Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had their Model 3 trunk wiring harness replaced successfully yet through the recall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just coming up to two years on my Model 3 and was thinking of booking it for brake calliper maintenance and recall work. I just wondered if anyone had had the Model 3 trunk lid harness retrofit yet?

Nope. Not even the inspection to determine if replacement is necessary. Good reminder though…I’ll try to book again. Need my cabin air filters changed again.

I booked my car in to Bournemouth SC for the recall work and within a few hours someone called me to tell it wasn't required on my car. I put my VIN number in the Tesla Recall site and up it came as requiring the work (Recall Number 21V-00D; December 21, 2021). I resubmitted the service request and asked them to please double check. Same result - not needed om my car. I was also told that given the date of the recall, it was highly unlikely that it would not be on their database by now if needed.

So, it looks like SCs are working from a different database to the one I've got access to(?).

I booked my car in to Bournemouth SC for the recall work and within a few hours someone called me to tell it wasn't required on my car. I put my VIN number in the Tesla Recall site and up it came as requiring the work (Recall Number 21V-00D; December 21, 2021). I resubmitted the service request and asked them to please double check. Same result - not needed om my car. I was also told that given the date of the recall, it was highly unlikely that it would not be on their database by now if needed.

So, it looks like SCs are working from a different database to the one I've got access to(?).
Yes, there's a separate internal database. My car's backup camera fails often (goes in and out when you slowly open the trunk -- as you may guess I'm in the US). My M3 appears to be part of the recall (on the public database), but I'm not tagged for service. The SC said they have explicit instructions not to do the work until tagged in their database due to parts availability. The service manager at the SC said she'd try to get clarification from the recall campaign, which I appreciate. I now have a message in my tesla app about a "Rear Harness Recall" stating I don't need to request an appt, and will receive notification when parts are available.

I am disappointed they are not prioritizing cars that are probably suffering from the condition (I may try fixing it myself (Temporary, non-destructive, $8 fix for back up camera issue (~2 hours work)). They also said they'd do the recall work now if I paid for it.

If your car is still under warranty, I'd suggest reporting ANY failure of the backup camera to the SC. You may not need it fixed now, but at least you have a paper trail if it fails regularly after the warranty expires. I thought my camera issues were due to software and did not act before the warranty expired. *sigh* The SC says they only have telemetry for a few weeks and need the exact time stamp to retrieve data.

I had a ranger out to the car a few weeks ago to refix the spoiler back in place as it was detaching on one side - I asked about my notification around Christmas 2021 that the car has a recall and I would be contacted - The ranger (From Birmingham) said they are not calling vehicles in for the check and are only reacting to customers complaining of an issue with the camera - or if the car notifies them of an issue.

My rear camera keeps failing regularly and re-boots do not fix it. Using the boot can make it work again for a while. I booked a service and was given a date within a week to a local SC, then told a Ranger would sort it on Tuesday. Now told they don't have the parts and now have an October date.

So.... I was able to get the recall work done (I appreciate the SC scheduling this). They did a visual inspection per the recall instructions, then decided the harness was in good shape and therefore added a protection to it. Note that they did not replace the harness or fix the coax cable. Given that the camera was going out frequently (and currently not working), I was obviously disappointed. Kind of like closing the barn door after the horse has left...

The Tesla service rep stated that they only do a visual inspection (of the wire, not just the rubber exterior armor *). Furthermore, if the issue was due to the recall problem the camera would go out completely, rather than be intermittent. I understand that she is just the messenger and the SC must follow recall procedures, but it's nonetheless a bummer.

I fully admit the problem could be unrelated to the recall (maybe a loose connection between the camera and the coax cable, or maybe the camera doesn't like movement?). I may just ask them to replace the harness and give me the old one. Then I'll test it to see if it's failed, and if it occurred at the bend -- I still suspect that it's due to repeated opening/closing of the trunk (since it goes out when I slowly move the trunk up and down).

I'd appreciate it if anyone else facing this issue posts their observations. Specifically, if you successfully had this problem resolved by the recall did you have:
  • Intermittent or total failure of the backup camera
  • Visible damage of the rubber armor
I'm spending too much energy on this, and part of this is venting, but I hope this helps someone else.

