Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The F-150 Lightning Is not what I expected - Anyone else feel the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"But surely their hyde's are not nearly as rare as the fine suede of the magnificent beasts of the Alcantara highlands that bear their namesake, now hunted nearly to extinction by man's insatiable desire for our dashboards and headliners to feel like a well-worn pool table...."

Well said!

I don't know hoe Alcantara wears on a steering wheel or seat, As good as leather?

Last edited:
Greetings all! I stopped by a dealer lot and took at look at a 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat with extended range battery and I was shocked by the quality of the interior (or lack thereof). The sticker on the truck was $90,000 and the interior was full of plastic and fake wood trim. My Tesla Model Y interior felt noticably more upscale.

The lariat in particular as well as the pro models are in a completely different market now due to the price increases. While the Lariat extended range only saw a price increase of $8,500 the effective increase was $16,000 due to losing the Federal EV tax credit with a starting MSRP of 85k and change.

The F-150 Lightning are all special order trucks and they are starting to pile up on dealer lots as customers cancel their orders. The truck looks good on YouTube videos but seeing it in person was disappointing especially for the price. The wife says it looks like a 50k truck.

For the Pro and guy who is buying a 40k truck is not going to make the jump to a 60k truck. For the lariat, if I am going to spend close to 100k on the truck why would I not go a few thousand more and get a platinum? Both Pro and Lariat were value propositions and even though price increases were different they were mostly the same and the net effect is everyone who ordered one pre increase is very likely to cancel.

Ford marketed this is a practical truck. It would appear customers aren't seeing the practicality. What is Ford thinking?

You sound like the typical Tesla-hater online "I sat in a Model Y today and the interior was so cheap and I hated the iPad screen. Where's my dashboard!!!?"

Seriously.. you should drive a Lightning. It's butter smooth like a couch on wheels. The Rivian R1T is like a harsh riding Model Y. The ride quality is poor. I test drove the R1S and it's about the same. I want a R1S even with the poor ride quality because everything is practical.

I don't want a Lightning and think they are overpriced but I've met my share of owners at EV meet and they love them. EV trucks are very much a niche market and probably won't be mainstream until they have 300-400 miles of range while towing.

You sound like the typical Tesla-hater online "I sat in a Model Y today and the interior was so cheap and I hated the iPad screen. Where's my dashboard!!!?"

Seriously.. you should drive a Lightning. It's butter smooth like a couch on wheels. The Rivian R1T is like a harsh riding Model Y. The ride quality is poor. I test drove the R1S and it's about the same. I want a R1S even with the poor ride quality because everything is practical.

I don't want a Lightning and think they are overpriced but I've met my share of owners at EV meet and they love them. EV trucks are very much a niche market and probably won't be mainstream until they have 300-400 miles of range while towing.
A 300-400 mile range while towing? My head spins with the engineering challenge. I doubt that can be practically done with a BEV. My first thought is a fuel cell range extender with some sort of lithium battery pack. But you still must carry the hydrogen and have opportunities to refuel. Seems like something that would take twenty years to develop.

Reactions: E90alex and Genie
A 300-400 mile range while towing? My head spins with the engineering challenge. I doubt that can be practically done with a BEV. My first thought is a fuel cell range extender with some sort of lithium battery pack. But you still must carry the hydrogen and have opportunities to refuel. Seems like something that would take twenty years to develop.
Yeah that would require like a 700-800 mi range when not towing. EVs are great for most use cases but battery technology is just simply not there yet for long distance towing. If someone needs to tow a lot then they still need to stick with ICE at the moment.

But a very big portion of truck owners treat them as daily drivers and family vehicles with the occasional weekend Home Depot project run or short distance towing to the landfill or local boat launch. For these use cases EV trucks are fine.

"But surely their hyde's are not nearly as rare as the fine suede of the magnificent beasts of the Alcantara highlands that bear their namesake, now hunted nearly to extinction by man's insatiable desire for our dashboards and headliners to feel like a well-worn pool table...."

Well said!

I don't know hoe Alcantara wears on a steering wheel or seat, As good as leather?
Not anywhere close to leather. Alcantara is synthetic and the "fuzz" will become matted very quickly. They have them on race cars for better grip but they also always wear gloves. Alcantara should never be used for any high-touch areas.

Reactions: Cal1

It is a very smooth ride for a truck. Nearing 40k miles and so far the only regret is the small battery I bought (I'm poor).

Yup. The ride is nice. Smooth and comfortable (and"floaty" as others have pointed out - but you're not going to go racing in a Lightning). Just make sure you are holding on tight if you stomp it. Has a LOT of torque-steer. Never experienced that in any Tesla and, although I have yet to drive one, I am certain it is non-existent on the CT thanks to drive-by-wire on top of Tesla's superior drive train. Also, gear backlash is very noticeable in the LIghtning - something I forgot existed since getting my first EV in 2011. This may actually be a nostalgic "feature" for many - gives it a bit of ICE truck feel.

Yup. The ride is nice. Smooth and comfortable (and"floaty" as others have pointed out - but you're not going to go racing in a Lightning). Just make sure you are holding on tight if you stomp it. Has a LOT of torque-steer. Never experienced that in any Tesla and, although I have yet to drive one, I am certain it is non-existent on the CT thanks to drive-by-wire on top of Tesla's superior drive train. Also, gear backlash is very noticeable in the LIghtning - something I forgot existed since getting my first EV in 2011. This may actually be a nostalgic "feature" for many - gives it a bit of ICE truck feel.
What’s gear backlash?

