Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got pics of the hatchback open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my only complaint about the Model 3.I had a ski pass-through on my VW Sportwagen, VW Touareg and Subaru Outback and as an avid cross-country and downhill skier I really miss it.To get around it I use a roof box when going skiing with the whole family, but that's extra work and is a hit on range which can be an issue in the winter. For instance, it does limit the ski hills I can get to. To get to Marmot Basin I could get there on a full charge without a roof box (i.e. with a pass-through) but would need a couple hours at L2 charger with the roof box.
To get to Fernie, I can make it in 6 hours with one Supercharging stop without the roof box but one extra Supercharging session would be required with a roof box. That adds 50 km and 45 minutes to the trip turning it from a trip I'm willing to do in the evening after work to one I'd rather not do in the evening after work, so I lose a day skiing on a weekend.
Since the Model Y might get a tow hitch option, you also consider using a ski carrier instead of a roof box?

There was also a video from Bjørn Nyland using a roof box on tow hitch showing the drag advantage of using a tow hitch box instead of a roof box.
10021297_zm

Since the Model Y might get a tow hitch option, you also consider using a ski carrier instead of a roof box?

Not a fan. If you saw what my car looked like after driving 450 to 1000 km to the various ski hills we frequent through slush, salt road grime, etc. you'd understand why I want my skis inside a box or the vehicle. Also, I drive the Model 3. No hitch and I'm not putting an after market one on and lowering my ground clearance any.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
This is my only complaint about the Model 3. I had a ski pass-through on my VW Sportwagen, VW Touareg and Subaru Outback and as an avid cross-country and downhill skier I really miss it. To get around it I use a roof box when going skiing with the whole family, but that's extra work and is a hit on range which can be an issue in the winter. For instance, it does limit the ski hills I can get to. To get to Marmot Basin I could get there on a full charge without a roof box (i.e. with a pass-through) but would need a couple hours at L2 charger with the roof box. To get to Fernie, I can make it in 6 hours with one Supercharging stop without the roof box but one extra Supercharging session would be required with a roof box. That adds 50 km and 45 minutes to the trip turning it from a trip I'm willing to do in the evening after work to one I'd rather not do in the evening after work, so I lose a day skiing on a weekend.

Hopefully there's a way to strap them down as well? Would suck to have those things launch at your screen during hard braking.....

Reactions: Watts_Up
Not sure why there is this wish for a big Model Y, the only place in the world that wants a big Model Y is America, if you want a big Tesla get a Model X, in the rest of the world we want a small SUV not another car that doesn't fit our roads or parking spaces. Looks about perfect to me, might even trade in the Model 3 for one. Also really hope they make a Renault Zoe size Tesla.

Not sure why there is this wish for a big Model Y, the only place in the world that wants a big Model Y is America, if you want a big Tesla get a Model X, in the rest of the world we want a small SUV not another car that doesn't fit our roads or parking spaces. Looks about perfect to me, might even trade in the Model 3 for one. Also really hope they make a Renault Zoe size Tesla.

The problem with the X, at least for me, is that it is massive and won't fit in my garage. That and its really expensive. I would prefer a mid size SUV like the size of a Grand Cherokee.

With that said, I totally understand why they would be making a small crossover right now. I believe it is the right move as there is a much greater market for a vehicle this size. We only need one larger family car so I may still get the Y and let my wife drive the Grand Cherokee until a larger mid-size EV SUV (Rivian?) becomes available.

Looks reasonable but it suffers from the same thing a lot of modern small-mid SUVs have - the severely raked rear roofline limits interior space. If you start packing square things like coolers and suitcases, you'll find it eats up the space much faster than if the trunk area was more like a cube.

For example we recently bought a used Volvo XC70 over a comparable XC60 due to this very factor - and interior trunk space is nearly double in the XC70! This isn't a perfect comp as the XC70 is larger overall, but still - nearly twice!

SO many things seem off in this picture. First the screen looks angled and off to the side. The front seat seems huge, and what's up with the rear headrests? the left one is much larger than the right one. Thanks for posting the picture, I do like the three independent folding seats.

I wish Tesla make a shorter Model 3 and Model Y.
To cut about one foot on the front and the back would not be too difficult...
Even if sold at about the same price point, a shorter car would sale like hot cakes!!!
Look how much costs a MINI... you could get a much bigger and comfortable car but less easy to park.

• Disagree
Reactions: lardog
By the way, the Model 3 is quite spacious and comfortable for 4 on long trips. 5 fit comfortably for around town type trips. Lots of leg room for the middle occupant, unlike most vehicles.
The only problem I have with the 3's back seats is the side & Thigh bolsters on the outer edges of both sides. They work great to keep
you in your seat if there's only two people but when you have three what happens is the bolsters create an uncomfortable seating surface since it's not flat.

SO many things seem off in this picture. First the screen looks angled and off to the side. The front seat seems huge, and what's up with the rear headrests? the left one is much larger than the right one. Thanks for posting the picture, I do like the three independent folding seats.
The photo is poorly lit and grainy. I think that the headrests are the same, but the photo quality is too poor to distinguish the left edge of the left headrest from the seat back in front of it, which is exactly the same color. And there are kids in the back seat. It could even be a girl's hair that blurs the edge of the headrest. The screen doesn't look to be placed unusually to me.

I'd say no since the X and S don't have that feature and I can't see them adding it in the Y first. App, or key fob (sold separately) would be your best option.

For the S, X, or 3, do you have to take your phone out and open the app to open the trunk? Seems like a pain if carrying stuff. Even my 2011 jeep automatically unlocks when I walk up to the trunk and hit the button on the trunk.