Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is aware that some will be tempted to "find" some service work, and that they would be upset if they are faced with customers doing that. Might find yourself "flagged" if discovered.

Idea is to smoothly roll out the available HW3 chips by installing them into customer cars when they are in for other service. Do not want to clog up the service bays with people making up problems, just to get a shot at the new chip.
I got my model X updated to HW3 when I brought it in for an unrelated repair. They said they are doing the model X and model S preferentially as they come in for repairs, then will do the model 3 later on. I also have a model 3 and am I no rush to upgrade since the only difference at this point is rendering road cones. I can say from driving both that there is no other difference in function at this time. Probably not worth the trouble of coming up with a service request at this point.
What is HW3?..having a hard time catcing upwith all the acronyms.

What is HW3?..having a hard time catcing upwith all the acronyms.

HW3 is the common shorthand for "hardware 3". It refers to the new full self-driving computer that Tesla developed in-house and is now installed in new cars built after April 2019. Tesla has promised to upgrade owners of HW2 and HW2.5 cars who have paid for FSD with the new full self-driving computer so that they can get the FSD features that they paid for.

You can read up on how Autopilot hardware has changed over time here:
Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

So, moving on, has anyone else been scheduled for HW3? I’d imagine the SCs are getting flooded with requests now that it has some unique abilities.
I was over at the Henrietta, NY SC for the pack breather TSB and brake cleaning earlier today, had a long chat with the service manager and asked about HW3. He said they've been doing 10-15 cars a week for the past 4 weeks, most of them Model 3s. He also said that actual units do not get shipped to them until the owner is contacted by Tesla and schedules an appointment, and that to him, it looked like everything is based on the car's production date. My two cars are November 18 and January 19 production, neither has been flagged for an upgrade yet.

Edit: he did venture a guess that I should be getting something from Tesla in the next 2 weeks for the older car, but I'm not going to read into it much.

Edit2: also, needed to say this: I emailed the SC yesterday about the brake cleaning and they had me in today. Really happy with how that went.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: drip and mtndrew1
I was over at the Henrietta, NY SC for the pack breather TSB and brake cleaning earlier today, had a long chat with the service manager and asked about HW3. He said they've been doing 10-15 cars a week for the past 4 weeks, most of them Model 3s. He also said that actual units do not get shipped to them until the owner is contacted by Tesla and schedules an appointment, and that to him, it looked like everything is based on the car's production date. My two cars are November 18 and January 19 production, neither has been flagged for an upgrade yet.

Edit: he did venture a guess that I should be getting something from Tesla in the next 2 weeks for the older car, but I'm not going to read into it much.

Mine is a March 2018 build. Fingers crossed!

OT: What did they charge to clean/lubricate the brake pins/calipers/etc? I'm probably going to do it myself in the spring, but if it's a low enough cost, I'm happy to sub out the work. :)
They didn't charge me and didn't generate a work order - the service manager said that they'll do it on good will while they replace the pack breathers. I think bringing the techs that work there a couple 4-packs of beer every time my car's in for something is paying off.

They didn't charge me and didn't generate a work order - the service manager said that they'll do it on good will while they replace the pack breathers. I think bringing the techs that work there a couple 4-packs of beer every time my car's in for something is paying off.

I'd say it is... hahaha. That's great! How many things have you needed work done for though? I haven't needed anything; the pack breathers could be a thing, I guess, but haven't seen a need. I expect the pop when Supercharging, and otherwise don't hear anything....

I do like the idea of bringing a snack or drink though; we put a snack box out on our porch for the delivery drivers this holiday season - it's been a huge hit. Glad the drivers are getting a quick bite during those long days!

How many things have you needed work done for though?

I've been over a bunch of times, but only one SC appointment (axle clicking when turning) and one mobile service visit (b-pillar cameras) were actual issues with the cars. The rest were my own doing (had some suspension work done after hitting a pothole, got help investigating a mystery bad-bearing-like noise that ended up being the tires, got the snows put on, etc.)

My local SC was not there when I bought my first Tesla, so I'm just happy to have them in town. We also have a very active owners' club and Tesla participates, so I basically know all of the techs. Finally, the beer thing is a habit that I picked up while owning multiple VW cars, it has saved me some serious grief and a non-insignificant amount of money over the years.

I submitted a service appt request for my AP3 upgrade. The earliest appt time was Jan 10. I am assuming they will cancel the appt. But maybe I will get lucky.

"Tesla will reach out to you..." reply coming in 3...2...1...

Tesla Las Vegas SC said:
"We are currently reviewing your Service Appointment for January 7th at 11:00 am. The FSD Computer Retrofit is not yet available to be performed on your vehicle. The Computer Retrofit will automatically populate for your VIN once it is ready to be performed. Please check back in a few weeks and we can verify if your vehicle is ready for the Retrofit. Once it is ready to be performed on your vehicle, we will have to schedule it into the Service Center to be performed. At this time, we will be cancelling your Service Appointment. Have a great day!!"
14xxx, March 2018 build, FSD bought with vehicle (a regrettable decision).

I have a service appointment for 2 year checkup, service bulletin items and for HW3 next week for my M3 RWD. Appointment has been confirmed. Pretty early VIN 2XXX. Have had no problems in the 2 years I've had the car other than minor panel alignment issues in the first week.

I just experienced NAVIGATION ON AUTOPILOT attempting to run me into Traffic Cone HELL at night!!! Earlier runs our of Minneapolis were fine from the right lane. Left lane optionally gets closed by the MHD.and I am not certain why the MOD-X decides to take the road less traveled by. Maybe I don't feed him enough cones!

I just experienced NAVIGATION ON AUTOPILOT attempting to run me into Traffic Cone HELL at night!!! Earlier runs our of Minneapolis were fine from the right lane. Left lane optionally gets closed by the MHD.and I am not certain why the MOD-X decides to take the road less traveled by. Maybe I don't feed him enough cones!

Is this related to your Model 3 getting the autopilot computer swapped out to HW3? If not there may be another thread more appropriate for your concern.

Reactions: APotatoGod