Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have info on if the Corded Charger will come back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t know if they plan to bring it back, but it is not cost effective when compared to the wall connector since the hardware needed for a 14-50 solution is more than what is needed for a wall connector.

14-50 outlet is $80, GFCI breaker is $150+, corded connector is $200, plus say $35 for a cable management system totals $465

Wall connector is $425 plus a $15 breaker totals $440.

Reactions: tm1v2 and ss71
Upvote 0
I have a pre-existing nema 14-50 outlet in my garage. Like OP, I am also looking for corded charger to be back in stock. 40mile/hr charging is going to be nice.

But it's never in stock...

The out-of-stock corded mobile connector with 14-50 plug is $200. The regular mobile connector with 14-50 and 5-15 plugs and capability to use other plugs is $230. Seems like the latter is not much more expensive, but has more potential capabilities of outlets that can be charged from.

Upvote 0
Don’t know if they plan to bring it back, but it is not cost effective when compared to the wall connector since the hardware needed for a 14-50 solution is more than what is needed for a wall connector.

14-50 outlet is $80, GFCI breaker is $150+, corded connector is $200, plus say $35 for a cable management system totals $465

Wall connector is $425 plus a $15 breaker totals $440.
Your prices are rather exaggerated. A Bryant 9450FR is about $46 at https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Receptacle-Single-49YY93 (and there are other non-Leviton outlets that cost less). GFCI breakers depend on the panel, although it looks like many of them are more like $100. A third party cable management system is much less than $35 if you need one.

For someone who has nothing to start with (since Teslas now no longer come with a mobile connector), the mobile connector 14-50 outlet solution is likely to be slightly less expensive, but probably not that big a difference. The main advantage of that solution is having a mobile connector to use for other outlets (e.g. dryer outlets in vacation homes, outlets at campsites and RV parks, etc.), but that advantage is much less with the corded mobile connector than with the regular one that can take various plugs. The main advantage of a wall connector solution is possibly higher charging rates and some other wall connector features.

Upvote 0
Your prices are rather exaggerated

Depends where you live. The prices I quoted are typical and have been quoted by many others. If you can find a better deal, that is great. If someone already has a quality 14-50 outlet (not a Leviton) and a GFCI breaker then obviously the cost is less than the wall connector, otherwise it just depends on what the parts will cost.

Point is too many people think a 14-50 outlet is a cheap solution when it is not. They often think a $15 Leviton outlet and a $15 breaker will do the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
I bought the regular wall connector and wired it with a 50 amp range cord like this one so that I could plug it into my existing 14-50 outlet.

This works best for my daily needs while leaving the outlet easily available for a 240v garage tool, or if I have any visitors with another EV type that I could offer the outlet for them to charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 355rockit
Upvote 0
Isn't the corded mobile connector capable of 40A where the regular UMC is limited to 32A? It looks like the round-bag older item that came with the Model S back in the day.
Yes, https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/NA_Corded_Mobile_Connector_Owners_Manual.pdf says 40A. However, since some 14-50 (and 6-50) outlets are on 40A (instead of 50A) circuits (because there are no 14-40 or 6-40 outlets), that could increase the risk of mistakes plugging it into a 40A circuit.

There does not seem to be a way to set to to a lower current, so you would have to limit the current at the car if plugging it into a 40A circuit.

Upvote 0
Yes, https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/NA_Corded_Mobile_Connector_Owners_Manual.pdf says 40A. However, since some 14-50 (and 6-50) outlets are on 40A (instead of 50A) circuits (because there are no 14-40 or 6-40 outlets), that could increase the risk of mistakes plugging it into a 40A circuit.

There does not seem to be a way to set to to a lower current, so you would have to limit the current at the car if plugging it into a 40A circuit.
@3sr+buyer If someone bothers to buy a 40A capable UMC, for charging on a 50A circuit, presumably they actually have a 50A circuit. Or access to one somewhere.

If you go plugging into random NEMA 14-50 that you know nothing about, that's a potential safety issue no matter what breaker is behind it. If you don't even know what size breaker a circuit is using, then you clearly don't know the condition of the circuit.

There's all sorts of sketchy wiring out there. I'm not saying people should never take that risk! That's your own decision based on your own circumstances. But besides the likelihood that a 40A breaker would trip if you actually charged at 40A, why else would it be a special concern?

If you have familiarity with the circuit and therefore know it's 40A, then just like you said, you set your car to draw 32A. "There does not seem to be way" - you literally described the way. 🙂

Upvote 0
I bought the regular wall connector and wired it with a 50 amp range cord like this one so that I could plug it into my existing 14-50 outlet.

That's a code violation because it does not comply with the manufacturer's instructions.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 06.40.38.png

Upvote 0
I'm not even going to pretend like I'm an electrician but I'm really happy with my charging solution. I didn't go with the wall charger as I wanted something portable and really have zero need for the added speed it brings. It's on a 50A circuit but I still have the car set to charge at only 32A since the electrician said it's best to keep the utilization of the line at 80% or less of the max output. That would put it at 40A but since I also take this charger on trips too and plug into hotel/RV 14-50 plugs I wanted to be safer and just assume 40A they are max of 40A.

Big expense for me was getting the line to my garage ($1K).

Attachments

• charger.jpg
    charger.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
I'm not even going to pretend like I'm an electrician but I'm really happy with my charging solution. I didn't go with the wall charger as I wanted something portable and really have zero need for the added speed it brings. It's on a 50A circuit but I still have the car set to charge at only 32A since the electrician said it's best to keep the utilization of the line at 80% or less of the max output. That would put it at 40A but since I also take this charger on trips too and plug into hotel/RV 14-50 plugs I wanted to be safer and just assume 40A they are max of 40A.

Big expense for me was getting the line to my garage ($1K).
That’s the UMC. It maxes out at 32A anyways. No way to pull 40A with that.

Upvote 0
Tesla Wall connector is great if every EV you will own in the future is Tesla only (...)

Meanwhile NEMA 14-50 works with every EV brand ... not just Tesla.
Perhaps you missed the news, but in the past two months, Ford, GM, Rivian, Volvo, Polestar, and Mercedes-Benz have said their vehicles will charge using Tesla Superchargers in Spring 2024 with an adapter and starting in 2025, they will comes with Tesla's NACS connector. Other automakers are considering switching to NACS as well. The SAE will be codifying Tesla's NACS as an official standard and third party charger manufacturers will be supporting NACS.

It's a safe bet that any Tesla EVSE purchased from 2012 to today will charge most any new EV you purchase 18 months from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0