Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a timeframe for gen 3 wall charger load sharing FW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they each have their own 60 amp breaker AND the panel the breakers are in has the capacity to serve that load(and so on, back to the main panel!), there's no need to share the load.

Note that unless you are in an enormous house(with more than 200 amp service coming into the main panel), it is unlikely that main or subpanel will reliably serve two simultaneous 48 amp loads continuously along with the rest of typical house loads. You can't just hang a 125 amp subpanel off a main panel and start sucking 96 amps out of it continuously because the subpanel breaker/wiring is rated for 125 amps.

As far as one or two breakers, the answer is you need one(duplex) breaker for each of the Gen3 HPWCs. Whether those live in your main panel or a (presumably garage) subpanel is up to you and your electrician. If they are in a subpanel in the garage and you want them to both be 48 amp capable(60 amp breakers), you need the breaker in the MAIN panel and wire feeding the subpanel to be at least 120A(probably 125, since I don't think 120 amp breakers are made). Of course, you gotta add any other simultaneous garage loads to that calculation. If you had power-sharing configured, you would STILL want 60 amp breakers, but you could tell the HPWCs to not take more than a total of N amps simultaneously, and could therefore downsize the wiring and breaker going to the subpanel accordingly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
So I have 1 wall connector on the way but do plan to later install another. I am confused on the wiring.

Each needs their own 60a breaker?
They need a subpanel to share one 100a breaker?

Should I wait to have both installed? (One would be for the CT, which also brings the risk of a larger connector being released).

This seems to suggest that both are possible.

But as the comment above says, if each can have their own 60a breaker and code is met, then there is no need to share the load.
If you have a sub panel with a 100A breaker you can't support (2) 60A circuits, only (2) 50A circuits or ((2) 40A circuits and (1) 20A circuit). If you want to have (2) 60A circuits the sub panel would need to be rated for 125A.

The load sharing feature of the Gen3 Wall Connector will enable up to (4) Gen3 Wall Connectors to share a single circuit. (I don't know if the shared circuit can be rated for 100A.) In a home charging scenario it is unlikely that you would need more than (2) Gen3 Wall Connectors.

The maximum for a Gen3 Wall Connector is 240V and 48 amps. This requires a 60 amp circuit. Unless Tesla releases a new Wall Connector for the CT home charging will be limited to 48A.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I probably should add that if we expect to have loadsharing working on Gen3's someday, there's no reason NOT to wire/breaker them both up for 60 amp service(each) and then provision them each to only use 30 amps of that until loadsharing becomes possible. IIRC, that might be a mild bending of the rules for a subpanel, if you had the panel being fed by like 75 amps.

I probably should add that if we expect to have loadsharing working on Gen3's someday, there's no reason NOT to wire/breaker them both up for 60 amp service(each) and then provision them each to only use 30 amps of that until loadsharing becomes possible. IIRC, that might be a mild bending of the rules for a subpanel, if you had the panel being fed by like 75 amps.
It's already working now.

If you are planning to load share, the main breaker feeding the sub panel only needs to be the max you can do that is under 125A. If you can do 125A then there is no need to share. If however, you are limited to say a 60A sub panel then you’d put 60A in the main panel feeding 2 60A breakers in the sub panel for each HPWC and then limit them to use 60A (48A) max combined. That is load sharing. If each one can run at max amperage then there’s no need to share. You also save money because you are only wiring for 60A back to the main and not 125A.

And I wonder if for code purposes the 2 60A breakers for the HPWC need to be in their own sub panel. For instance, you have an 80A sub panel in the garage. You have 2 or 3 15/20A circuits for lights and plugs and then the 2 60A for HPWC. I don’t know if that passes code by saying the units will limit to 60A max. If you have a couple power tools running at 15A each and lights are on and charging at the max you’d likely be overloading the panel. If they are separate there is now way they can draw over the 60A or you’d trip the main breaker in the sub panel or the breaker in the next panel upstream. Be interesting to see how these are required to be wired now that the firmware is out in the wild.

In our case, we do not have the panel capacity for 2 50A circuits. We looked at upgrading to 400A service, but it was too expensive.

The solution we have is 2 chargers, each with a 50A circuit to the panel. But we rely on programming to limit the load to 50A (really 40A charge) between the 2. Before load sharing we programmed the chargers to split roughly 2/3 and 1/3. Now that we have load sharing we share 40A of charging max.

This setup allows us to be ready for full current on both chargers if we ever upgrade the panel (which we will have to do to add solar). There are several ways to wire the 2 chargers to meet code and be ready for future upgrades. We already had 1 charger with a 50A breaker installed 6 years ago for a Model S, so this was also the cheapest option.