Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got pics of the hatchback open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
e193a4d8-3c57-4334-a31e-bf25507f4999-jpeg.513985

Found this photo of the Lift Gate open! Looks extremely spacious and great for road trips.

The rear middle seat looks like a ski pass through, as it seems to be possible to fold it independently of the other rear seats.

To all those who are calling big, are you only looking at depth? Do you see how narrow it is? Or you just don't care about the width? That's one narrow boot, and for most of people who plan to put something in the back, it would be disappointing. When calling a boot large/big, you need to look at both depth and width. Looks like the base has a little handle so clearly there is a way to lift it up possibly showing more space below. So except for the width, this looks good in general. Since my permanent problem is with width this is another strike for me unfortunately. Tesla has released the dimensions of Cybertruck. Elon even tweets about its width all the time. But clearly they want to hide Y's dimensions otherwise they should have released them months ago. Probably because its shorter and about the same width as Model 3. That fact alone will cause some rumbles and some cancelling of orders.

I’m not an engineer but I wonder, with the roof being all glass with no cross-member, if the trunk area had to have more “structure” to stiffen up the roof for rollover crashes? Just a thought. I’m sure there has to be a trade off somewhere for the all glass roof?

To all those who are calling big, are you only looking at depth? Do you see how narrow it is? Or you just don't care about the width?

Just don’t care. If it’s even close to as wide as my Model 3’s opening, it’s more than fine for us. Only issues I’ve ever had with Model 3 had to do with length and height. Width isn’t a concern for us.

As long as my Bulldog has a comfy way to hang out back there, we’re good. The camping gear etc fit in Model 3, so no way Y would be an issue.

A39954E7-5186-44D5-A002-FBA24DD429F2.jpeg

To all those who are calling big, are you only looking at depth? Do you see how narrow it is? Or you just don't care about the width? That's one narrow boot, and for most of people who plan to put something in the back, it would be disappointing. When calling a boot large/big, you need to look at both depth and width. Looks like the base has a little handle so clearly there is a way to lift it up possibly showing more space below. So except for the width, this looks good in general. Since my permanent problem is with width this is another strike for me unfortunately. Tesla has released the dimensions of Cybertruck. Elon even tweets about its width all the time. But clearly they want to hide Y's dimensions otherwise they should have released them months ago. Probably because its shorter and about the same width as Model 3. That fact alone will cause some rumbles and some cancelling of orders.

yeah. If the Y is the same width as a 3 I am afraid that will be a deal breaker for me. I need to be able to fit either 3 adults comfortably in the back or 3 booster seats. P

• Funny
Reactions: Zoomit
yeah. If the Y is the same width as a 3 I am afraid that will be a deal breaker for me. I need to be able to fit either 3 adults comfortably in the back or 3 booster seats. P
From the very beginning we all knew it was to be a CUV version of a Model 3. I never expected it to fit 5 adults more comfortably than the Model 3. What would have ever given anyone that impression?

By the way, the Model 3 is quite spacious and comfortable for 4 on long trips. 5 fit comfortably for around town type trips. Lots of leg room for the middle occupant, unlike most vehicles.

From the very beginning we all knew it was to be a CUV version of a Model 3. I never expected it to fit 5 adults more comfortably than the Model 3. What would have ever given anyone that impression?

By the way, the Model 3 is quite spacious and comfortable for 4 on long trips. 5 fit comfortably for around town type trips. Lots of leg room for the middle occupant, unlike most vehicles.

your right. I guess I was just holding out hope that it would be a bit wider and bigger than the 3.

I should be able to get at least a few more years out of my Grand Cherokee anyways. Hopefully by then there will be a mid size SUV type option from either Tesla or another company.

Just because a prototype had a feature doesn't mean it will make it to production. Tesla has not posted on the Model "Y" website that it is a feature. I hope it is. To be far the specifications listed on the Tesla website are far less specific than most other car company websites. Of course they are not having to advertise or compete with other companies right now. Nice problem to have. Maybe the Ford E-Mustang will make Tesla raise their game. Should be interesting to watch.

This is a nice feature. Wish my Jeep had this. With two car seats in the back it would be nice to be able to fold the middle part down to load long items.

This is my only complaint about the Model 3. I had a ski pass-through on my VW Sportwagen, VW Touareg and Subaru Outback and as an avid cross-country and downhill skier I really miss it. To get around it I use a roof box when going skiing with the whole family, but that's extra work and is a hit on range which can be an issue in the winter. For instance, it does limit the ski hills I can get to. To get to Marmot Basin I could get there on a full charge without a roof box (i.e. with a pass-through) but would need a couple hours at L2 charger with the roof box. To get to Fernie, I can make it in 6 hours with one Supercharging stop without the roof box but one extra Supercharging session would be required with a roof box. That adds 50 km and 45 minutes to the trip turning it from a trip I'm willing to do in the evening after work to one I'd rather not do in the evening after work, so I lose a day skiing on a weekend.

From that picture, it looks like that's more floor space (depth) than my 2012 Kia Soul, but the opening isn't as high in the back, since the Y slopes down in the back. Lots of room, though. From that picture of a red 3 parked nose- to- nose with a Y, the front seat height in the Y looks significantly greater than the 3. That's my main concern!

Yep, the Rivian R1S should be quite large for a mid size SUV. Assuming they make it to production and have a support network (possibly Ford).

im keeping an eye on that. However, based on current specs it sounds like it’s more of a large SUV and not a mid size suv. Unfortunately I can’t go much larger than my current grand Cherokee due to the size of my garage.

If you need something wider go with the Model X. Mine is massive in rear. With the rear seat of our 5-seater folded down you can easy put a 6 foot bookcase in the back. And with the under the rear deck storage well, you can hold 5 bags of groceries in addition to the bookcase.

I’m not an engineer but I wonder, with the roof being all glass with no cross-member, if the trunk area had to have more “structure” to stiffen up the roof for rollover crashes? Just a thought. I’m sure there has to be a trade off somewhere for the all glass roof?

On the 3's the roof's are all glass but under glass behind the driver's head is a metal piece that runs from side to side. This provides rigidity. On the X they do the same thing and have second one behind the second row of seats.

The other things about EVs is there are very difficult to roll over because the battery weight is below your feet. So the center of gravity is very low compared to a similar ICE car.