Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone experience a Stop Light Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been experimenting trying to trigger a Stop Light Warning with autosteer and have failed to do so. I've waited until the last minute to slam on the brakes and have yet to trigger anything. Anyone else experience the warning chime as described in the manual?

GLM

I've been experimenting trying to trigger a Stop Light Warning with autosteer and have failed to do so. I've waited until the last minute to slam on the brakes and have yet to trigger anything. Anyone else experience the warning chime as described in the manual?

GLM
Is it clearly seeing the Stop sign and "painting" the stop road line?

Per those who have examined the code, it is using mapping.

What you are seeing in the video is AP telling you to take over because the road is ending, not because of the stop sign.
I disagree. The display is clearly showing a portable stop sign. The car does not stop (yet), but is detecting the sign with the cameras. When they move the sign to the other side of the car, the display changes.

Is it clearly seeing the Stop sign and "painting" the stop road line?
Yes, and I am being patient and verifying the stop signal appears on the screen. I may have actually experience the chime today, just as I was hitting the brakes in time to stop for the light. If it was the chime, it would have been too late for someone to react because my foot was hovering above the brake pedal waiting for the last minute to brake.

I disagree. The display is clearly showing a portable stop sign. The car does not stop (yet), but is detecting the sign with the cameras. When they move the sign to the other side of the car, the display changes.
Yes, the cameras see the signs and stoplights, BUT THEY DO NOT YET warn based on them.

They only warn based on mapped items. This is well known and has been discussed multiple times on this forum.

Any idea why Tesla would only enable this feature when AP/Autosteer is on? Wouldn't you want the stop sign/red light warning even under driver control? If the car is approaching a stop sign or red light at a high rate of speed then you would think it would alert. Just like the collision warning alerts when approaching a car in front of you. Kind of silly to only enable this in AP mode when we are no supposed to be using AP mode on the streets yet.

Any idea why Tesla would only enable this feature when AP/Autosteer is on? Wouldn't you want the stop sign/red light warning even under driver control? If the car is approaching a stop sign or red light at a high rate of speed then you would think it would alert. Just like the collision warning alerts when approaching a car in front of you. Kind of silly to only enable this in AP mode when we are no supposed to be using AP mode on the streets yet.

I assume it is a feature associated with FSD and not available on cars without. I don't understand why it isn't part of TACC.

I have seen the Stop Light warning on my ‘18 LR RWD with EAP and HW 2.5. You need to be in AP as mentioned, running steady speed and the light needs to be red. Not yellow and then turning red.

The red steering wheel shows up along with alarms. I had to brake quickly but was able to stop behind the cross walk with no problem.

I agree that this would be nice safety feature when not in AP. I assume this is due to the cameras operating in AP. Also when not in AP maybe Tesla assumes you are in full control.

Also I would think this has to do with preparation for FSD and full city driving.

If you're curious, an easy way to trigger is to approach the light on AP when there are no cars behind you and gradually slow down to 0 using the AP controls (e.g. scroll wheel). Once at the light either gently nudge over the line using the accelerator pedal (don't need to go far), or while still in AP mode push the accelerator pedal immediately after the light turns green (there's a little lag between the light changing and the car detecting the change which triggers the alarm).

If you're curious, an easy way to trigger is to approach the light on AP when there are no cars behind you and gradually slow down to 0 using the AP controls (e.g. scroll wheel). Once at the light either gently nudge over the line using the accelerator pedal (don't need to go far), or while still in AP mode push the accelerator pedal immediately after the light turns green (there's a little lag between the light changing and the car detecting the change which triggers the alarm).

Thanks, I'll give that a try today.