Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone having a hard time sleeping the past couple weeks because of TSLA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its too early!!! although i wonder how / when i will ever get tsla to be "right-sized" in my investment portfolio now that the overweight alarms bells have silenced themselves from fatigue, I think that Q2 2013 is really not set to be a substantial up (unless Model S orders are >40k annually) or down (unless 6k units delivered with 0% margin) break point.

the easiest way I sleep is to consider the amount of technological and business disruption tesla is bringing onto the auto industry. out here in silicon valley it is what our dreams are made from.

The disruption was bound to happen in Silicon Valley. Thank god NUMMI was already there. When I worked for GM from 2000 to 2004 in Michigan, NUMMI was already the most advanced plant GM was involved with (owned and run by Toyota under joint venture with GM). It was THE assembly plant all GM plants were modeled after on production efficiency and we used it heavily to improve production efficiencies at the DeHam Cadillac plant in Detroit. The old country (Midwest) where cars are developed have gotten stuck in their ways and rusty...Happy to see next-gen manufacturing returning to my home state of California again.

Sleeping is not a problem for me (get it? haha). But I am having trouble focusing at work. I mean how can you focus at work when there are thousands of shares exchanging hands every second. I don't want to miss any of those transactions so I stare at the ticker all day.

It's like following TSLA has become a full-time job. If I was just in stocks, I don't think I'd be as involved. But holding options calls is another story.

Sleeping is not a problem for me (get it? haha). But I am having trouble focusing at work. I mean how can you focus at work when there are thousands of shares exchanging hands every second. I don't want to miss any of those transactions so I stare at the ticker all day.

Agreed, except I can't watch it all day. The 8 guys in my office have to share a computer for internet so I can't hog it all day, haha, but I am probably on it the most.

They don't get why I follow it so intently but when my paper profits + realized profits just over the last 7 months are greater than my yearly salary and my wife's yearly income combined...why do I even work? ;)

I'm lucky to be on this side of the Atlantic. NASDAQ opens 3.30 PM local time her, and closes at 10PM.... so less intereference with work except when I'm on call evening/night... Some important days though I get a lot of icey looks from the wifey for constantantly checking my phone and sneaking off to the computer :)
However, I sat down and schooled her a bit last week as well as showing her my options trading account. Now she doesn't complain as much. It's our money after all... :)

However, I sat down and schooled her a bit last week as well as showing her my options trading account. Now she doesn't complain as much. It's our money after all... :)

+1. Same here :D My wife actually knows more now about puts and calls and shorting than I did 5 months ago! She'll text me during her lunch and say things like "did you buy that dip this morning?" I'm so proud :)

It's like following TSLA has become a full-time job. If I was just in stocks, I don't think I'd be as involved. But holding options calls is another story.

It has. As I said before, the immediate effect and the long term potential of TSLA investment has grown to be more significant than a job, for quite some people. It certainly has for me a long time ago. Correspondingly, I have to spend the time when the money is. :)

Last edited:
+1. Same here :D My wife actually knows more now about puts and calls and shorting than I did 5 months ago! She'll text me during her lunch and say things like "did you buy that dip this morning?" I'm so proud :)

Mine played an audiobook chapter of Malcolm Gladwell's "What the dog saw" for me the other day, the one about Nassim Haleb and Black swan theory. I was quite happy about that. Have not gotten the "Did you buy on the dip?" texts yet :d

Great idea! Can you post a link to the channel please?

I just typed in "Warren Buffett" in YouTube and started to watch a bunch of the videos. I also filtered for long videos (20min+) to watch when working out or walking. He's quite entertaining to listen to. After about 20 or 30 of his interviews, his point of view really starts sinking in (at least for me).

I'm copying this from another thread as this seemed like the most correct bin.

austinEV I think you have a really good perspective on how shorts and the uninformed see things. Sometimes I think it is hard to believe that with all this amazing information on the forum that anyone would short the stock. However, when I look at how I react to tesla related articles, threads, or comment sections (other that TMC) I find the answer. Generally I spend about a minute browsing the content before I'm turned off from the ill informed comments or lack or research. It's almost a complete waste of my time to read these things... so when I turn the tables around that is probably how a short feels. They are so confident that they know what is going to happen that they can't even stand to read this forum, let alone have the patience to go through 509 pages of the "short term price movements" thread to get an idea of the company's potential.

It blows me away that some people actually have that mentality. We aren't playing with Monopoly money. I have found this board to be an excellent resource for all sorts of things related to the EV industry and, like others I was comfortable investing after having combed the pages and pages of info across the Board.

I've been to several Tesla stores, driven a few S' and talked to a number of owners. I am also confounded by some of the arguments that the naysayers make. They are incredibly ignorant and ill informed. That, to me is the hardest thing to understand about Tesla - How somebody can't see what is going on.

Moreover, I have this feeling that TMC has readership in the millions and everyone is reviewing all the Q2 projection threads and firing up their brokerage apps. While I don't actually believe that to be the case, I do at times feel like this is an online version of the Stonecutters or something.

