Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else think the new Hold mode is TOO smooth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like the new one-pedal-driving mode. I like it a lot. But I've been having trouble getting used to it. In the second or so before the car comes to its incredibly smooth stop, I often have a moment of lightheadedness. I never had this when stopping with the brake pedal, and I think it has something to do with viscerally learning that the car will stop with my foot off of the accelerator, but I was wondering if anyone else was having that momentary discomfort when stopping?

I never have this feeling with TACC stopping the car, oddly. If feels strangely like the disconnected feeling I would sometimes get when playing some VR games.

Is this just me?

Sorry to hear that you're getting a lightheaded sensation. That stinks!

Just drove to work with it for the first time. (101-North) Still getting used to it too. That 'imperceptible' moment of stop is what I was taught to shoot for when originally learning to drive, so I'm really loving the new 'one pedal' in v36.2.1 so far.

Honestly I love it. No weird feelings, for some reason the new stopping mode just seems natural to me. In fact I think that’s what is most weird, how natural it feels, like it’s doing what I would do without any effort on my part. Reverse is interesting too, but overall I love the update. Haven’t checked the Performance increase to see if it’s noticeable with Dragy, but the videos seem to show a noticeable difference! Nice work Tesla.

I’m still getting used to it. Here are my initial observations:

1) Backing out of the garage is a little awkward in hold mode. I used to give it a little bit of power and then let it coast in reverse so I could keep an eye on the wall to make sure I don’t clip my side mirror. Now I have to keep my foot on the accelerator the whole time which makes me a little nervous.

2) Driving up to a red light takes some getting used to. I used to ease in to the light at 2-3 mph and then tap the brakes. Now I need to drive right up to the car in front of me and then take my foot of the pedal. I tend to be reluctant to get too close so I always end up a couple of feet further behind than I intended to.

3) Driving up a hill and then stopping at a red light is very nice. No rolling backward any more.

4) Speed bumps are a blast. I drive as fast as I can right up to the bump and then quickly remove my foot from the pedal just in time for the car to slowly roll over the bump. I can drive so fast in between the bumps that they really don’t even slow me down any more. It scares the crap out of pedestrians in the parking lot though. But it’s fun to see their reaction when the car instantly stops right at the bump. Everyone thinks I’m going to fly over the bump at full speed and make a fool of myself. It’s really fun to watch.

I’m going to give it another week to get used to it and then decide which one I like better. I never used creep, so I’ll either stay on hold or go back to the normal mode.

Im noticing that at low speeds yes there is absolutely more resistance <50 km/hr. However, I am noticing there is far less regen deceleration at higher speeds, like 80+km/hr. I am often ripping it around in this thing, and I have to use the brakes to get me to slow down enough so that I can one pedal slow down to the light. It seems like I am doing this often where Im going too fast, and then that combine with less regen than there used to be is messing with me

Anybody notice the model 3 riding a bit heavier in hold mode, like there is a bit more friction on the wheels while accelerating. Creep or roll modes seem to ride more quietly and friction free. Is it my imagination?
P.S. I do like the hold mode.

Yes I had to switch back to roll mode, it's like my "lightweight" agile car turned into a boat or something.

it's like my "lightweight" agile car turned into a boat or something.
I find this perspective fascinating, because it makes no sense to me. Hold by design and description has more aggressive regen breaking, so if you remove your foot from the accelerator completely, it will slow down faster. That's the point :) Once you get used to feathering the pressure on the Go-Lever, it's quite intuitive (at least for me).

Reactions: Kleenerth3
It's not just the Regen though
I find this perspective fascinating, because it makes no sense to me. Hold by design and description has more aggressive regen breaking, so if you remove your foot from the accelerator completely, it will slow down faster. That's the point :) Once you get used to feathering the pressure on the Go-Lever, it's quite intuitive (at least for me).

Yeah doesn't make sense to me either, but even when on the accelerator slightly it just feels heavier.

And if I'm starting to feather off of the accelerator it just feels strange. Someone else mentioned it another post as well so there are at least 3 of us crazy people around here.

I haven't tried it with this release, I'll give it another go.