Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone familiar with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
regardless, there's no way the FM direct adapter caused the issues with the FM tuner,

You're saying that it isn't possible that the adapter has failed and did something it wasn't designed to do? :rolleyes:

hey've been well documented here and elsewhere

I certainly haven't seen that, and I read a lot here. There may be a couple failures, but nothing widespread. (That I have seen.)

3) the adapter causes no issues with any other cars (or they wouldn't be selling it to begin with)...

The particular adapter that you have, or just the same model? Yours could be bad. It could also be that the electronics in the Model 3 are more sensitive than what other cars have.

There are plenty. Here's one thread on it (there are many more but I'm on my phone and don't have time to link them all, a simple Google search for model 3 FM issues will find them though):

FM radio stopped working

And at least a couple of those people report having hooked a XM radio adapter to it. Hmm... Could that possibly be related? :rolleyes:

Reactions: lUtriaNt and Runt8
I got the answer I needed, which is apparently that I was interpreting the act backwards (it's on us to prove the mod didn't cause failure, not on Tesla to prove that it did).

Technically you have it right. The problem is that Tesla will just have one of their engineers say something like "your modification over-powered the FM tuner and damaged it." Then it would be up to you to prove that they were wrong. They might even say something like "we have seen x cases of the FM tuner being damaged by having an aftermarket XM adapter being hooked to it."

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I certainly haven't seen that, and I read a lot here. There may be a couple failures, but nothing widespread. (That I have seen.)

I already linked to one thread, and a simple Google search finds many more.

And at least a couple of those people report having hooked a XM radio adapter to it.

I'm the only one I know of that has had the xm adapter connected, but that doesn't explain me having the same issues before connecting it.

Sorry, but you’d flat out lose that one. Impossible for you to prove you didn’t wreck the FM tuner by modifying it. The MM act means they can’t say “nope, sorry, motor’s not covered because you installed an XM radio” ... but you clearly, directly modified the system that failed. Be glad they fixed it gratis the first time, to be honest.

That said - check out the Bluetooth dock for XM. Or better yet - the new SiriusXM Tour radio. Has Bluetooth built in ...

Sorry, but you’d flat out lose that one. Impossible for you to prove you didn’t wreck the FM tuner by modifying it. The MM act means they can’t say “nope, sorry, motor’s not covered because you installed an XM radio” ... but you clearly, directly modified the system that failed. Be glad they fixed it gratis the first time, to be honest.

That said - check out the Bluetooth dock for XM. Or better yet - the new SiriusXM Tour radio. Has Bluetooth built in ...

two things...

1) clearly based on the responses here i've interpreted the act wrong, which is fine. i thought it said they had to prove the modification caused the failure, seems everyone here thinks it's the other way around. so be it.

2) they have no way of knowing i even had the adapter installed. i disconnected it and hooked it back up like it came from the factory before taking it in. there was no warranty sticker on the connector from antenna to tuner that would have been broken to indicate i ever disconnected it.

they seem to be saying that just having the XM unit installed caused the failure, which is obvious bullsh*t. it would be like saying your XM unit caused the FM failure even though you're using the bluetooth dock...even if i'm interpreting the act wrong (which it seems like i might be), saying something like that seems like it would be in keeping with the spirit of what the law was intended to prevent.

• Disagree
I use it on my Bolt but there's no way in hell I'd be paying the full/regular price for it.

i haven't paid full price for it in probably a decade, and anyone who is paying full price is doing it wrong. i got the $100 for a year of all access probably about 10 years ago and easily get it every year by just calling in and asking them for the same price i had the year before. they have always granted it (knock on wood). it's definitely *NOT* worth $21 a month or whatever ridiculous number it is...but less than $10/mo including streaming w/ all professional sports and howard stern? yes, it's very much worth that IMO.

Tesla should have aux input. OP how about a using a FM-> BT adapter instead?

i have considered switching to the bluetooth dock, but then i lose the ability to have my phone connected at the same time. if they would allow multiple bluetooth inputs, that would easily be the way to go...but unfortunately they do not.

Reactions: cwerdna
Your unit has been red flagged. If it fails again, Tesla will not cover it under warranty. You will need to make a case that your modification did not negatively effect your radio. Not likely to be successful.

this doesn't really help anything, specifically how they can even remotely make the case that just having an XM unit in the car would cause the FM tuner to fail. that makes no sense.

• Disagree
1) clearly based on the responses here i've interpreted the act wrong, which is fine. i thought it said they had to prove the modification caused the failure, seems everyone here thinks it's the other way around. so be it.