Owning Tesla stock has affected my sleep but no regrets here. I bought majority of my Tesla stock holding in March, then added on to my position in April, May, June and July. I sold off some of my Australian stock and transferred money into Tesla. My stock purchases after the initial purchase in March were significantly influenced by investors on this forum and I am grateful to many here who shared their knowledge and experiences.
I live in Australia so the US exchanges open hours fall between 11:30pm and 6am Sydney time. I do not have any plans to sell my Tesla holdings soon so price volatility does not stress me but it does fascinate me. I do wake up few times a night to check the ticker on my ipad and then I go back to sleep. It is a very good feeling to wake up some time of the night and see Tesla go up or wake up in the morning and see all the gains. If I see dips I stop waking up and continue sleeping, but dips were rare and gains were frequent, so my sleep was often interrupted over the last 5 months and what a ride that was! Again, no regrets over lost sleep, quite the opposite, I wish I could replicate the experience with some other stock.

The thing is that most people should invest in index funds instead of individual stocks, say 60% in a stock index fund, and 40% in a bond index fund. If you have to do individual stocks, limit them to 10% of your total portfolio. As good as Tesla is as a company it is just one company and the uncompensated risk is too great just by itself. Don't let the quadrupling of its value ruin your investing discipline; that is my take-away message.

The thing is that most people should invest in index funds instead of individual stocks, say 60% in a stock index fund, and 40% in a bond index fund. If you have to do individual stocks, limit them to 10% of your total portfolio. As good as Tesla is as a company it is just one company and the uncompensated risk is too great just by itself. Don't let the quadrupling of its value ruin your investing discipline; that is my take-away message.

I like Buffett's approach/advice to this this. He says most people should invest in an index fund tracking the S&P500 (ie., SPY). His reasoning is because he's overall bullish on the American economy from a long-term perspective (ie., looking back over the past 100 years and looking forward). Also, most people don't have the time, energy and focus to do the research needed to be successful at investing large amounts in an individual company.

However, Buffett also says that if you can spend the time and energy to learn how to read companies (ie., annual reports, quarterlies, etc) and become an very knowledgable in a sector/industry, then you should NOT invest in an index fund but rather invest in an individual company (ie., the best of breed, defensible "moat", etc) after much due diligence and searching. He even says you just need to pick one every several years and over your lifetime if you've picked a good handful, then you'll have done multiple times better than the person who invested in just an index fund.

Oftentimes, people like to take shortcuts in investing (ie., invest because of hype going around or what someone says), but that can be dangerous. I advise always keeping a close hand at the objective, real data at hand (ie., product demand, growth, margins, revenue, leadership changes, sector changes, overall economy, etc.). I think the minimum is people should be reading the annual/quarterly reports and listening to all conference calls for the companies they're invested in.

The cool thing about TMC is you can get in touch with some on-the-ground real data points that can keep you in touch with the health/status of your investment in TSLA... like demand, owner satisfaction, production output, and overall get a decent feel of how the company is doing. Super valuable.

So here's the kicker...what do you do when you start out with 10%, that 10% is Tesla in October 2012 and it is now August of 2013?

So here's the kicker...what do you do when you start out with 10%, that 10% is Tesla in October 2012 and it is now August of 2013?

Right; this is a good problem to have, but if the stock owner didn't do anything it would have ballooned up to a 40% position by now? That would violate the too many eggs in one basket rule. The alternative would be to keep selling a portion of it all the way up to limit it to 10%. The returns could be less, but the risk is controlled better.

Right; this is a good problem to have, but if the stock owner didn't do anything it would have ballooned up to a 40% position by now? That would violate the too many eggs in one basket rule. The alternative would be to keep selling a portion of it all the way up to limit it to 10%. The returns could be less, but the risk is controlled better.

Or conversely, if your total holdings were on track with your personal financial plan, you could choose to let that 10% grow as big as it wanted to grow ... you're still on track with your financial plan. The other 90% hasn't lost value, it's still on track, it's just a smaller percentage of the whole. But it's not less money. Two ways to look at the same problem. I went with this way.

If TSLA completely tanked tomorrow, my portfolio remains in alignment with where I wanted my finances to be in 2013. And if TSLA continues the way it has been going, yay.

Or conversely, if your total holdings were on track with your personal financial plan, you could choose to let that 10% grow as big as it wanted to grow ... you're still on track with your financial plan. The other 90% hasn't lost value, it's still on track, it's just a smaller percentage of the whole. But it's not less money. Two ways to look at the same problem. I went with this way.

If TSLA completely tanked tomorrow, my portfolio remains in alignment with where I wanted my finances to be in 2013. And if TSLA continues the way it has been going, yay.

I'm on the same page Bonnie. I'm committed to seeing this through GEN III. I invested early and it was all or nothing money to help support Tesla.

I'm only losing sleep because it is so exciting!