Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone familiar with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
again, tesla has no knowledge that i ever used the adapter because it was not connected when i took the car in for service. if they did, that would make at least some sense.

they are making this claim based solely on me having the portable XM in the console, which is obvious bullsh*t. it would be the same as if i had been using the bluetooth dock others here are using and had FM issues, and they claimed that the XM unit caused the FM tuner issues. that's literally what we're talking about here.

i'm trying to make a point here because it annoys the hell out of me that people dismissed out of hand both my point that this was happening before i ever installed XM to begin with, and that it is a well documented problem with the FM tuner itself. hopefully this will be resolved, as anyone who has had the tuner replaced seems to have had the problem fixed and not had it return...so i'm hopeful that there was an issue in the hardware with early tuners (i took delivery of my car in july of 2018) and it's fixed in the replacements.

there is no reason that adding a simple FM direct adapter that is sold by a major company and has caused no issues in any other car on the planet would suddenly cause the Model 3 FM tuner to blow up. this becomes even more unlikely when it's documented that other people have had the same issue. i get it though, to some people tesla can do no wrong, ever. i should have known better than even asking the question here.

Just because you removed it, doesnt mean they have "no knowledge of it". I have no idea of how its connected, etc, but I will give you another example.

People think when they buy one of those "plug in boost" items for some performance ICE cars, that if they have an issue, they can simply remove it, and the "dealer will have no idea it was ever there". Thats absolutely 1000000% NOT the case. The dealer see it was there in the software, if they look in the right place... and if the engine blows up and they have to send the diagnostics into the actual manufacturer to get a warranty replacement engine, the manufacturer requires the logs be sent in, and THEY look for it.

With a tesla being one of the most "connected" cars in the world, as far as manufacturer logging, AND the fact that there is no "dealer" there who is trying to get paid (and has a vested interest in sliding things through), I doubt there is very much that "tesla has no idea was there" when it comes to something connected to the car.

Like I said, I have no knowledge, but if you tapped wires (for example) if the tech had to look at those wires to "fix it" they will know something was there. I dont know, I am not professing to know, regarding this situation. I just know for a fact that, "many" times people think the dealer has "no idea" when they absolutely do. Maybe its the same in this case, maybe its not. you know what you had to to do connect it, if you tapped wires, there is physical evidence you did so in the actual wiring (as an example).

Shrug.. I am not trying to argue with you, I have zero skin in this game. I only posted in this thread in the first place, because one thing I DO know is, over the years I have been a member of various car forums, and LOTS and LOTS of people who make modifications to their cars start talking about "magnussen-moss" when the dealer denies some claim, thinking that it is going to protect them... and in most cases I remember, they either vanish from the forum after talking about suing, or come back and start talking about how "unfair" the dealer is, and how XXX could not have caused YYY issue.

Thats what I ment in the first post, and you took it as a potshot at you, which I was not making. I was just making the point that "lots of people try to fall back on magnussen-moss, and it doesnt work like that".

Anyway, good luck with it, hopefully it doesnt fail again.

I didn’t read all the responses but this doesn’t sound like a Magnusson Moss case. MM would more apply if Tesla tried to void your entire warranty for a single component. For example, if you lower your car, Tesla cannot good your power train unless they prove it’s related. They can void the warranty for components of the suspension modified, but they can’t just indemnify themselves from the rest of the warranty unless they prove that component is the offending party.

Also, the cost and hassle of suing Tesla for a more trivial part isn’t really worth it.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Save yourself the hassle and just go with the bluetooth cradle. They may have fixed the issue with the radio but you never know. I have a lifetime XM subscription from way back when that only applies to their radios (not the streaming), so I need to buy a radio and will be going the bluetooth route myself. Hard wiring to the FM antenna goes back years and as I far as I know should not cause any problems, but with the Tesla, I don't know and wouldn't take any chances. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Just because you removed it, doesnt mean they have "no knowledge of it".

i'm not sure how they would have any way of knowing. there was no warranty sticker on the antenna connection, and even if there was i can't think of any way something as simple as disconnecting the antenna would void a warranty.

Thats what I ment in the first post, and you took it as a potshot at you, which I was not making. I was just making the point that "lots of people try to fall back on magnussen-moss, and it doesnt work like that".

fair enough. i apologize for overreacting.

Save yourself the hassle and just go with the bluetooth cradle. They may have fixed the issue with the radio but you never know. I have a lifetime XM subscription from way back when that only applies to their radios (not the streaming), so I need to buy a radio and will be going the bluetooth route myself. Hard wiring to the FM antenna goes back years and as I far as I know should not cause any problems, but with the Tesla, I don't know and wouldn't take any chances. Good luck.

i actually have considered this, but it's vaporware again. it's out of stock everywhere.