Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone having a hard time sleeping the past couple weeks because of TSLA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
So it's Sunday night and I enjoyed the past two days of having the stock market closed. The past few weeks have been a crazy ride and a stressful one. Waking up at 4am (PST) to catch the pre-market and checking stock prices every 10 minutes throughout the entire day and into the post-market.

The price movements have been so volatile, it's affected my mood (overall I'm thankful because stock/options have gone up but there's a sense of anxiety as well).

I'm a little wary of the new week starting. So many things can happen with TSLA.

Just curious if anybody is feeling like this.

I'm totally with you. I have decided to realize profits, and now I am anticipating what will happen this week - will it sky to $110? Will I have regrets? Or will it dip into the $80s forcing me to seriously reconsider entering right away again? It is stressful indeed.

+1 here... I'm not getting up that early but I am having some insomnia at times over thinking this whole ride we've been on and my position in it... Certainly obsessing durning the day about the stock price, keeping my login going on E*Trade so I can watch it in real time...

im sure ill settle down at some point... LOL

Jeff

Yeah i've been getting 3-5 hours of sleep each night recently because of tesla (and the market). I keep on checking it throughout the day every minute or two during meetings or in between experiments when I'm working in lab. Maybe if I didn't have so much riding on it, I'd get better sleep.

So it's Sunday night and I enjoyed the past two days of having the stock market closed. The past few weeks have been a crazy ride and a stressful one. Waking up at 4am (PST) to catch the pre-market and checking stock prices every 10 minutes throughout the entire day and into the post-market.

The price movements have been so volatile, it's affected my mood (overall I'm thankful because stock/options have gone up but there's a sense of anxiety as well).

I'm a little wary of the new week starting. So many things can happen with TSLA.

Just curious if anybody is feeling like this.

Basics of investing... Level of success is based on your level of risk. Don't risk it it you can't take it. I was in the same boat as you guys, but it's real simple... If you can't take it, get out. It isn't worth your health (mentally and physically).

I'm totally with you. I have decided to realize profits, and now I am anticipating what will happen this week - will it sky to $110? Will I have regrets? Or will it dip into the $80s forcing me to seriously reconsider entering right away again? It is stressful indeed.

I thought about realizing some profits to help with the stress but thought I would be in the same situation as you, wondering all the "what ifs." It's all money I can lose but the money is in there so I can afford a Model S, if it doesn't do well then no Model S for me, and that would just be sad! haha. I think what I need to do is whittle down the amount of cash in options some more. What would help the most for me is I need to move out the expiration date for them all to JAN15 so there's more time for TSLA to go up in price. I really believe in TSLA so I'm not too anxious about the final direction of TSLA's share price, just the timing for it to get there.

Once Elon is done making announcements after the next 2 weeks (?) maybe it will settle down a little more, maybe not.

Last edited:
My sleep hasn't been disturbed yet, but I've been pretty distracted during some days. Was really hard to decide whether to take some profits or sit tight. For now I've concluded after some hard thinking that I'm keeping my money where my mouth is and not selling.

Yep it 4:30am PST, and I've been up for almost 1 hour now. Anyway lots of stuff to catch up, other than just the stock price.
After trying out a few strategy last couple of weeks, one way to reduce the stress is to think ahead of the market open, place your orders and go with them, Trying to catch a few dollars up and down, and try to catch the top or buy at bottom is guaranteed to make you unhappy, even though you've made a great deal of money.
BTW, I use TD ameritrade. Since my holding are mostly options and I need trailing stop, they upgrade me to use the advanced version of ThinkorSwim. It is quite powerful, now I can do condition like if TSLA <80, sell a put @80 something like that. So if your brokerage does not allow you to place the order to catch the market condition, then move to other firm so you can be freed from the screen.

