Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Encountered Tesla Envy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not yet an owner but most likley going to purchase a Model 3 in the coming months. I've talked to a few friends and co-workers about buying one and was shocked to be honest by their responses. Instead of "congrats" or "why are you going electric" I was met with statements like "X must be paying you well to afford one of those" or "you must be way overpaid to be able to buy one of those things" or "your an elitist" for wanting a Tesla. This is of course in addition to the usual things such as they are bad for the environment, what will you do if there's no power etc you get the idea. Vastly more negativity than anything positive. I'm sure I'm not the first to be met with this?

I've, unfortunately seen videos of course of people damaging peoples Tesla's and heard that some people are outright hostile to Tesla owners. Has anyone any idea why this is? I'm assuming it's stupid people, assumptions about Tesla vehicles being expensive or a status symbol and old fashioned "I don't understand it.. therefore hate it".

I'm usually excited when I see an electric car on the road whether it's a Tesla, Spark, Leaf, Volt/Bolt or even a Fiat. I, for a multitude of reasons think electric is the future of automobiles. That's not to say we shouldn't have and enjoy regular cars just that'd it'd be nice to burn less gas and more locally produced electric.

"If I can afford it, you can afford it." (New or used).

"Elitest? Car sales are down at GM, Ford and FCA. Telsa builds to order and they're selling everything they make. That's where the demand is. Electric will take over. So, when I get the Tesla, would you like to go for a ride?"

• Funny
Reactions: George75
Yes, there is a lot of ignorance out there. Not one person who knows what a Tesla is understands there is no engine or exhaust pipe. It is amazing. People are insanely jealous today I find and their insecurity can't hide it like generations past.
Once you get it, these same folks all want to see it, sit in it, then ride in it, probably to tell their Facebook friends what they are doing now. They will all love it and be amazed. If they have regular contact, in about a year they will ask you how they can afford one and then report it will be their next car when they discover the M3 is only 35k which is less than their BMW.

Your friends and co-workers don't sound very bright.
To be fair I'm neck deep in climate denial land, not making a political statement just a fact of the region. Think that's part of it, to be honest a big part is people think electric car and they think Prius. Most people here are driving large pickup trucks and SUV's. I've never seen the attraction. I've always like torque and mid/compact vehicles.

When asked, just tell the truth:

"I wanted to buy cutting-edge all-American technology"

...and then see which part of that they complain about.

Some people cannot handle others "stepping out of line" and expressing a difference.

It's not about the car, it's all about keeping relatives\neighbours\co-workers in-line.

Which is just so tediously short-sighted and counter-productive.

To be fair I'm neck deep in climate denial land, not making a political statement just a fact of the region. Think that's part of it, to be honest a big part is people think electric car and they think Prius. Most people here are driving large pickup trucks and SUV's. I've never seen the attraction. I've always like torque and mid/compact vehicles.

It has nothing to do with climate denial.
A Ford F-150 Lariat, King Ranch, Raptor, Platinum, and Limited models are all over $40,000. The Limited is $67,000 BEFORE I configure it. I maxed it out at $76,000. The Model 3 decked out is only $66,000.

I never have to go fil my car up. I fill it at home. I never have to change the oil.

Screw the climate crap, an ICE is just so much more painful to take care of.

Oh, and a round-trip from ATL to Orlando, $45 worth of energy.

I've talked to a few friends and co-workers about buying one and was shocked to be honest by their responses. Instead of "congrats" or "why are you going electric" I was met with statements like "X must be paying you well to afford one of those" or "you must be way overpaid to be able to buy one of those things" or "your an elitist" for wanting a Tesla.

Do they even know what is the price? It seems there are a lot of people who think Teslas start at $100,000 and go up from there. Some also still think there's a six-month or longer waiting list to get one. A Model 3 is not a super-expensive car. Yeah, you can option it up a bit, but still… It's no Bentley Flying Spur.

This is of course in addition to the usual things such as they are bad for the environment, what will you do if there's no power etc you get the idea. Vastly more negativity than anything positive. I'm sure I'm not the first to be met with this?

uhh… Very little. I've had my car for a few years, and there have been a handful of negative reactions (I could literally count on the fingers of one hand), but those are massively, massively outweighed by positive reactions from my neighbors as well as from random encounters when traveling.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
In direct answer to the original question: Yes, indeed I have seen Tesla envy. I have it. Despite being on my second owned Tesla in the US and having numerous rental Teslae around the world, I still don't have one in Brazil, where i live. I am very envious of the handful of people who have grey market Tesla cars here, although I have been on the Model 3 waiting list since the day Tesla opened Brazil to reservations on April 1, 2016. It is beginning to seem as though the reservation was an April Fool's joke, especially as deliveries have begun in Slovenia, Czechia and Slovakia, not to mention a plethora of other countries.

I am Green with envy, but that is my surname anyway. :eek::confused::(

In direct answer to the original question: Yes, indeed I have seen Tesla envy. I have it. Despite being on my second owned Tesla in the US and having numerous rental Teslae around the world, I still don't have one in Brazil, where i live. I am very envious of the handful of people who have grey market Tesla cars here, although I have been on the Model 3 waiting list since the day Tesla opened Brazil to reservations on April 1, 2016. It is beginning to seem as though the reservation was an April Fool's joke, especially as deliveries have begun in Slovenia, Czechia and Slovakia, not to mention a plethora of other countries.

I am Green with envy, but that is my surname anyway. :eek::confused::(
"Teslae"? Excellent! High-5!