This is probably splitting hairs, but technically speaking I think you interpreted the act correctly. See Sect 2304 (c). It doesn't say "prove", but it does say that the warrantor's duties are only waived if they "can show" the problem was "caused by damage" (which could have been caused by a third-party device, consumer, or anybody other than the warrantor).

However, practically speaking, if the manufacturer says - without "showing", but "in their opinion" - that your third-party device caused the problem and refuse to pay (which is common), your only recourse is to take them to court/arbitration for a violation of the act...and then, yeah, you may find yourself having to prove that your third-party device did not cause the problem in order to show that the act was violated.

another one from tesla's own forum about this issue, for those who think i'm an idiot and caused this by installing XM...

FM radio stuck loading | Tesla

It appears you are trying to convince a forum of people (who dont matter in the slightest) about your claim. You need to prepare for tesla to deny your claim if something happens again (because they already told you they are going to do that) and capture that evidence, and prepare to go to arbitration over the issue.

The problem you are likely to run into, is that "any reasonable person" who hears:

1. FM unit in car failed
2. Owner added non approved third party equipment that ties into FM unit

Would conclude that "third party equipment that ties into FM unit" is the cause. I know nothing about the subject ( and neither will any arbitrator who you end up in front of), but they will hear those two things, and then tesla state "third party unit caused failure" and it will be up to you to prove otherwise. I am not sure if "forum posts" will help you, but I guess it wouldnt hurt to gather evidence in case this happens again.

Posting on this thread trying to say "its happening to others" doesnt mean anything, because we have no idea what they did or did not do to their cars, or what the status is (but if they took it in for service, tesla will have an idea, and likely mention it if it bolsters their case).

You are convinced that "it had nothing to do with it", fair enough.. you will need to gather evidence to prove that fact to present to arbitration if, in fact, it fails again, and you decide to fight it. Your not likely going to convince anyone who sees "owner wired something into FM, it failed, and now owner states "it has nothing to do with it" and thinks thats silly, in this thread.

The problem you are likely to run into, is that "any reasonable person" who hears:

1. FM unit in car failed
2. Owner added non approved third party equipment that ties into FM unit

again, tesla has no knowledge that i ever used the adapter because it was not connected when i took the car in for service. if they did, that would make at least some sense.

they are making this claim based solely on me having the portable XM in the console, which is obvious bullsh*t. it would be the same as if i had been using the bluetooth dock others here are using and had FM issues, and they claimed that the XM unit caused the FM tuner issues. that's literally what we're talking about here.

i'm trying to make a point here because it annoys the hell out of me that people dismissed out of hand both my point that this was happening before i ever installed XM to begin with, and that it is a well documented problem with the FM tuner itself. hopefully this will be resolved, as anyone who has had the tuner replaced seems to have had the problem fixed and not had it return...so i'm hopeful that there was an issue in the hardware with early tuners (i took delivery of my car in july of 2018) and it's fixed in the replacements.

there is no reason that adding a simple FM direct adapter that is sold by a major company and has caused no issues in any other car on the planet would suddenly cause the Model 3 FM tuner to blow up. this becomes even more unlikely when it's documented that other people have had the same issue. i get it though, to some people tesla can do no wrong, ever. i should have known better than even asking the question here.

• Disagree
Can you link to the XM device you’re using? I’m having difficulty figuring out how what you’re saying adds up, but maybe it’s because I don’t have a clear idea what you’re using to listen to XM.

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXP...1&keywords=xm+onyx+plus&qid=1593894059&sr=8-2

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/siriusxm-fm-direct-adapter-black/8116585.p?skuId=8116585

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJX5611/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHW5J6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

from the car dock, there's an FM output port. it connects to the second item in this list, which then runs to the back of the car where the tuner is. the antenna outputs on that unit won't work (obviously, because tesla uses a different connection from the antenna as many auto manufacturers do)...that's where the other two adapters come in.

NOTHING in this entire loop is powered (except for the XM unit itself, which is just plugged into the car's 12v outlet), which is why it should not (and does not on any other car on the planet, nor on mine likely) cause any issues. all it does is when the XM unit is turned on, it sends the XM signal to the unit, cuts the signal from the antenna and replaces it with the XM signal on whatever FM frequency is selected in the XM unit. that's all it does. it's sending out the same FM signal that would otherwise come from the antenna, except it's the XM signal inserted onto that frequency. there are many other products also that do the same thing, but give you the ability to add an aux input...such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS31...rds=fm+direct+aux+input&qid=1593894347&sr=8-9