activities while catching up on Disney+ shows in my car. LOL!

If you use Carplay heavily, it would be really good to try to have an extended test drive to see if what Tesla has can satisfy your needs. I've never used text message functions in Carplay or the Tesla, but Tesla does have a text message function. I noticed with the V11 update, Apple Music, which I used a little bit before subscribing to Tidal, at least got a list of upcoming songs in the UI.

One thing that I don't see much discussion about is that I think the Tesla is a GREAT car for waiting for kids during activities that are far enough from home that it doesn't make sense to do a return trip, mainly thanks to the fact that HVAC can stay on as long as you have enough power and the giant screen. I find myself actually looking forward to waiting a couple of hours for my kids' activities while catching up on Disney+ shows in my car. LOL!
That's a great point - I too find that the MY is an amazing car for sitting and waiting (something I didn't anticipate at all). The seats are very comfortable, the HVAC etc stays on nicely, the audio system is good, entertainment selection is vast and due to the minimalistic design, it doesn't feel cramped or stuffy as we wait. The kids love it when we go get pizza and sit in the car waiting 30 min in the parking lot playing Stardew valley. My son asks me multiple times a day if we can go to the supercharger (just so he can sit in the car and play games).

Reactions: squirk and gx9901