Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The F-150 Lightning Is not what I expected - Anyone else feel the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also made the switch on Jan 20th. 2021 model 3 performance to 2023 Lightning Lariat. This is my take after 3 weeks. I prefer my Wife's Y to my 3 and part of the reason I made the switch is I'm getting older and the 3P was to low. It was like sitting on the floor and with no grab handles (Tesla needs to fix this) I dropped back into the seat every time I got in.
  • Interior is better in the F150 then again the Lariat is a higher trim level.
  • Spare Tire is a plus
  • Never knew how much I missed having a gauge cluster until I got it back.
  • Same thing with all the dedicated buttons vs everything on the touchscreen.
  • Tesla Navigation and Trip planning is better than Ford's native solution.
  • It's nice to have Android Auto which opens up a lot more app choices including Youtube Music.
  • Tesla UI is better
  • Tesla OTA Updates are miles ahead
  • Blue Cruise is really good ( I still don't 100% trust any hands free driving solution)
  • Tesla's charge network is it's best advantage, however that is changing. (Free adapter is a nice touch from Ford and the integrated payment solution with Tesla which works with a few other charge partners as well will be good.)
  • Tesla's sound system is better, then again where are you going to put Sub's in a truck and keep the rear under seat storage? Would need to compare to the CT.
  • Grab handles!
Ease of entry/exit was a concern for me as well that I didn't mention. I'm still young and limber enough that it's no problem, but the parents of my wife and I however find it not so easy to get in and out of Tesla cars. Though I was actually concerned that the F-150 might to too high, causing a problem in the opposite direction. However, it seems to be better, and the grab handles help.

Another potential issue with the F-150 8 speaker B&O sound system is that any amount of bass vibrates the rear seat which rear seat passengers could find obnoxious. I'm actually not sure what speaker or speakers cause the vibration. I guess there is maybe a subwoofer somewhere? I have the under seat storage in the rear. But does it go all the way across? I can't remember. I'd go look but my wife is out with the truck right now. Lets see..there are 8 speakers..2 on the A-pillars, 1 in each of 4 doors, that leaves 2 remaining and I'm not sure where they are.

Ease of entry/exit was a concern for me as well that I didn't mention. I'm still young and limber enough that it's no problem, but the parents of my wife and I however find it not so easy to get in and out of Tesla cars. Though I was actually concerned that the F-150 might to too high, causing a problem in the opposite direction. However, it seems to be better, and the grab handles help.

Another potential issue with the F-150 8 speaker B&O sound system is that any amount of bass vibrates the rear seat which rear seat passengers could find obnoxious. I'm actually not sure what speaker or speakers cause the vibration. I guess there is maybe a subwoofer somewhere? I have the under seat storage in the rear. But does it go all the way across? I can't remember. I'd go look but my wife is out with the truck right now. Lets see..there are 8 speakers..2 on the A-pillars, 1 in each of 4 doors, that leaves 2 remaining and I'm not sure where they are.

You have a center speaker and the Subwoofer.

We have a 23 MYLR (purchased Dec' 22) and a 22 Lightning Lariat ( Jun' 23). After buying the MYLR, I was sold on EVs and was on the hunt for a deal on a Lightning. We absolutely love both, but there is a big difference in comfort. The Lightning has a super soft ride which is exactly what we want. The Tesla has better tech, but the Lightning "feels" very familiar as I have always had trucks. Both are stupid fast. Road trips for a family of four are far more comfortable in the Lightning but you are rolling the dice from a charge network standpoint... but that should change soon.

Again... Love the MYLR. Working on replacing it with a MX. ;-0)

Reactions: T3SLAROD and KJD
We have a 23 MYLR (purchased Dec' 22) and a 22 Lightning Lariat ( Jun' 23). After buying the MYLR, I was sold on EVs and was on the hunt for a deal on a Lightning. We absolutely love both, but there is a big difference in comfort. The Lightning has a super soft ride which is exactly what we want. The Tesla has better tech, but the Lightning "feels" very familiar as I have always had trucks. Both are stupid fast. Road trips for a family of four are far more comfortable in the Lightning but you are rolling the dice from a charge network standpoint... but that should change soon.

Again... Love the MYLR. Working on replacing it with a MX. ;-0)
Just waiting for the adapter to allow supercharger access and then I will be a Lightning buyer.

