Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else getting 'Key No Longer Inside' and the occasional whacked door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like nearly every time I get in the X, I get a message on the console underneath the car saying 'Key No Longer Inside, Car Will Not Restart'. However, it drives just fine.

This happens with both of my keys, so it doesn't seem to be a key problem.

Also, once or twice I've had the car open it's door and slam into a nearby wall as if it didn't see it at all. Most other times it pauses a few inches away just fine. Originally I thought it was the auto-open door feature being buggy, but I turned that off and it has done it from the inside simply by pulling the inside door handle.

Anyone else have these problems?

I had the key issue, but a firmware update seems to have fixed it. We have two problems with our front doors: it inconsistently senses objects, which results in the door hitting other cars on occasion. We also have a problem with the doors not opening all the way, as if it thinks there is something there but there isn't.

It's my understanding that the front doors have no sensors at all. They utilize the FWD sensors so if those are up or you are parked at an angle to where the rear doors don't sense another car, post, tree, ect by your side, then a pull of the front door handle will have it swing right into the object.

I think the lack of front door sensors, since they open via a motorized component is one of my least favorite parts of the vehicle.
I love the front doors, but if they can sometimes swing into objects because of the lack of sensors they should have never been motorized to begin with.

I had the same message on my display today stating that it would not restart.
I stepped out and locked the door and stepped back in and it was gone. I think it's more of a bug than a fob battery issue.

If the fob battery is indeed low (as everyone on the forums always wants to blame) the car will give you a warning message on the display and remind you to change your batteries as indicated in the manual.

Not a battery issue for me. Changed them and they are fresh. I have found that if you out the fob in the cup holder (as I read somewhere else on the forums so it's close to the receiver) and then open and shut the door, it will usually start up. No nee to actually exit the vehicle. I was also told new fobs use Bluetooth vs rf on model s (not sure if true) and sometimes need more time to be recognized. Mi would say at least 50% of the time I get the key not recognized and have to cycle the doors and wait 10-20 seconds before pushing the break will turn it on.

i have this issue as well. picked up car saturday so i have the latest software. sunday it happened to me on every trip i took. the only way i could get the error message to go away was walk away from the car, lock the doors, and then get it again. the "Car Will Not Restart" part of the message is pretty alarming (and upsetting 24hrs after pickup)

I had this exact issue yesterday and I'm running the latest firmware (.45). Got the key fob error message then when we got home both front doors went psycho opening and closing at maximum force ignoring all sensor data. Even standing right in front of the door it would open full force. It would even continue to try to open further when doors were maximally opened already resulting in flapping movement. The opening force was significant enough to cause bodily harm to a child and seemed to wobble the door attachments. Rebooting didn't help but taking the car out for a quick drive seemed to do the trick.

i have this issue as well. picked up car saturday so i have the latest software. sunday it happened to me on every trip i took. the only way i could get the error message to go away was walk away from the car, lock the doors, and then get it again. the "Car Will Not Restart" part of the message is pretty alarming (and upsetting 24hrs after pickup)
I suspect picking up the car does *not* mean the SW is the latest version. My MS center screen would not light up (no control over things like the sun roof) the day after I picked it up. It still drove, and after Tesla told me how to force a reboot, I haven't had that problem again in 7 months.

I get the key fob issue when the key and my phone are too close to each other. Since the key (apparently) uses bluetooth, the car can't recognize the signal from the key and only recognizes the signal from the phone. Try moving the key farther away from your phone.