Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a ChargePoint membership card in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chargepoint seems to be the most popular around Vancouver. The AddEnergie card is good for some rec centres in town but I got their card mainly for outside of Vancouver and have found it to be useful (necessary) in places such as Hope and Salmon Arm. SunCountry chargers tend to be outside of Vancouver and, unlike the others, are usually installed as single chargers. Last summer I waited for more than 4 hours at the sole SC charger in Kamloops. I have the Greenlots RFID card as well but am not sure when Tesla will be shipping its ChademO adapter, or when their superchargers are likely to go online in Hope, Kamloops, Revelstoke or Lake Louise.

Just received my Semacharge card in the mail today ... but looks like I probably won't need it much. I ordered it because they installed to charging bays in the lot at my office a month or so back. I figured to be ready for "power on" by getting the card ordered. As it turns out, they haven't activated the card reader. Just plug in and the charging starts. I don't think you need the card at any of the other Sema stations in Van area either.

I think I'll apply for an addEnergie card - looks like I'll be spending some time in Vic later on this year for work. Seems they're headed pretty strongly in that direction with the public chargers. Also, I take my kid to the West Van pool sometimes, so it'll be handy there.

- - - Updated - - -

I must add ... it's a bit frustrating that these charger companies aren't yet on board with reading NFC via smartphones. If one encounters a charger but no membership ... download an app, enter account setup/payment info and bam. Ready to swipe the phone for charging.

-
Greenlots, signed up but they don't use a card, just the charging station number against their app, and I haven't seen a charger yet

As far as I know Greenlots is used only by the CHAdeMO stations the B.C. government has installed. There's one in Duncan and one in Nanaimo, and supposedly 13 in total in B.C.

http://greenlots.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BC-Hydro-Debuts-Canadas-First-Fast-Charger-Network-Selects-Greenlots-SKY™-to...-SAN-FRANCISCO-Oct.pdf

None of these are of any use whatsoever for a Model S until Tesla makes a CHAdeMO adapter available. An adapter has been shown as being "available soon" for at least 4 months now.

During a road trip, my stop in Merritt was the first time that I wish I has the CHAdeMO adapter. In the photo, I'm using a SunCountry CS90 charger. I'm still not convinced the adapter will be worth $1000, but I'm also not impressed with the Tesla Supercharger situation in Canada. I doubt the route to Alberta will be completed on schedule. With regards to the Chargepoint topic, of course they are slow, but I can't complain about 350kWh of free electricity in my first month.

20140423_063756.jpg