I'm just hoping that when Ford and other companies start making cars / trucks with NACS sockets in them, those sockets are in the right place with respect to where Tesla already puts them. Without that, there's gonna be some hot tempers at Tesla Supercharger locations as those other brands roll in and hog up two spaces for every non-Tesla vehicle that shows up. :p

Reactions: SO16
I'm just hoping that when Ford and other companies start making cars / trucks with NACS sockets in them, those sockets are in the right place with respect to where Tesla already puts them. Without that, there's gonna be some hot tempers at Tesla Supercharger locations as those other brands roll in and hog up two spaces for every non-Tesla vehicle that shows up. :p
I 100% agree with you on this one. Tesla folks feel like the Tesla chargers are "their" chargers and other manufacturers' cars should defer. I know I felt that way when I only had a Tesla. I was 100% annoyed when they announced the plan to open up the network. Then I bought a Ford and went on a road trip. :) Do I "want" to use Tesla chargers? No. I want all the chargers to be as reliable and plentiful, but when I am at 8% SOC and I don't have a choice, I will take two spots.

That being said... there are a couple things that could help. Leave the chargers on the end open for non-Tesla vehicles so if they (we) take up two spots, one of them isn't a charging spot... and... Leave the pull-through spots open because it gives a little more flexibility for the cable to reach.

Putting the charge port in the passenger rear should happen, but there are a lot of cars already on the road that will continue to be a problem.

Hopefully Tesla puts out a massive effort to upgrade all the V3 pedestals to the V4 style with longer cables in the next couple years even if the actual cabinets are still V3.

Otherwise taking up multiple spots could create lots of problems as all the other companies gain access.

Another benefit would be non-Tesla drivers would be easily able to identify which superchargers are compatible since the new cabinets look completely different than V2 which won’t work with other cars.

The solution is for Tesla to immediately discontinue V3 superchargers and only build and install V4 superchargers, with the stations installed centered at front of the parking space. This solves the problem completely, without manufacturers having to change their charge port locations.

However, there will likely be a less than ideal transition period. Tesla should open up V3 superchargers to other brands initially for there to be enough of a network to matter, but once a large number of V4 superchargers are rolled out, Tesla could change policy so that other brands can only charge on the V4 superchargers. I think this would be reasonable. Tesla just needs to make a good faith effort to install V4 along all major highway routes.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Reactions: E90alex
The F-150 Lightning is quite practical. However, don't be fooled by their nice large Tesla-inspired screen - after living with the Lightning for a while, I can assure you that they're nowhere near Tesla when it comes to user interface! For navigation, they are still using maps designed for tiny screens. The result is very little detail on the big screen - when you zoom out in the map even a little, almost all the roads disappear - this is the behavior you'd want in a little 4 inch GPS screen, but NOT on a 17 inch display. Tesla using a variant of google maps gives you SO much more information especially when navigating unfamiliar areas. Also Tesla's backup camera is so much higher resolution compared to Ford's. And Ford's energy meter fails badly as it cannot count regen energy - when driving in hilly terrain with significant downhills, or lots of stop-and-go, when you're recovering a lot in regen, the truck doesn't know how to make sense of the negative energy and you get inaccurate trip energy data as a result. The truck itself is awesome if you need it for truck things, such as hauling large and heavy loads. It will pull a heavy trailer with ease. But the user experience is only average, in other words, bad. This is just my opinion after spending several weeks with the truck.

The F-150 Lightning is quite practical. However, don't be fooled by their nice large Tesla-inspired screen - after living with the Lightning for a while, I can assure you that they're nowhere near Tesla when it comes to user interface! For navigation, they are still using maps designed for tiny screens. The result is very little detail on the big screen - when you zoom out in the map even a little, almost all the roads disappear - this is the behavior you'd want in a little 4 inch GPS screen, but NOT on a 17 inch display. Tesla using a variant of google maps gives you SO much more information especially when navigating unfamiliar areas. Also Tesla's backup camera is so much higher resolution compared to Ford's. And Ford's energy meter fails badly as it cannot count regen energy - when driving in hilly terrain with significant downhills, or lots of stop-and-go, when you're recovering a lot in regen, the truck doesn't know how to make sense of the negative energy and you get inaccurate trip energy data as a result. The truck itself is awesome if you need it for truck things, such as hauling large and heavy loads. It will pull a heavy trailer with ease. But the user experience is only average, in other words, bad. This is just my opinion after spending several weeks with the truck.
The F series trucks are king of wowing on initial look but after you live with it for a while the issues become clear. The interior is a sea of cheap plastic, the screens are cheap with poor resolution, plus the issues you pointed out compared to Tesla. All that said, if you need an actual truck it’s very hard to go against Ford.

Reactions: buckets0fun

Uhhhh, that’s why it has Apple Carplay.

Teslas backup camera in the CT is useless once it gets dirty, unlike Fords.

Your complaints are “user experience” in the form of using the iPad screen. The Lightning doesn’t need that screen to function, that’s the beauty of it. Meanwhile the CT is toast if that screen goes out.

Reactions: JohnnyEV