Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S and I can’t figure out why they moved the gear indicator to the other side of my IC. It makes no logical sense. Flip it back over above the handle.

smaller text is sharp but harder to see with progressive lens.

I see as a distraction from Tesla away from things they need to be working on like good intermittent wipers or FSD that we have waited forever for.

I am not happy withe the new UI. I think the only reason for all the white space on the left in the M3 is so they can show the car at an "artistic" angle when parked. This allowed them to show the windows, doors and wheel angles. Would much rather have a larger map and critical information display.
The white area sould automatically shrink when you put the car into Reverse or Drive .

The white area sould automatically shrink when you put the car into Reverse or Drive .

and yet, dynamically changing ui's are more distracting. we need less distractions, not more.

why does the UI have to be 'exciting' ? isn't the driving experience supposed to be the primary? when the UI was dials and knobs (back in the dinosaur days), it was not 'sexy' - it was functional and they didn't have to fix design errors once they passed a very VERY extensive usability study.

now (thanks, agile) those studies seem completely skipped, from what I can tell.

a touchscreen system as the SOLE user interface is a lazy solution. its a "we'll figure it out, later, someday" solution. I don't really love that concept.

to me, they had the model S to learn how a UI should be. it was out there for long enough time. THAT should have been tesla's alpha test. to change things so many times is just not a good 'look' for a company that wants to be taken seriously.

+1 here. I was disappointed by this, "big" update. It seemed to be mainly around the UI and even those UI updates seem to be FSD oriented.

The speed numbers are way too small now; the biggest complaint about the past ui was that the user had to look down and to the side. Well, now it's still down and to the side but you have to find it in the clutter.

I liked the large navigation map and backup cameras from before too.

If anything, the new UI should be a FSD mode UI option and not the standard UI.

All the other updates seem minor too.

I just drove from Portland to Vancouver BC and agree with many of the comments in this thread--I find the new UI to be harder to see, the cartoon showing the cars around me is not particularly useful, and I wish the map view would not keep reverting to the zoomed-in setting. I also was surprised at how inaccurate the automatic windshield wiper sensors seem to be, at least for those of us who live in the Pacific Northwest (the sensors on our 2006 Lexus are much more accurate).

On the other hand, it's encouraging to hear that Elon Musk occasionally responds to these critiques and that those of you who have been regular contributors to this forum feel that Tesla does pay some attention to this feedback.

I hate the new layout. Empty white space is now a glaring hole on the left side of the screen, while useful information like the map, backup camera, and speedometer are smaller. I don’t need a huge cartoon of what I can already see in real life right in front of me. I need the information I can’t see, and it needs to be easily understood.
Well said, I completely agree. It was so much easier before Christmas! Fun, even!

Am I the only person to notice this downgrade since the latest "upgrade"? I am a volunteer driver and have to keep a record of my trip mileage. Prior to the upgrade, I would simply sweep right on the white area of the screen and would find the odometer and reset my trip to zero. Now I can no longer do this. I have found that I can give a verbal command "show odometer" and I can get the old cascade of windows to my trip meter. Annoyingly, there is no documentation describing this limitation with the new update. Is there another way of doing this?

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
perhaps I'm not the right customer for Tesla, as I almost never look at the visualizations on the screen while I drive.
Dancing cars could be there or not; I don't care. A larger space for visualizations makes no sense to me (as I don't use it in the first place). I'd much rather keep my eyes on the road. Moreover, a smaller map is ludicrous. (Does the UI team just think the are coding for video games?)

The only plus is that the 'speedometer' is now top left corner (in US) which is perfect as it is in my peripheral vision (for my height and seat position). That said, many on this thread have posted that the new location of the speedo doesn't work for them as it is blocked by their arm when at the correct driving position (for their height and seat position).

Agree with others that the font sizes are now too small. (Is that clock time or my remaining miles?)

Am I the only person to notice this downgrade since the latest "upgrade"? I am a volunteer driver and have to keep a record of my trip mileage. Prior to the upgrade, I would simply sweep right on the white area of the screen and would find the odometer and reset my trip to zero. Now I can no longer do this. I have found that I can give a verbal command "show odometer" and I can get the old cascade of windows to my trip meter. Annoyingly, there is no documentation describing this limitation with the new update. Is there another way of doing this?

You can still swipe to see the cards. Will show the trip cards, the tire pressure cards, and the middle is blank. Try again, it is still there.

As someone who doesnt have FSD or plan to get it, I am pretty frustrated with the design changes. Why did they make all the GLANCABLE relevant information so much more smaller and harder to read locations?

Also now it just looks like my car is floating in a giant white space while driving. It doesnt even look like its movingm its very jarring...The model of the car is now very low quality with no anti-aliasing and jaggy edges all over. It looks terrible.

Why are there 2 different #s for the speed I'm going ? I dont understand why they thought this was good.

Actually no, I'm loving it. Much cleaner and better groupings/ access of some things.

On my Porsche 911, before I blew it up, Dr. P. put the tachometer as the largest gauge in the five gauge cluster, top dead center in front of the driver and made it twice as big as the other four. Speedometer and oil temps/fuel paired gauge were number two and three, framing the tachy. alternator was on the left, and time was on the right on the older Porsches, water termperature on the new ones. When everything was perfect, all the needles of the three critical indications were vertical (4000 rpm, 100mph, 190 degrees oil) and the needels on the two secondary gauges were horizontal. Everything you need at a glance, easy to read. This perfect arrangement was implemented one way or another on every Porsche ever made. Without exception. What is important to the engine (RPM, oil/water temps), the task (fuel, lap time, speed) were always in front where they could be seen. In recent year's digital speed has been added as a window in our "tachomoter" dials, top dead center, with the analog speedo still where it always has been.

On our Teslas' screens, we need the MOST IMPORTANT data horizontally laid out... (1) Speed Top Dead Center, (2) top right: Battery State (Battery SOC in miles and percent, temp as degrees and as percent of optimal),(3) top left: cruse control speed setting, cruise on/off indicator, and and speed limit indications, (4) far left lane hold/FSD engagement indicator. We don't need five gauges, or "window" into our cars, just four although a fifth tile could signal outside temperature.

This "cluster " could/should be one-quarter of the screen, top left quadrant. 9Then, all the "buttons" and annunciators should be in the quadrant below in some pleasing arrangment. Map, nav and such on the right half of the screen

The Porsche driver's cockpit is masterpiece of design and efficiency. Some how they have take folks may miles on road and track any verhicle visualization. Even Elon Musk could take a page from Dr. Porsche , this auto industry legend. Timeless designs.like this, refined over the years, are hard to beat.

The Porsche driver's cockpit is masterpiece of design and efficiency. Some how they have take folks may miles on road and track any verhicle visualization. Even Elon Musk could take a page from Dr. Porsche , this auto industry legend. Timeless designs.like this, refined over the years, are hard to beat.

the difference is that P hires 'car guys' and tesla, well, not so much. of course the metal and plastic and drivetrain - yeah, those are car guys, but they have NOTHING to do with software, architecture, user interface, even features. those parts of the business are very very separate and there is actually very little cross pollination.

I understand that. I work in the field and in my company, most of us are not 'car guys'. we're hardware/software/systems/embedded (etc) guys. I hear very little 'car talk' at work. operating systems, multicore cpus, security domains - all great stuff, but no 'car talk'. I bet its the opposite at places like porsche (although when they hire software guys, in general, they just have little 'car blood' in them). there are exceptions, but majority of software guys are not gearheads and its going to take time to get the right mix of car guys and non-car guys to put a world class car together.