Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone has the LFP SR+ in Canada yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the German cars MINI/BMW for the last 15 years. This experience could not be further from that. It is slightly scary and cult like. WTF I know that a Saturday Night Live Celeb is in charge but really this is a basic manufacturing process not "Brain Surgery"! Maybe this is part of being cutting edge...but then again if we were talking compressed air cars then I would understand.

As more people are getting their Model 3 SR+ in Canada this quarter, has anyone received one with a LFP battery? Is there a way to tell if you have a LFP or NMC battery, I'm currently scheduled to get one this Saturday.

I know there are benefits to the LFP chemistry for charging and battery longevity, but is anyone though about the impact adding 130kg of weight to a model 3 will have on driving / efficiency / range? That's some 8% of the weight of the car.

I know there are benefits to the LFP chemistry for charging and battery longevity, but is anyone though about the impact adding 130kg of weight to a model 3 will have on driving / efficiency / range? That's some 8% of the weight of the car.
You can watch this video for the comparison.

TLDR - LFP battery with made in china (MIC) car is about the same as ones from Fremont with the NMC battery

Looks like LFP battery (manufactured by CATL) is now being offered in North America, as an incentive to get the car sooner. I have an SR+ on order and received the following email from Tesla last night.

We are contacting you about your Model 3 Standard Range Plus, currently estimated for delivery near the end of the year. We’d like to offer you the opportunity to receive your car even sooner. Due to limited supply and strong customer demand, we are introducing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus battery pack, which we already released in Europe and Asia, to North America. This battery has a range of 253 miles (est.).

Looks like LFP battery (manufactured by CATL) is now being offered in North America, as an incentive to get the car sooner. I have an SR+ on order and received the following email from Tesla last night.

We are contacting you about your Model 3 Standard Range Plus, currently estimated for delivery near the end of the year. We’d like to offer you the opportunity to receive your car even sooner. Due to limited supply and strong customer demand, we are introducing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus battery pack, which we already released in Europe and Asia, to North America. This battery has a range of 253 miles (est.).
Nice, when did you order/what's your delivery date? Which major city are you near?

Nice, when did you order/what's your delivery date? Which major city are you near?

@nexxco @amit.agar18 more info:

Reactions: nexxco
I didn't think Giga Nevada produced any LFP batteries yet - only the NCA (for vehicles) and the NMC (for powerwalls etc)
Anyway, the whole cars are still made in Fremont given their VIN starting code (of the ones so far with LFP) are still 5YJ.

I wonder why the China cars are being diverted to NA. Is there a problem with battery production in Giga Nevada?

I didn't think Giga Nevada produced any LFP batteries yet - only the NCA (for vehicles) and the NMC (for powerwalls etc)
Anyway, the whole cars are still made in Fremont given their VIN starting code (of the ones so far with LFP) are still 5YJ.

@Vawlkus I think you misunderstood and that @JJHawk has the correct understanding: the LFP batteries are being made in China but the vehicles are still being built at Fremont for NA.

@Vawlkus I think you misunderstood and that @JJHawk has the correct understanding: the LFP batteries are being made in China but the vehicles are still being built at Fremont for NA.
Oh I understood that. Why China built batteries are in Fremont built cars is what puzzles me. Fremont should get all their batteries from Giga Nevada, not have them shipped over from Giga Shanghai.

Oh I understood that. Why China built batteries are in Fremont built cars is what puzzles me. Fremont should get all their batteries from Giga Nevada, not have them shipped over from Giga Shanghai.
Supply chains for common items are having issues, it should not be hard to understand that raw materials for batteries, especially when the big 3 are getting into the EV game, are getting longer and longer.

Supply chains for common items are having issues, it should not be hard to understand that raw materials for batteries, especially when the big 3 are getting into the EV game, are getting longer and longer.

@Qaazon right. By sourcing some of the SR+ battery packs from overseas, this allows Nevada to focus on putting out as many packs as possible for the higher profit versions (LR and even more so the P). Companies have to adapt very quickly right now in order to minimize disruptions to their deliveries, and that's exactly what Tesla is doing with this move.

Reactions: NB Hip fan