Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else not getting 10.9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all. Here we go again. It seems like everyone is getting 10.9 at this point and my car shows no sign of any update. It’s odd because for all the previous updates it would be one of the first cars to get it once it went public. Really need it. 10.8.1 is driving terribly around Wilmington NC. The mapping is just terrible. FSD gets into turning lanes to pass people when the lane ends in 100 ft, crosses double yellow lines when there is opposing traffic ect. Just looking for confirmation that it’s not just me. Thanks!

Nobody knows. This is the first time in the last few months I can recall that Elon has been silent on the FSD rollout especially when there are delays. Even the chosen few early FSD beta testers have been uncharacteristically quiet. Only post I've seen is from @Whole Mars who simply said it was being worked on and that was several days ago. Definitely alot going on in the Tesla FSD beta group.
He’s posted multiple videos a day of amazing drives

Upvote 0
No hands on the steering wheel….

Since applying a bit of torque constantly on the wheel doesn't actually do anything wrt to driver attentiveness, while looking at the environment does, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's paying attention and ready to grab the wheel if the car does something crazy.

What I dislike about his videos is that he tends to post perfect drives, which gives a skewed perception that FSD is more ready than it is. Too many of us who are also using the software knows that FSD f*cks up plenty.

We're talking about Whole Mars Catalog, for reference, since the reply chain is so fragmented.

• Informative
Reactions: ContrarianDC
Upvote 0
No hands on the steering wheel….
are you honestly telling me your hands are always on the wheel? I call bull****. mine personally never are unless it nags, i'm coming up on a turn where I might need to take over, or ill put my hand on the bottom when my car changes lanes to be safe. give me a break. done it that way with every car that has lane assist. there's nothing wrong with how he Is doing it. same with black Tesla. he even says "My hands are out of the camera view but close to the wheel." Mars catalog does a great job. we all know not every drive is perfect, but he shows the successes. and they are great to see. he does nothing wrong in my opinion.

Please lets not pretend we are all a perfect example. also, when FSD turns, there's no way in hell you can keep your hand on the wheel fully when it spins fast. ESPECIALLY with a yoke lol. even parking assist, the wheel moves to fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since applying a bit of torque constantly on the wheel doesn't actually do anything wrt to driver attentiveness, while looking at the environment does, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's paying attention and ready to grab the wheel if the car does something crazy.

You can do whatever you like, but Tesla is very explicit about what you are supposed to do while using beta.

Upvote 0
I assume FSD is going to do something dumb at any moment. I always have at least one hand on the wheel at any time and the system still nags me constantly.
I generally have 1 hand on the wheel at all times but rarely get nagged. It depends how you hold the wheel. Just let the weight of your arm provide enough downward tourque. When I do get nagged it's always because I stopped doing this. After awhile it becomes second nature.

Upvote 0
I'm still on 10.8.1, and I have to have my hands on my steering wheel at all times because my car constantly tries to do stupid stuff. I don't know how so many people are having all these 0 disengagement drives! I have a 2022 Model 3 Performance and have recalibrated my cameras. Between my car running red lights, trying to dodge shadows thinking they're solid objects, pulling out in front of fast-moving traffic, cutting corners and almost curbing wheels, swinging out too wide to take turns, etc., I don't trust it at all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bpseattle
Upvote 0
You can do whatever you like, but Tesla is very explicit about what you are supposed to do while using beta.

I personally always have 2 hands on the wheel when testing FSD beta. I would do that even if Tesla didn't recommend it :)

I would much rather prefer contact sensing for "hands on wheel" than constant slight torque. As such, even with both hands on the wheel, I still get the occasional nag to apply torque.

Upvote 0
I would much rather prefer contact sensing for "hands on wheel" than constant slight torque. As such, even with both hands on the wheel, I still get the occasional nag to apply torque.
I can only assume that Tesla went with torque-sensing because it's cheaper than contact-sensing, because it's totally counter-intuitive. I've had multiple times of FSD/AP disengaging because I held the wheel a tad more firmly during a turn, and the disengagements were whippy. With the current design, having your hands at 10 and 2 could just cancel out the torque and you end up with nagging anyways. That's why I typically just touch when prompted, unless I'm in a conversation when I don't want to interrupt my train of thought with blue flashes every 20 sec.

Reactions: nvx1977
Upvote 0
Hey y’all. Here we go again. It seems like everyone is getting 10.9 at this point and my car shows no sign of any update. It’s odd because for all the previous updates it would be one of the first cars to get it once it went public. Really need it. 10.8.1 is driving terribly around Wilmington NC. The mapping is just terrible. FSD gets into turning lanes to pass people when the lane ends in 100 ft, crosses double yellow lines when there is opposing traffic ect. Just looking for confirmation that it’s not just me. Thanks!
The glass-half-full look of this experience could be that when v11 rolls around, you'll be one of the first ones to get it. Haha. Based on what a lot of people are saying, who gets a release early is like rolling a dice. :cool:

Upvote 0
1643143228789.png

A new player has joined.

Maybe we'll get a FSD build based on 2022.4.x now?

Upvote 0
I can only assume that Tesla went with torque-sensing because it's cheaper than contact-sensing, because it's totally counter-intuitive. I've had multiple times of FSD/AP disengaging because I held the wheel a tad more firmly during a turn, and the disengagements were whippy. With the current design, having your hands at 10 and 2 could just cancel out the torque and you end up with nagging anyways. That's why I typically just touch when prompted, unless I'm in a conversation when I don't want to interrupt my train of thought with blue flashes every 20 sec.
It isn’t really cheaper. You just would need to metallic contact points in either side of the wheel separated by left abs right side then just measure capacitance. Air has zero capacitance relative to the amount your body has.

Problem of course js making sure your skin is touching the metallic contact point.

Reactions: mangrove79
Upvote 0
It isn’t really cheaper. You just would need to metallic contact points in either side of the wheel separated by left abs right side then just measure capacitance. Air has zero capacitance relative to the amount your body has.

Problem of course js making sure your skin is touching the metallic contact point.
Which would completely screw people driving with gloves, LOL. Winter up north is pretty brutal and I would be driving with gloves on until the car is completely warm. Of course, you can pre-condition, blah blah, but still. I also see lots of Uber/Lyft drivers drive with gloves. Certainly not enough MY Uber/Lyft around, but just saying. :p

Upvote 0