Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The F-150 Lightning Is not what I expected - Anyone else feel the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The adapter is now available to order in your Ford account.
I’m sure the adapter works fine. Cable lengths are just too short. Been to a couple of V3 chargers and measured. About 3 feet short. You’ll be hearing the complaints soon as folks realize they can only charge by blocking other stalls to get close enough. I suspect Farley was on the end charger to get it to work.

I do still love the truck and haven’t charged away from home for about three years. Tried to warn folks on the Lightning forums about the hazards of standard range rigs. I get that they may have not had the $ to get the extended range battery but the reality of not enough daily range and MUCH lower resale value really hits hard.

I have charged away from home for my Lightning and I guess at Tesla chargers I'll look for end chargers. I suppose new chargers have slightly longer cables?
The v4 cabinets (which there aren't many yet) have longer cables and are placed in the center of the parking spot. The v3s (which are what are open to Fords) are going to be tough.

Advice I am seeing: Try to park on the end. If you can't, look for a spot next to another non-Tesla. At least then you will have 2 non-Teslas taking up 3 spots instead of four.

If Tesla folks (our family included) are smart, they will take center spots or start from the left side (when facing the stalls). If Tesla drivers want to be difficult, they will take every other spot making it difficult for Ford drivers. I am sure there will be a mix of both.

The v4 cabinets (which there aren't many yet) have longer cables and are placed in the center of the parking spot. The v3s (which are what are open to Fords) are going to be tough.

Advice I am seeing: Try to park on the end. If you can't, look for a spot next to another non-Tesla. At least then you will have 2 non-Teslas taking up 3 spots instead of four.

If Tesla folks (our family included) are smart, they will take center spots or start from the left side (when facing the stalls). If Tesla drivers want to be difficult, they will take every other spot making it difficult for Ford drivers. I am sure there will be a mix of both.
Thanks, I've not even purchased an adapter yet and likely won't for a while. We don't really need one for the immediate future.

I've already ordered the free adapter for my Lightning. The charging price for Ford is higher than it is for Tesla, based on the first report I've seen (in the specific location I saw info for, the Tesla price was 0.34, whereas for Ford it was 0.45, both too high in my opinion). It also seems to me at first glance that all V3 and V4 chargers are open to Ford at this time; I wondered if it would only be a subset of the V3 chargers, but I'm not getting that impression from initial reports.

This is all great for Ford Lightning and Mach-E owners, but I do ask all Ford owners to try to be as courteous at possible at V3 stations due to the charge port location and cord length issues. If they have one of those chargers at the edge for pulling in forward instead of backing in, maybe use that one first, as it's a spot you can use without blocking any extra spaces. If it's a busy location and there are CCS options nearby, consider continuing to use CCS if they are working. I continue to hope that in time Tesla will roll out tons of V4 chargers and that will take care of the issue.

One tip, if I'm not mistaken, only V3 and newer chargers can do 250 kW, so if you are looking at Tesla maps of chargers, the ones you can use should be the ones listed as 250 kW or higher. If it says 150 kW or less, it's V2 or earlier.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
There is at least one V3 station near me that is not open to NACS. It tends to be a very busy one so maybe that has something to do with it.
Hm...maybe it is a subset. If that's true, then might have to trust the Ford app to know. Not that I want to rely on that. I think Tesla should update their online maps to indicate this information. I trust them and their software more than anyone else to provide accurate information on what Superchargers are open to other manufacturers.

You can add your other vehicle to the Tesla app to see compatible chargers.

Tap the top right hamburger menu in the Tesla app, Charge your other EV, tap the filter icon on the left, tap the vehicle drop down at the top and add vehicle.

You can also filter for NACS compatible chargers on the main website tesla.com/findus

I have charged away from home for my Lightning and I guess at Tesla chargers I'll look for end chargers. I suppose new chargers have slightly longer cables?

I’ll be using Tesla chargers as a last result. Although Tesla is really on the ball with their new setups:

IMG_0933.jpeg

Reactions: JohnnyEV and Cal1
Just charge your vehicle when you need to charge it. Don't over think it, I had my model 3P for 3 years (traded for lightning) and still have the Model Y. It's not like everyone at the superchargers were saints before it was opened up. I've seen line cutters, people who walked off into the movie theater during busy times, etc. It will be fine people will manage like they do now.