Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone From TN Buy Used Tesla from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Tennessee and I recently placed an order for Used Tesla. The Vehicle is in Florida and I was planning to drive up there to pick it up to save the $2K shipping fee.

I am told,by Tesla, TN residents cannot do this, if I am registering a vehicle in TN I should buy a Tesla in TN. Tesla Says I pay the $2K or cancel the Order. They were citing a law unique to TN, NY, TX,MA not considering Tesla as a Dealer. I checked with local DMV and they say there isn't such a law. So I am reaching out to you folks to check if anyone in TN had to do the same? Anyway I can avoid paying the $2K?

I posted the same in MX forum but posting the same in M3 forum.

Thanks

I don't see why you couldn't drive to FL and pick up your car. You would have to pay the TN rate for sales tax, but I don't see why you would be forced to pay to get it shipped.
I purchased my model 3 from private party out of state, then drove it back and registered it here in TN.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Agreed. I think they just want to charge $2K for the vehicle. When Pressed for Supporting information this is what my OA had to say

"To summarized it up for you, it is because some states like TN, TX, NY, MA, do not consider Tesla as a dealer, hence there are complications with registering the vehicle and title issues for customer taking delivery out of state and registering their vehicle in TN.
If you are a TN registrant, you must take delivery in TN. There is no way around this for the moment for Used Tesla Deliveries.
We can proceed with the order, or we can cancel the order and have you look for a Used Tesla that is ALREADY in TN. Please let me know"

This sounds like an Internal Issue within Tesla and NOT because of any LAW.
I did not want to lose out on the Vehicle so I just agreed to pay the $2K and am set for delivery tomorrow. Unsure I can do anything at this point.

This just sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen :)

Thanks

Well, I would talk to a boss (that sales advisor's manager or someone else higher). I believe that sales advisor is misinformed, which is code for "don't know what they are talking about and likely have apples mixed with oranges".

Besides, no one can stop you from going down there to pick it up. Call someone at the Florida store and tell them you are buying it, get it ready for pickup. Go to Florida and buy it. Drive it home. Whose going to object? DMV? They already told you, its not an issue. You want it - go for it.

Reactions: Blucenturion
Its a standard fee regardless of the distance. But I suspect that was self-explanatory - like it or not.
But because its high, I would think people would want to go pick the car up themselves anyway. Gives them the opportunity to eyeball it in person too.

Its a standard fee regardless of the distance. But I suspect that was self-explanatory - like it or not.
But because its high, I would think people would want to go pick the car up themselves anyway. Gives them the opportunity to eyeball it in person too.

That is similar to us "locals" who have to pay $1,200 destination fee when we are driving it off the Factory lot. It is what it is, and it is the way that the "price is the same for everyone"

It is another fishy trick to get more money out of customers. Like stripping EAP, summon, and NoA from all cars went through Tesla used cars channels!
BTW, Why in the world they charge tax on supposedly service add-on?

That is similar to us "locals" who have to pay $1,200 destination fee when we are driving it off the Factory lot. It is what it is, and it is the way that the "price is the same for everyone"
Sorta. But not really. The charge is nearly double and “applies” even if you live in the next state over unless you go pick the car up. This should be changed to reflect actual cost to ship.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZappCatt
I could blow up E’s twitter all day if I want (if I subscribed to Twitter) to see if he’d entertain it but ultimately the market will have to decide this and if more people are picking up used locally than at their state of residence when buying then perhaps this will effect the most market pressure.