Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone get 'the text' yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ships only have so much space, other people in EU want cars, and critical for Tesla's survival (unfortunately) to keep Wall Street happy. To that end Tesla need the absolute maximum of completed sales for end of Q2 (this Sunday)

There are another 1,000 or 2,000 RHD cars in transit that Tesla have not been able to get here in time (which is $150M they have not been able to capitalise in their Q2 accounts ... so it would have been better for Tesla if they had not bothered to send ANY RHD cars for July delivery ...)

I disagree. In order to be a supporter of Tesla you will have to make lifestyle adjustments to support them. You will have to detour to charge at Supercharger not available on your route, or put up with absolutely dreadful, slow, 3rd party chargers. You will have to plan where you will charge on long journeys - whereas in an ICE you would just set off before you can fill up anywhere in only a few minutes ...

... and you will also have to make allowances for Tesla Back Office. Yeah, me too, and I wish for both of us that wasn't necessary.

Sorry, but Detractors using terms like "mis-selling" are not helping. Refunds have been available at any point of the wait, you are still in there which I am pleased about - presumably people who also made an original investment but can only afford the base model have had to throw in the towel already. I hope you will stick it out. If you have energy to spare please aim at government to increase the take up rate of EVs and get 3rd party Chargers fixed and usable - on a par with the wonderful experience of Superchargers.

I would prefer to be using my limited time helping people with questions about the car themselves, not having to keep defending Tesla for every Detractor saying "They should have done THIS or THAT ... surely it is obvious". Please stop and consider the bigger picture.

I accept some of this - and absolutely agree I want Tesla to be successful. I would probably more readily accept the delays if they had just told me and maybe explained a little - but to set expectations by saying we were getting the car in June, and never telling us it would be delayed from that is v.poor. IF I believed what Tesla has told me (and didn't read this forum) I would be expecting my car this weekend...

Whilst I accept your point, I won't have to adapt my life to Tesla as you suggest, I have bought a Nissan Leaf while waiting for my Model 3 (which is v.nice, but not a Tesla) - so the Model 3 will make my life so much easier with more than double the range (so halving the charging stops, and even those will be quicker).

I do not see myself as a 'detractor' - I would consider myself a massive Tesla advocate amongst my friends and family, but I struggle to continue to justify this when I have to keep telling them Tesla cannot reliably tell me when I will get the car.

I assume Tesla must read forums like this, so must be aware of their customers views (if not, they absolutely should) - and should try to address them. It's how a company continues to grow and be successful...

I ordered a Hyundai Kona Electric 64kWh in February 2019, having given up on ever getting the TM3 I'd reserved, via their Click to Buy system. Hyundai back office told me it would be a 42 week wait, and I booked my collection with my local dealer for 11am on November 9th.

Middle of April, I got an email telling me good news! My car would actually arrive on May 6th, could I collect it on May 26th? I said sure, if I can lower my deposit from £10k to £6k because I've got 6 months less to save...

Leave it with us, they said. Couple of weeks go by...nothing. Eventually, they told me the only way to do that in their systems (because by this point they'd stopped taking orders on the Kona) would be to cancel my order, refund my reservation fee, allocate my car to my dealer instead of me, and for me to buy the car directly from the dealer when it arrived. Bit of a pain, I thought, but ok - cancelled the order.

Didn't hear anything for a few days, so I got in touch again. Turns out that the back office had inadvertently allocated the car to the wrong dealer.

Unfortunately for Hyundai, by this point the TM3 was out and it was about the price I thought it was going to be. Fortunately for me, they had graciously cancelled my order already!

TLDR; Tesla aren't the only ones with a rubbish back office. My Hyundai experience was also rubbish, just they kept telling me the wrong information, instead of giving me no information.

I ordered a Hyundai Kona Electric 64kWh in February 2019, having given up on ever getting the TM3 I'd reserved, via their Click to Buy system. Hyundai back office told me it would be a 42 week wait, and I booked my collection with my local dealer for 11am on November 9th.
The point is Hyundai's BO systems were able to narrow down to the exact hour 42 weeks out when you could collect your car.

The point is Hyundai's BO systems were able to narrow down to the exact hour 42 weeks out when you could collect your car.