What’s gear backlash?
Just a little play in the gears which feels like a soft "klunk" when switching from acceleration to regen and again when you go back into accel. Subdued on the LIghtning compared to prior trucks I've owned but definitely there. It's really not a big deal - it is a truck after-all - but something different I noticed almost immediately.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Yeah that would require like a 700-800 mi range when not towing. EVs are great for most use cases but battery technology is just simply not there yet for long distance towing. If someone needs to tow a lot then they still need to stick with ICE at the moment.

But a very big portion of truck owners treat them as daily drivers and family vehicles with the occasional weekend Home Depot project run or short distance towing to the landfill or local boat launch. For these use cases EV trucks are fine.
I agree on all points but I do think it's worth considering how to make EV trucks work for towing if batteries do not improve further. There is no guarantee we will be able to make them 2x to 3x better down the road, but the desire to engage in risk management in response to carbon emissions risks will remain. I do think there is some amount of carbon emissions that is sustainable while sufficiently mitigating the risks, so it's possible there will be room in that carbon budget to indefinitely use gas for towing, but it's not the first place I would want to spend that budget.

I drive both and can tell you the Lightning interior is much more upscale than the Model 3. Not even close smh…..
I just switched from 2020 Model 3 Performance to 2023 Lightning Lariat. I'm maybe not a good judge of interior quality, but the Lightning interior seems pretty nice, and has some features the 2020 3 did not, like a cooled seats, a heated steering wheel, and the opening moon roof with blind. I don't care that much about soft touch outside of arm rests and seats. Never understood why some folks want soft touch on things like the dashboard; I don't actively poke my dash repeatedly while driving. It looks nice. I have no complaints. The only thing that feels not quite as good to me is I think the BO 8 speaker sound system in the Lightning Lariat is not quite as good as what the Model 3 had. I like having an instrument cluster screen again in addition to the center screen. I liked the sportiness of the Model 3 overall, but I do think the Lightning feels more luxurious (keeping in mind the model year and variants I'm comparing here).

Reason for switch: We wanted a truck again; previously, we kept having to borrow other people's trucks, and the trucks we were borrowing were getting pretty long in the tooth (windows don't roll down right, A/C doesn't work, patting the old seats creates giant dust clouds, key cylinder partially broken, door locks don't all work, etc.)

Last edited:
I just switched from 2020 Model 3 Performance to 2023 Lightning Lariat. I'm maybe not a good judge of interior quality, but the Lightning interior seems pretty nice, and has some features the 2020 3 did not, like a cooled seats, a heated steering wheel, and the opening moon roof with blind. I don't care that much about soft touch outside of arm rests and seats. Never understood why some folks want soft touch on things like the dashboard; I don't actively poke my dash repeatedly while driving. It looks nice. I have no complaints. The only thing that feels not quite as good to me is I think the BO 8 speaker sound system in the Lightning Lariat is not quite as good as what the Model 3 had. I like having an instrument cluster screen again in addition to the center screen. I liked the sportiness of the Model 3 overall, but I do think the Lightning feels more luxurious (keeping in mind the model year and variants I'm comparing here).

Reason for switch: We wanted a truck again; previously, we kept having to borrow other people's trucks, and the trucks we were borrowing were getting pretty long in the tooth (windows don't roll down right, A/C doesn't work, patting the old seats creates giant dust clouds, key cylinder partially broken, door locks don't all work, etc.)

No argument against the Tesla sound system. I don’t think any OEM can touch it, maybe Acura ELS but I don’t think so. Even some custom ones might have trouble.

Is Tesla loosing it's technology edge? Tesla vehicle technology vs. the Legacy Automakers. If you forget about the ICE Engine and just look at the technology in the vehicles it seems that Tesla is falling behind.
Tesla didn’t become a 600b company by chance. However, I think it’s very clear that market valuation is weighing heavily on their vehicle design. Like every public company at this phase they need to show a growing profitable business that warrants the valuation. They are attempting to achieve that by selling cars with less features and hoping customers don’t care.

I also made the switch on Jan 20th. 2021 model 3 performance to 2023 Lightning Lariat. This is my take after 3 weeks. I prefer my Wife's Y to my 3 and part of the reason I made the switch is I'm getting older and the 3P was to low. It was like sitting on the floor and with no grab handles (Tesla needs to fix this) I dropped back into the seat every time I got in.
  • Interior is better in the F150 then again the Lariat is a higher trim level.
  • Spare Tire is a plus
  • Never knew how much I missed having a gauge cluster until I got it back.
  • Same thing with all the dedicated buttons vs everything on the touchscreen.
  • Tesla Navigation and Trip planning is better than Ford's native solution.
  • It's nice to have Android Auto which opens up a lot more app choices including Youtube Music.
  • Tesla UI is better
  • Tesla OTA Updates are miles ahead
  • Blue Cruise is really good ( I still don't 100% trust any hands free driving solution)
  • Tesla's charge network is it's best advantage, however that is changing. (Free adapter is a nice touch from Ford and the integrated payment solution with Tesla which works with a few other charge partners as well will be good.)
  • Tesla's sound system is better, then again where are you going to put Sub's in a truck and keep the rear under seat storage? Would need to compare to the CT.
  • Grab handles!