* Re-reading the recall (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V00D-7649.pdf), it looks like there's a visual inspection of the rubber armor for damage and a check to see if the coax cable has a yellow stripe. Both indicate a replacement.

Every time I speak to Bristol SC about it they simply tell me the parts aren’t available.

I get the sense that rather than contact me when they do come in I’d have to luck out and ask them at the right time instead. That was my experience during the Type-2 cable shortage in 2020, only constant nagging actually got me one.

My rear camera is working again at the moment but oddly wasn't all the time I was towing as I like to keep an eye on the trailer.
Its pretty obvious that if intermittently failing, the inner core of the shielded camera cable which is probably solid on the cables with a yellow stripe will not magically repair but may be forced to connect using the protective cover which spreads the bend as I can see from mine that it is focussed to one part of the harness. Hardly a permanent fix.
BTW, what is this O ring that others have had replaced?

My rear camera is working again at the moment but oddly wasn't all the time I was towing as I like to keep an eye on the trailer.
Its pretty obvious that if intermittently failing, the inner core of the shielded camera cable which is probably solid on the cables with a yellow stripe will not magically repair but may be forced to connect using the protective cover which spreads the bend as I can see from mine that it is focussed to one part of the harness. Hardly a permanent fix.
Even with the recall fix, the bend is pretty dramatic at one obvious point. Hopefully the engineers have calculated the max repeated bend radius and constructed the new guard appropriately. The rest of the cable is probably OK so it may be considered a permanent fix. If you have the yellow coax and subject to the recall, it will get replaced, but if you have the black one, it may not (even if failing, like mine).

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I forgot to update on my proactive recall regarding this. The ranger was coming to replace my 3rd charge port door, which he didn't end up doing because he had the wrong part. I had some other issues which were closed because they were firmware related. But the service also booked in the harness check.

He had a look and said the harness didn't need replacing, which is great because I have an aftermarket power tailgate and it would have complicated things. He did say that he would have been happy to remove any unfamiliar cabling but wouldn't refit them for obvious reasons.

Here's what the 'minor' fix looks like:
73E69261-3408-4460-AC4C-9957AC2EEA36.jpeg

The check was done without removing the plastic panel on the tailgate, so if the minor fix is needed it looks like a straightforward job.

• Informative
Reactions: aspec818 and Durzel
I forgot to update on my proactive recall regarding this. The ranger was coming to replace my 3rd charge port door, which he didn't end up doing because he had the wrong part. I had some other issues which were closed because they were firmware related. But the service also booked in the harness check.

He had a look and said the harness didn't need replacing, which is great because I have an aftermarket power tailgate and it would have complicated things. He did say that he would have been happy to remove any unfamiliar cabling but wouldn't refit them for obvious reasons.

Here's what the 'minor' fix looks like:View attachment 858059

The check was done without removing the plastic panel on the tailgate, so if the minor fix is needed it looks like a straightforward job.
Can you remind me what month/year is your car, please?

Did he say it didn’t need replacing because it wasn’t weakened, or because you had the newer cable that only requires the minor fix?

Can you remind me what month/year is your car, please?

Did he say it didn’t need replacing because it wasn’t weakened, or because you had the newer cable that only requires the minor fix?
August '20.

A visual inspection was done and he determined a change wasn't required. Tbh I didn't ask if he was inspecting the condition of the loom or looking for something specific. From what he did say, it sounds like he was just looking for damage to the loom.

Reactions: Durzel
The Ranger (really nice guy) has just been and replaced the camera on mine. Also replaced the boot handle which I guess is part of it or maybe it broke during replacement. The car had logged a fault with the camera.
£140 for the camera and £65 for the handle but FOC warranty.

Reactions: init6
My boot has suddenly stopped working, I have booked a Mobile Service appointment, they have told me that they have ordered a new lock mechanism and a new wiring harness as these are the two most likely reasons. As far as I know, my camera is fine, but as mentioned previously I'm never in the car when I open the boot, so no idea if the camera flickers when the boot opens.