Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the new heavier rotors that fix squeal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped the car off this morning and received a fairly new P85+ loaner. Immediately noticed the brakes felt better than mine. Hard to explain, but there was no grabiness at low speeds. And no squeal at all. The loaner was new enough to already have the updated rotors from the factory.

Got the car back a couple of hours ago and now my brakes feel exactly like the loaner. Very, very nice. And no squeal.

This was my first trip to the SC and they get an A+. Perfect service.

Changed out to the new rotors after light squeal at every stop. No squealing since rotor change.
Also, the bedding in doesn't work for this issue. Tried it and no luck. Just lived with it until he annual service last month and that solved the issue. All under warranty. No questions asked.

Sometimes there's no substitute for cubic inches (of Iron). :smile:

The theory is that very small bits of air are trapped between the pad and rotor and they expand with heat. This allows a partial air hockey affect and can get the pad vibrating. Drilled and slotted rotors are designed to allow this air to escape and thus improve pad to rotor contract and brake performance.

In some instances, the above referenced vibration actually excites the whole rotor/rim combination and gets it singing. Many things are "normally" done to affect the natural frequency like adding lubricant to the back of the pads (decouples pads from calipers) or adding weights like ears on the brake pads themselves to change their mass.

Anyway, that's the most plausible explanation I have heard. This is the first time I've heard of someone changing the combined mass of the rotor/rim to affect that system's fundamental frequency. The pads are still exciting the system but the system is now excitable at a different frequency :) Chalk it up to another of Tesla's return to fundamental principals. Understand and fix with the emphasis on understanding.

@Mnx
@Merrill

How do wheels have anything to do with brake rotors, pads and squeaks ???
good question, all it can tell you is that when I had the 19's (which I had for 6 months) I had no squeak, once I had the Service center install my 21's the squeak appeared. If it is harmonics then I think it has to do with the configuration of the turbine wheels as a relationship with the rotors. The 19's are more of an open wheel vs the turbines being more closed. It would be interesting to hear from an owner that has the noise that has 19's.

good question, all it can tell you is that when I had the 19's (which I had for 6 months) I had no squeak, once I had the Service center install my 21's the squeak appeared. If it is harmonics then I think it has to do with the configuration of the turbine wheels as a relationship with the rotors. The 19's are more of an open wheel vs the turbines being more closed. It would be interesting to hear from an owner that has the noise that has 19's.

I have 19s so can comment but don't know if it's the same sound. Mine is a typical brake squeak/squeal at low speeds (~7mph until stopped). It does not occur at other speeds and is dependent, to a certain extent, on the braking force. Soft braking introduces the squeak, hard braking does not.

I have 19s so can comment but don't know if it's the same sound. Mine is a typical brake squeak/squeal at low speeds (~7mph until stopped). It does not occur at other speeds and is dependent, to a certain extent, on the braking force. Soft braking introduces the squeak, hard braking does not.

I have the same experience as JohnQ. Service has always said it is normal. My car's 1 yr old now, still squealing at most low speed stops.

My brakes (21s) only squeak at around 0-1mph, usually only when rolling out of the garage. They squeaked for a short bit when I first had it (about a week or so), but I think they're well seated now. No squeaks for me. 13,000+ miles now.

Thought I would update this thread on the break squeak, went in yesterday to the sc and they said there was a service bulletin on the brake squeak. This is not the normal squeak you have heard before from the brake pads, it is only when coming to a stop at the last point before you are completely stopped. It is more of a harmonics between the rotors and aluminum wheels. They replaced the rotors with an updated version and so far all noise is gone.

After 13k miles, I started getting a really high pitched squeal consistently from the front brakes as I was getting close to stopping - maybe from 10 mph down to zero. It was consistent for the whole week. It tried doing some hard braking to see if that would somehow fix it and it didn't. I took it into the service center this morning and they immediately replaced the front rotors. Seems like this is a known issue and everything is perfect since driving out of there this morning.