Did you read the rest? It wasn't in any way accurate at all, and they wanted to deliver it 6 months early. They just gave me a two week window of dates and times 42 weeks away to choose from.

If I didn't take it 6 months early, I would've lost the car and been waiting until the middle of 2020.

Now, maybe Tesla should start under promising and over delivering, instead of over promising and under delivering, and they should offer us all the chance to choose a date next February to pick our cars up because they can guarantee they'll all be here by then. But is that better?

Reactions: Roy W.
Did you read the rest? It wasn't in any way accurate at all, and they wanted to deliver it 6 months early. They just gave me a two week window of dates and times 42 weeks away to choose from.

If I didn't take it 6 months early, I would've lost the car and been waiting until the middle of 2020.

Now, maybe Tesla should start under promising and over delivering, instead of over promising and under delivering, and they should offer us all the chance to choose a date next February to pick our cars up because they can guarantee they'll all be here by then. But is that better?
Personally I was happy (well satisfied - would have preferred last year!) with 'June' if they had met that, or informed me if/when it changed, rather than wondering whether every text / call I get could be confirmation and not knowing if I am getting my car next week or sometime after August...

Reactions: fakoriginal
Not “the text”, but at least a phone call!

I’ve just had a call from a nice Tesla lady in Norway to confirm all the details on my account are correct before going on to the next stage.

Such excitement!

After confirming everything, she said, with what sounded like a straight face, that I would get my car in July, August, or possibly September :confused:

She explained that neither she nor her managers have any visibility of what cars are coming until they are on the boat and en route. She also said that as soon as they knew the car was on the way, they would contact me for payment about 10 days before delivery, and the reg would be allocated about 5 days before delivery.

So, no news at all, but at least I got a nice phone call! ;)

Reactions: Baldrick
So this afternoon I collected Grey from the Dartford SC. The handover is minimal, you’re expected to watch the videos and figure most of it out for yourself. Team very pleasant though!
Have been driving in chill mode until I get used to the speed and handling. Was impressed that it detected me reverse parking into a space in Bluewater and offered auto park (my old car couldn’t even find the space half the time), and also how quickly the cameras calibrated for TACC. Not tried any of the other autopilot features yet.
Can confirm that UK P3D’s:
  • Come with interior mats
  • Have DAB radio
  • Come with a type 2 cable, and the converters for commando and three pin charging
  • Have the Dual Motor badge and spoiler fitted on delivery
Hoping to take out for a longer run tomorrow in the sunshine, and avoiding width restrictors like the plague at the mo! :D

1319B2FC-E46D-49AD-914C-DD0EDBAE8A48.jpeg
E72E1503-FB27-4003-BB94-4848DA2A08D2.jpeg FD41C951-07A6-4BC3-959B-8B38B9679475.jpeg CD3C33E6-571D-4A9F-8D2F-D73B24C5BF3A.jpeg D63004C1-AD2A-47D6-A6DD-4004334E1455.jpeg

Congrats pal ! Much more action at Dartford?
The handover guy said he’d been non-stop (although I didn’t ask if they were all M3’s). There were at least 2 white, 2 blue, a red being cleaned up and another four of 5 that were still under wrap when I got there late this afternoon, so looks like they’ll be busy tomorrow too!

Somewhat related question - anyone know how long it takes for referral code Supercharging to appear on your account and where you find the info? I used a code from a gym buddy back when it was 5,000 miles. Thanks in advance.

The handover guy said he’d been non-stop (although I didn’t ask if they were all M3’s). There were at least 2 white, 2 blue, a red being cleaned up and another four of 5 that were still under wrap when I got there late this afternoon, so looks like they’ll be busy tomorrow too!

Somewhat related question - anyone know how long it takes for referral code Supercharging to appear on your account and where you find the info? I used a code from a gym buddy back when it was 5,000 miles. Thanks in advance.

Thats good to know. Where they all performance or did you see any SR’s?

My referral code has been on my home page since I ordered (at least 6 weeks now). First page you see when logging onto Tesla account- isn't everyone's?
Yeah, my code has been there for a while, but it’s the super charger miles I should have from using my friend’s code that I’m interested in finding.

Edit - turns out they appear in the loot box on the app. Look forward to my first super charge (especially as it’ll be free)

Last edited: