Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a window randomly roll down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I figured it out.

I had my door handled "adjusted" a few weeks ago because there was a delay in opening the doors. There are some simple adjustments made by a tech to fix the issue I was having..

Last night I noticed the only window that wasn't down is not rolling down at all. I couldn't lower it last night while driving. The key was in my breast pocket of my jacket. I can't remember if I hung my jacket up or left it next to the bed where the dogs have a tendency to lay on my clothes / stuff at night. So it was either a button push or a low 12v battery.

Either way, I'm yet again disappointed at service. I opened an issue on Saturday morning. I got a call from my local service center saying someone would look at it and get back to me ASAP. then again later that day saying it might be a day or two. It is now thursday and I haven't heard a damn thing. Not surprised.

I had this issue on our first S. the left rear window would go down spontaneously. after quite a bit of digging around they determined it was a faulty wire and fixed it. we moved on to the newer S shortly after that so I don't know if it was truly taken care of.

That used to happen to us too. Most of the time it was my knee. However just before the end of our Western US Tour last May - June the rear driver window just dropped all the way down.
Had to wedge it closed with a damp newspaper on the inside for the last 2 days of the trip. SC fixed it Monday morning after we got back. Several weeks later it happened again. When it went in that time SC said they just got a re-engineered clip that was causing the problem. Haven't had a problem with it since! Well, except for my skinny knobby knees... :redface:

It happens to me while driving in the past 2 days. Window of front passenger open randomly. On both times, it happens concurrently with auto-adjust light in the screen panel (around 7 AM) when the ambiance is bright enough. Anyone has the same issue? I am 100% positive is not my knee.

I've had my drivers window roll down a couple of times when it was very cold, very dry (low humidity), I was wearing high static clothing (wool sweater or gym clothes), and gave the exterior door handle a good static discharge shock. The zap seems to trigger the window down switch.

I came out to the garage few days ago to find all 4 windows had rolled down. This was the third time this happened. Jonathan at the Rockville Service Center checked the logs and found no error. However, he did say that Tesla has had an issue (bug) with the car sometimes thinking that the key fob button to open all windows is pressed when walking away from the car. As a result, they said that version 6 of the firmware will ignore the command to open all windows from the key fob until they are able to figure out this bug. Don't know whether there is any connection between this bug and yours, of just one window opening.

It could be that your 12v battery is on its way out. That happened to me, and that was the cause( some sort of failsafe to ensure ability to enter/exit? ... but they replace the battery under warranty.. no further issues.

Is the 12v battery issue that seems so prevalent a legacy issue, as in it doesn't happen to currently being produced cars? Or is it an issue that any new owner could likely face?

I came out to the garage few days ago to find all 4 windows had rolled down. This was the third time this happened. Jonathan at the Rockville Service Center checked the logs and found no error. However, he did say that Tesla has had an issue (bug) with the car sometimes thinking that the key fob button to open all windows is pressed when walking away from the car. As a result, they said that version 6 of the firmware will ignore the command to open all windows from the key fob until they are able to figure out this bug. Don't know whether there is any connection between this bug and yours, of just one window opening.
So they are going to take yet another feature totally away from everyone because they need time to figure out a fix for a few random users???!!! If this is true it would seem that Tesla is not learning lessons very well.

This seems like what has happened with my car, the two times that this has occurred, since all of the windows rolled down. Because you can precondition the car I'm not sure how much I would use the key-fob-window-roll-down feature, but I haven't really had a chance to try with the cold weather either. Here's hoping they can find and fix the bug.

This seems like what has happened with my car, the two times that this has occurred, since all of the windows rolled down. Because you can precondition the car I'm not sure how much I would use the key-fob-window-roll-down feature, but I haven't really had a chance to try with the cold weather either. Here's hoping they can find and fix the bug.
Who's to say it wasn't just a pair of too-tight jeans in the midst of a crouch??This could easily press and hold the fob button.

It just happened to us as well - we parked and went out to a grocery store. It was raining outside so we were sure the windows were closed. We also turned around after walking away a bit because another car was having problems starting and making a huge racket (by that time we were far out of key fob range). Our car was definitely off, no lights on, windows closed, so we went into the store.

When we got back, the lights were on and the passenger side window was rolled down. Inside the car the console & dash were on.

We both had our keys with us - it's not something we did. One window definitely just randomly opened and the car turned on.

So they are going to take yet another feature totally away from everyone because they need time to figure out a fix for a few random users???!!! If this is true it would seem that Tesla is not learning lessons very well.

I don't know. I don't think I've ever used this "feature" except to test it. But even if it was a feature that I used all the time, I'd rather they take it away (for a while) than risk having a window or windows open unexpectedly while the car was unattended in a public place. I think it's the right decision.

I don't know. I don't think I've ever used this "feature" except to test it. But even if it was a feature that I used all the time, I'd rather they take it away (for a while) than risk having a window or windows open unexpectedly while the car was unattended in a public place. I think it's the right decision.

I would actually prefer that button to be programmable. I don't care about it doing a window down - I'd much rather prefer that pressing/holding it moves my seat settings etc. to one of the assigned profiles.

Either way, pressing the button accidentally definitely wasn't the case for me. It wasn't the button that caused one window to open and the car to turn on. (The button doesn't do that).

Today when I was in the meeting, my local Tesla service center called and asked me for more detail. I find it interesting as I never made a formal call to them but they knew my handle and contact no. I posted my issue and it seems they knew of this on going problem. I will take my car this Wed and have it check as I need tire rotation anyway. I will let you know their investigation.

That happened to me once as well. I thought somehow I may have rolled it down by accident. That would be unlikely as it was below freezing outside and I would've noticed the window down very quickly. Furthermore, this was in an overnight parking garage. I walked away...far away and spent the night out of range of the car.

My rear passenger side window rolled partway down today, apparently while parked (or while parking). Once back in the car I tried to get my knee to hit the window button, but I couldn't hit it in my usual driving position.

First time out of the garage since latest software update that failed the first time around.