After my rolling my initial options for massive gains while still being long in TSLA i've slept way better than before. Getting married soon and over spent on my honeymoon budget but with the TSLA gains, i feel totally fine. Going away pretty much for free. And like i said i'm still long with more options so i couldn't be happier to be in a company i fully believe in. Luckily i'm on the east coast though so no need to wake up too early :)

I've been buying TSLA since March 2011. Had 108k shares with avg buy price of 30. Sold all of them on Apr 22 at $50. Missed the jump by two weeks after waiting two years.. Guess how I sleep :)

Probably as well as someone that made 2.1m on their investment. Not too bad! I have to think that if you play the what-if game in stock trading with any kind of regularity you end up making future decisions based on emotion which is never good.

I've been buying TSLA since March 2011. Had 108k shares with avg buy price of 30. Sold all of them on Apr 22 at $50. Missed the jump by two weeks after waiting two years.. Guess how I sleep :)

Wow, that's painful. If TSLA is $1000 in 15 years, those 108k shares would be worth $100m.

But as Mike K says, $2.1m gain on a $3.2m investment in 2 years is not shabby.

Last edited:
3.5 years ago, I used to day trade gold futures. Over the course of ~20 trading days, I doubled my initial investment. But every single day, I was on my phone during classes looking at live streams from COMEX for the current month gold futures contracts. The only break I got was the one hour a day that the futures markets would be closed, during which I pretty much did all of my hw, ate dinner, and watched TV. I tried to close out most of my investments before going to bed, but sometimes that didnt happen, either way, I barely got 5 hours of sleep/day during that month.
I made a lot of money, but it really affects the lack of sleep really affects your critical thinking abilities and reasoning. You end up making trades that you wouldn't have otherwise, and behave in weird ways because of the stress. I felt like I was missing a piece of me when I wasn't in front of my computer watching the markets, or on my phone trading (I used to execute 10+ trades on some of the more volatile days).

So I closed up shop, and cashed out and didn't trade after that. If I had, I probably would have made millions by now, but I would have probably flunked out of college doing so, and not gotten any sleep.

I invested in TSLA ~3 months ago after putting down my reservation in January. I only put in the money I could afford to lose ($1500) and invested it in a split between short term (Jun) and long term (Jan '14) options. As the bull run began, I kept on rolling up my strikes, and moving around the months etc. and now have made 10x on my initial investment (or to put it another way 14% of my car is payed for). All of the 10%+ days have been a lot of fun but I keep on checking the prices too much for my own good. I barely did any studying this semester (but its okay, I'm graduating next week and already have a job so not a big deal). But for now, I think I'll just sit tight on the cash until the stock returns to earth or I finish building my trading algorithm.

Funny, this is my secret goal: to acquire 100k shares of TSLA, on the way running up to $1000 in ten years. the problem is I don't have $3m to do that in the beginning, when the call options are dirt cheap. Some people on SA points out that it could be the market was wrong priced the call so cheap. Apparently someone took advantage of that and made a killer trade:

Bet Against Tesla? 'Put' Your Shorts On - MoneyBeat - WSJ

In October, when shares traded at about $28 a share, one investor bought about 5,180 January $40 call options at a cost of about $2 a share. Data suggests that an investor exercised his options this week, buying 518,000 shares now worth about $46.6 million for $21.8 million.

Anyone has a guess on who that will be? An individual investor? an insider?

So far I am doing quite well, stay put and keeping most of the gain.

Wow, that's painful. If TSLA is $1000 in 15 years, those 108k shares would be worth $100m.

But as Mike K says, $2.1m gain on a $3.2m investment in 2 years is not shabby.

Tesla is a long-term project. A lot has happened the past two months that has taken a lot of the short term schwung out of the stock (more wide-spread understanding of the investment case + more normal short levels). Unless you are a wisened short-term trader, the decision now is whether to get in for the long haul (in which case you buy/hold the shares and forget them for the next couple of years) or whether to take the profits and turn elsewhere.

In both cases you can sleep well at night, as day-to-day fluctuations will not affect you. :)